Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13298459

Subject: "Widows- aka Hollywood wasting good black talent vs audience snoozing" Previous topic | Next topic
Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Tue Nov-20-18 07:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Widows- aka Hollywood wasting good black talent vs audience snoozing"

Which I'm not saying is what happens in Widows

Quite the opposite...it's pretty good, unconventional story (too unconventional?), solid cast, commentary on trump, local politics, race dynamics, McQueen setting up some ill visuals, good action, aaaaand currently bombing in ticket sales. Opening night late show was like 20% full

I wanted to make a post abt the studios wasting the likes of viola, Angela Bassett, fishburne, and other top level actors' whole careers, either as sidekicks/supporting characters or just not happening period bc the "serious" scripts/ projects with Black leads don't get made.

But the studios' argument is always that nobody goes to those films. They run algorithms with different actors,genres, etc to see if its worth giving $40M to a black director and black female lead to do a bank heist movie, and if its not projected to make money, typically the film doesnt get made. when one does get made, and immediately flames out, it reinforces the studios' argument. So it's back to kevin hart/tyler Perry comedies & rom-com, sad "important" and/or white saviour historical films (greenbook), or nothing.

So is it still #oscarssowhite and folk mad about no representation,
or is this too much analysis off one data point,
or is the audience just waiting on the sidelines for the next tiffany hadish & madea, or Michael b Jordan's abs in another reboot?

::BC every blakk film is a reflection on black Hollywood and calls for dissection of the black movie-going audience::

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Widows- aka Hollywood wasting good black talent vs audience snoozing [View all] , Riot, Tue Nov-20-18 07:39 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
White movies flop on the regular so none of this should matter.
Nov 20th 2018
Honestly, I thought it was mis-marketed. They made it look too serious.
Nov 20th 2018
it has so many actors in it
Nov 24th 2018
Its being distributed like an art house film.
Nov 20th 2018
am i wrong in feeling like Heat and Set it Off had a baby?
Nov 21st 2018
Made me want to just go and watch Heat
Nov 21st 2018
it was good.
Nov 21st 2018
      bruh.
Nov 24th 2018
i don't see an audience for Widows
Nov 21st 2018
Divorced and single women?
Nov 21st 2018
My guess is, people who like good movies.
Nov 21st 2018
I prolly would have been really interested in this if not for Michelle R...
Nov 21st 2018
Just saw it.Viola Davis should never carry a movie. It was good/decent
Nov 24th 2018
It was DOPE.
Nov 24th 2018
joint was pretty good...nice twist...I was pleased
Dec 09th 2018

Lobby General Discussion topic #13298459 Previous topic | Next topic