Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13296500

Subject: "Mass Shooting 12 dead , Thousand Oaks Ca. (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Thu Nov-08-18 08:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Mass Shooting 12 dead , Thousand Oaks Ca. (swipe)"

https://abc7.com/mass-shooting-reported-at-nightclub-in-thousand-oaks/4644573/

Mass shooting at Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks leaves 13 dead, including gunman

Updated 7 mins ago
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (KABC) -- A mass shooting at a Thousand Oaks nightclub left 13 people dead, including a Ventura County sheriff's sergeant and the gunman, authorities said Thursday morning.

Venutra County sheriff's Sgt. Eric Buschow, as well as Sheriff Geoff Dean, said the suspect was killed inside the venue. They did not want to count him among the 12 victims.

The shooting happened around 11:20 p.m. Wednesday at Borderline Bar & Grill at 99 Rolling Oaks Drive. Ventura County sheriff's officials said there were reports of shots fired at the club.

Authorities said hundreds of people were inside the bar when the gunfire rang out. In an interview, Buschow came close to tears and said he knows the wounded deputy.

"It's been a rough night for all of us," he said.

During a press briefing, Dean identified the sergeant as Ron Helus, a 29-year veteran of the department who considered retiring within the next year. At points he choked up, but said that Helus died a hero.

"Ron was a hardworking, dedicated sheriff's sergeant. He was totally committed. He gave his all and tonight, as I told his wife, he died a hero because he went in to save lives, to save other people," he said.

Dean also said in his 41 years in law enforcement, he'd never experienced a mass shooting.

"I never thought I would see the things around the country that would happen, but I've learned it doesn't matter what community you're in, it doesn't matter how safe your community is, it can happen anywhere," he said.

President Donald Trump tweeted that he has been "fully briefed on the terrible shooting." He praised law enforcement, saying "Great bravery shown by police" and said "God bless all of the victims and families of the victims."

Witness John Hedge, of Moorpark, said he saw a suspect throwing smoke bombs into the front of the restaurant. He also said he saw a security guard get shot.

"I was at the front door and I was talking to my stepdad. I just started hearing these big pops. Pop, pop, pop. There was probably three or four, I hit the ground. I look up - the security guard is dead. Well, I don't want to say he was dead, but he was shot.

"He was down. The gunman was throwing smoke grenades all over the place. I saw him point to the back of the cash register...and he just kept firing. I ran out the front door," he said.

Hedge added that there may have been about 12 shots by the time he got out of the door.

He said the gunman had a beard, wore a hat, had a black jacket and may have had glasses.

"I thought it was a joke when the shots started firing. I know people there. I hope everybody's OK. I don't know how I didn't get shot," the man said.

Tim, Hedge's stepfather, who was in tears, said he was next to the entrance about to leave after playing pool when smoke came into the room.

"He fired the first shot. I knew it was live. I knew it was real. My son thought it was a joke so I pulled him down and got some cover. I looked up and he was moving to the right. He shot the front doorman, who was just a young man. Then he shot the cashier, just a young girl.

"Then he started moving to the right. He wasn't looking at us. Then he went into the office, where all the cash and stuff is. He didn't say anything at all. He just started shooting," he said.

Multiple law enforcement agencies, including Simi Valley and Oxnard police, arrived to help sheriff's deputies and SWAT officers.

FBI agents were also headed to the scene.

The country bar is located near the 101 Freeway off Moorpark Road.

The website for Borderline showed that Wednesday nights are College Country Nights that last from 9 p.m. until 2 a.m. Colleges near the club are California Lutheran University and California State University, Channel Islands, as well as Moorpark, Ventura and Oxnard College.

Students from Pepperdine University in Malibu also often attend College Country Nights, and there may have been some at the bar Wednesday night. It was unclear how many, according to the university.

California Lutheran University sent an alert to students that all classes are canceled for the day.

An emergency hotline was established so that people could locate anyone who was at the bar.

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Mass Shooting 12 dead , Thousand Oaks Ca. (swipe) [View all] , LAbeathustla, Thu Nov-08-18 08:36 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
This whole thing is just crazy
Nov 08th 2018
That place is an institution, oddly.
Nov 08th 2018
I haven't been able to even keep track of these
Nov 08th 2018
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/us/thousand-oaks-gunman/index.html
Nov 08th 2018
sad times
Nov 08th 2018
this is gut-wrenching...
Nov 08th 2018
Vegas shooting survivors were at the Thousand Oaks shooting (link)
Nov 08th 2018
I would never leave the house again
Nov 08th 2018
Wasn't there someone at the Vegas shooting that had survived
Nov 08th 2018
That's absolutely nuts. There's now a mass shooting chain. *smh*
Nov 08th 2018
Six degrees of a mass shooting.
Nov 08th 2018
Here's how fucked this is
Nov 09th 2018
a dude killed last night had survived las vegas