Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13266049

Subject: "Woman steps in to help out teens - swipe" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13956 posts
Wed Jun-13-18 10:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Woman steps in to help out teens - swipe"

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/instead-shaming-woman-stepped-helped-two-boys-break-law-231707501.html

U.S.

Instead of shaming them, this woman stepped up and helped 2 boys about to break the law

Instead of letting the children fail, or shaming them, one Twitter user stepped into a situation to help two young boys.

Nanasia Music posted a thread onto her Twitter account detailing how she stepped up and possibly saved two black boys from a police encounter.

It was her way to pay it forward and to help the young boys the same way someone helped her when she was younger.

Silent but Loud
@NanasiaMusic
These two black kids were stealing out of Walmart Security was watching them So I told them whatever you got in your pockets right now walk with me to the register and don’t question me I copped the deoderant they were about to steal for them I couldn’t let them go to jail...

12:50 AM - Jun 11, 2018

Nanasia begins her story by approaching the two boys who were trying to steal from a Walmart. Instead of talking down to them she chose to help instead.

Silent but Loud
@NanasiaMusic
11 Jun
These two black kids were stealing out of Walmart Security was watching them So I told them whatever you got in your pockets right now walk with me to the register and don’t question me I copped the deoderant they were about to steal for them I couldn’t let them go to jail...

Silent but Loud
@NanasiaMusic
One of the young men said ma’am were so sorry but we needed it for practice we just didn’t have the money ...

12:52 AM - Jun 11, 2018

It was then Nanasia asked the boys about their family.

Silent but Loud
@NanasiaMusic
11 Jun
Replying to @NanasiaMusic
Wow so a lot of u are asking did I chastise them about stealing ... I asked them why didn’t you ask your mom or dad for the money ...

Silent but Loud
@NanasiaMusic
The other young male spoke and said our mom died last year it’s just me and my little brother and two sisters living with our granny ....

11:56 AM - Jun 11, 2018

While it was a simple act of kindness, it obviously meant a lot to the boys.

It also speaks volumes about how we never truly know another person’s struggles. These boys were just 13 and 14 years old, barely even teenagers. They had lost their mother and felt guilty asking their grandmother for a product they needed.

Silent but Loud
@NanasiaMusic
11 Jun
The other young male spoke and said our mom died last year it’s just me and my little brother and two sisters living with our granny ....

Silent but Loud
@NanasiaMusic
I said do u listen to Kendrick Lamar he said yes he’s one of my favs I said when he said I have royalty in my DNA he was referring to all Blk males It’s beneath you to steal anything you hear me the little one hung his head low and said yes ma’am

12:00 PM - Jun 11, 2018

Silent but Loud
@NanasiaMusic
11 Jun
I said and you couldn’t ask ur grand mother he said Ma’am she’s on public assistance so we try not to bother her ... I said how old are u he said 14 my brother is 13 my eyes swelled up with tears I opened my wallet and gave them all the cash I had

Silent but Loud
@NanasiaMusic
I said I know you don’t know me but here’s my number if you need a new auntie big sis call me ok the older one started crying and gave me the biggest hug

Of course, the security guard who was following the boys was not happy with her interference.

Ma’am he gave me a look of such anger like I took a notch off his belt that day I smiled and said not today not today u can’t have them https://t.co/60qTKangAf

— Silent but Loud (@NanasiaMusic) June 11, 2018

For Nanasia, this was just the way she grew up. She believes in guiding youth in the right direction, not waiting for them to mess up. Young people should be led in the right way when they need to be corrected, or in this case when they need help.

I’m just from the generation where adults didn’t pull out camera phones and tape the demise of a young blk male… they took the time to step in before it got way out of line … somebody did it for me so it was only right to redirect them ….

— Silent but Loud (@NanasiaMusic) June 11, 2018

Even Walmart tweeted her, cheering on her good deed.

Silent but Loud
@NanasiaMusic
11 Jun

Walmart

@Walmart
Be the person you needed when you were younger 🙌🏾

3:27 PM - Jun 11, 2018

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Woman steps in to help out teens - swipe [View all] , c71, Wed Jun-13-18 10:33 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
read this yesterday. this was sad, inspiring and noble...
Jun 13th 2018
Said it way better than I had planned to.
Jun 13th 2018
stealing deoderant tho..
Jun 13th 2018
^^
Jun 13th 2018
we're doing this as news now?
Jun 13th 2018

Lobby General Discussion topic #13266049 Previous topic | Next topic