Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13291121

Subject: "New Ishmael Butler/Shabazz Palaces + Erykah Badu relationship?" Previous topic | Next topic
BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Wed Oct-10-18 10:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Ishmael Butler/Shabazz Palaces + Erykah Badu relationship?"
Wed Oct-10-18 10:35 PM by BlakStaar

Y'all.

Y'ALL!!!

I am all over the place right now so let me just spit out three things that I want to chat about*.

1. Ishmael Butler and music partner Erik Blood have a new album out on Sub Pop that seems to have flown under the radar, at least in my world. None of my top three local record shops had it in stock and it's not because it sold out. They just never carried it. I just discovered it this week (face palm emoji) and I haven't listened to it yet. https://megamart.subpop.com/releases/knife_knights/1_time_mirage

2. Erykah Badu and Ishmael got something on. At least one of these things has transpired or is 'bout to pop off: a musical partnership or project, a romantic relationship, a baby or a platonic and endearing long-distance reverence for each other that has been on full display on social media. They've been hittin' at each other on Instagram for a minute. This is the most interesting post, from Erykah: https://www.instagram.com/p/BnawE4tH-83/?hl=en&taken-by=erykahbadu
Ish/Shabazz's account is now private but luckily I am already following him/the group: https://www.instagram.com/shabazzpalaces/. Ish is known to post and delete images. There are only nine posts, and one features Erykah with no caption.

Now, these are some weird, mad creative water signs in their 40s. And they are in my top 10 musicians list. I'm here for whatever is going on.

I did a quick Google search to see if they announced a song or somethin' and the first item that appeared was a September 2018 post on a site I don't normally f*ck with that didn't reveal much. A user suggested another thread there got deleted. Hmmm.

3. Does anyone know the status of the project Flying Lotus said he was working on with Shabazz Palaces and Thundercat? Hopefully, it's still in the works and they're just dealing with their crazy schedules.
Remember this? https://pitchfork.com/news/61398-flying-lotus-talks-woke-his-new-project-with-shabazz-palaces-and-thundercat/

*Yes, I am squeezing multiple topics in one post because OKP is not as active as it used to be. And I put this in GD because of the Erykah chatter. Admittedly, it's a bit gossipy. I normally don't engage in that but this is too juicy and exciting for me to not discuss. And I think OKP would be interested in whatever Ish and Erykah got cookin'.

Like, imagine if they did a project together...

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

New Ishmael Butler/Shabazz Palaces + Erykah Badu relationship? [View all] , BlakStaar, Wed Oct-10-18 10:07 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: New Ishmael Butler/Shabazz Palaces + Erykah Badu?
Oct 10th 2018
uhh ?
Oct 11th 2018
      RE: uhh ?
Oct 11th 2018
Thanks for the heads up! Didn't know about the Knife Knights project
Oct 11th 2018
i just found it randomly
Oct 11th 2018
new badu baby = new album
Oct 11th 2018
RE: new badu baby = new album
Oct 11th 2018
do you think she will be able/want to have children into her 70s though?
Oct 11th 2018
RE: do you think she will be able/want to have children into her 70s tho...
Oct 11th 2018
Umm wtf type of speech intro was that? Lmao
Oct 11th 2018
      C'mon, man. You probably got mad applause for opening like that
Oct 11th 2018
RE: new badu baby = FIYAH album
Oct 11th 2018
good lookin out
Oct 11th 2018
RE: New Ishmael Butler/Shabazz Palaces + Erykah Badu relationship?
Nov 14th 2018
RE: New Ishmael Butler/Shabazz Palaces + Erykah Badu relationship?
Nov 15th 2018
      so now we have to wait 3 more years for a new album?
Nov 15th 2018
           LOL...so true.
Nov 15th 2018

Lobby General Discussion topic #13291121 Previous topic | Next topic