Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13226768

Subject: "Harley Barber: "I can use that word, I'm in the South now"" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Thu Jan-18-18 08:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Harley Barber: "I can use that word, I'm in the South now""
Thu Jan-18-18 09:10 AM by legsdiamond

Racism is a helluva drug.

Dirty Jersey stand up!!!

https://nypost.com/2018/01/17/sorority-sister-booted-for-posting-profanity-laced-racist-videos/

A student at the University of Alabama has been expelled from the school and kicked out of a sorority after she posted racist videos on social media in which she repeatedly used the n-word.

Harley Barber, a 19-year-old New Jersey native, identified herself on Instagram as a member of the Alpha Phi sorority at the university in Tuscaloosa, where officials are now investigating the “ignorant and disturbing” remarks, AL.com reports.

“These remarks are ignorant and disturbing and in no way reflect the values of The University of Alabama,” university spokesman Chris Bryant said in a statement. “This unfortunate behavior has been reported to the Office of Student Conduct as it does not align with the community expectations of students at the Capstone.”

Barber has since said she’s received threatening phone calls over her remarks and apologized.

“I feel horrible,” she said. “I feel so, so bad and I am so sorry.”

In Barber’s first video, she appears to talk to a bathroom mirror after turning off the sink faucet.

“We do not waste water,” Barber said. “We don’t waste water because of people in Syria. I love how I act like I love black people because I f–king hate n—–s. So, that’s really interesting — I f—king hate n—–s, but I just saved the f–king n—–s by shutting that water off.”

In a second video, Barber seemingly addresses a growing backlash to her first video and comments left on her “finsta,” or fake Instagram account.

“I’ve wanted to be in Alpha Phi since f–king high school and nobody f—king understands how much I love Alpha Phi,” Barber says, staring directly at the camera. “And now someone wants to save my finsta because I said n—-r? You know what? N—-r, n—-r, n—-r. I don’t care if it’s Martin Luther King Day.”

One female voice can be heard off-camera suggesting that Barber not post the video, but she continues spewing pure hatred.

“I’m in the South now, bitch,” Barber continued. “So everyone can f–k off. I’m from New Jersey, so I can say n—-r as much as I want.”

As of Wednesday, the second video of Barber had been retweeted more than 5,000 times. It also caught the eye of Alabama running back Damien Harris, who tweeted that Barber’s videos disprove the claim that “racism is dead.”

A spokeswoman for the Alpha Phi International Fraternity confirmed to AL.com that Barber has been kicked out of the sorority’s University of Alabama chapter because of the “offensive and hateful” videos.

In a telephone interview with The Post, Barber, originally from Marlton, 20 miles east of Philadelphia, said she was in the process of returning to New Jersey on Wednesday after being expelled from the university.

“I did something really, really bad,” Barber told The Post. “I don’t know what to do and I feel horrible. I’m wrong and there’s just no excuse for what I did.”

Barber has been getting threatening phone calls in response to the videos, which “came out of nowhere,” she said.

Asked if she considered the advice from one of her friends who suggested that Barber not post the videos, Barber replied: “No, I’m an idiot. There’s no excuse. I did something really bad.”

University of Alabama president Stuart Bell called the videos “highly offensive and deeply hurtful.”

“The actions of this student do not represent the larger student body or the values of our University, and she is no longer enrolled here,” Bell said in a statement. “We hold our students to much higher standards, and we apologize to everyone who has seen the videos and been hurt by this hateful, ignorant and offensive behavior. This is not who we are; it is unacceptable and unwelcome here at UA.”

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Harley Barber: "I can use that word, I'm in the South now" [View all] , legsdiamond, Thu Jan-18-18 08:59 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
This one may require getting the spelling right
Jan 18th 2018
thanks!!!
Jan 18th 2018
The Alpha Phis at my school were chunky and friendly
Jan 18th 2018
she looks chunky and is prolly friendly as well
Jan 18th 2018
I have no doubts that she'll be fine and gainfully employable
Jan 18th 2018
Already vetting offers from conservative think tanks
Jan 19th 2018
Right. Black folks can't be thinking "friendly" white folks aren't racis...
Feb 18th 2018
      RE: Right. Black folks can't be thinking "friendly" white folks aren't r...
Feb 18th 2018
           Word
Feb 20th 2018
She had a whole squad hyping her in the “nigger nigger nigger” video...
Jan 18th 2018
      ^^^
Feb 18th 2018
A racist sorostitute. Why I've never seen such things.
Jan 18th 2018
You're back in Jersey now, bitch!
Jan 18th 2018
Right. Guess she learned that she can't.
Jan 18th 2018
why do all NJ white chicks look like that?
Jan 19th 2018
Lack of ethnic diversity in the region maintained by self segregation
Jan 19th 2018
What lack of ethnic diversity? Isn't a lot of NJ's cities
Feb 18th 2018
      Re: why all NJ white chicks look similar
Feb 18th 2018
      you don't say
Feb 20th 2018
      ..."ruled?"
Feb 20th 2018
It's the water?
Jan 19th 2018
      not all Jersey white chicks look like her but..
Feb 18th 2018
           RE: not all Jersey white chicks look like her but..
Feb 20th 2018
ugly is not a word I like to use to describe anyone, but...
Jan 19th 2018
A South Jersey broad with a name like a Mississippi Governor...
Feb 19th 2018
RE: A South Jersey broad with a name like a Mississippi Governor...
Feb 19th 2018

Lobby General Discussion topic #13226768 Previous topic | Next topic