Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13174137

Subject: "i hope they both lose. (link/swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Mon Jul-17-17 11:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"i hope they both lose. (link/swipe)"

http://www.thedailybeast.com/when-floyd-mayweather-shouts-faggot-this-is-what-lgbt-people-hear

WORD POWER
When Floyd Mayweather Shouts ‘Faggot,’ This Is What LGBT People Hear
Boxer Floyd Mayweather just called upcoming opponent Conor McGregor ‘faggot.’ This, alongside racism, has taken the men’s pre-bout baiting to a dark place far beyond trash talk.

Tim Teeman
07.14.17 8:30 PM ET

“Faggot.”

Floyd Mayweather shouted it at Conor McGregor today, Friday, in London.

To give his ugly litany proper context: “Punk. You faggot. You ho.”

There it is. Loud. Like a bullet. A knife. Threatening.

I’m ready for the “It’s only pre-match hype.” “It’s all pantomime.” “This happens in every big boxing match.” “None of them mean it.” “This is just boxers trash talking.”

Don’t bother. We can all hear how Mayweather says, and means, “faggot.” He means “faggot” when faggot means “gay,” when “gay” means “less of a man than me” who should be scared of me when I shout “faggot” at him, and know his lower, disgusting place. The ultimate, de-masculinizing insult.

That kind of “faggot.”

I suppose it counts as irony that this insult was flung as part of the whacked-out circus of two apparently straight men touring the world in ridiculous outfits, screaming at each other demented insults to promote a boxing match on Aug. 26 in Las Vegas to make them lots of money.

As Robert Silverman wrote in The Daily Beast: “Why did all the parties involved agree to go ahead with what’s sure to be a grim, flabby spectacle? The answer is simple and, well, not that simple: money.”

Mayweather said “faggot” just the way gay men, and men assumed to be gay, have heard “faggot” shouted, said, whispered, spat at them for centuries.

Maybe it’s good to hear it again, just so everyone can hear its ugliness, remember its ugliness, and remember what that ugliness stands for.

Mayweather’s ease at saying it on a world stage, in front of hundreds of cameras and now viewed by thousands, however, brings its own sanction, especially in this era when LGBTQ people are coming under greater attack.

Attacks in law, and attacks viewed by millions as part of a boxing promotion, do two things. They bring out lots of people who say how bad it is to say this kind of stuff which is all very nice, but they also make the saying and doing of bad things, like shouting “faggot” at people, and thinking that is OK, that much more standard.

You might call it the genie-out-of-the-bottle principle.

If this all sounds a little dramatic, and you’ve never been called a “faggot,” here’s a primer.

You never know when it’s coming. You might be at school. You might be in a restroom. You might be going to lunch. You might be leaving a bar or club. You may be with friends. You may be on a bus or train. At night. During the day. But every time it scythes the air. And you think: Really? Now? You may not be out as gay, you may be coming out. You may not even be gay.

But the threat is suddenly there. This isn’t “faggot” as gays reclaimed it, this is “faggot” as the bigots with their fists, guns, weapons, and whatever else they have to injure and degrade gay people intend it to be heard. As an attack on you as a man, their idea of what a man is, which isn’t gay.

And, ironically as Mayweather said this as a prelude to beating another man up, it often comes with the threat of a fist or worse. “Faggot” can be the last thing you hear before you are injured or worse.

Anti-gay bullying at school, anti-gay violence on the street, homophobic murders, homophobic laws, the idea of gay men as lesser men: They all have “faggot” like a maggot at their center.

Hell, the word can even be carved into both your arms—“Die Fag” to be precise—by your attackers. Perhaps Mayweather thinks that sounds pretty cool.

Mayweather’s “faggot” also emerged as part of a bizarrely, overly executed parade of anger and aggression between the two men.

All week Mayweather and McGregor have been involved in a spectacularly debasing scramble to the bottom of the barrel when it comes to pre-bout baiting, with homophobia and racism being flung as carelessly as mud on a rainy day.

For minorities who fear that both those ugly phenomena are now returning to the public and political arena in ever more alarming ways, here were two grown men willing to prove it in the name of publicity, and to line their wallets.

One hopes the hatred they spout, and encourage among the public, is worth it.

In the American arm of this pair’s publicity tour, McGregor had described the black boxers in Apollo Creed’s gym in Rocky III as “dancing monkeys.”

Mayweather responded: “I don’t like the fact that he called blacks ‘monkeys.’ I think that’s totally disrespectful. Saying a lot of racist things today to black women, I have two black daughters and a black mother… He’s crossing the line, I can’t focus on that right now. I’m here to do a job and my job is to go out there and entertain but he’s out there losing a lot of fans.”

McGregor then defended himself, “Let’s address the race,” he said. “A lot of media seem to be saying I’m against black people. That’s absolutely fucking ridiculous. Do they not know I’m half-black? Yeah. I’m half-black from the belly button down.”

Way to go. Counter a racism charge with something even more racist.

Can’t they just punch the living hell out of each other, pick up their insanely large paychecks, and be done with it?

McGregor then tried to save face at a subsequent interview. “That doesn’t really sit well with me,” he said of the charge of racism. “I’m very multi-cultured, and I don’t have any ill-feelings towards anybody. I don’t even see color. I just wanted to say something and have a little bit of fun with it. I just wanted to play with it and address it in my own little way. It’s stupid and ridiculous. Basically that’s what I was getting at.”

Will Mayweather offer any kind of apology or mea culpa for “faggot”? Doubtful. His father, Floyd Mayweather Sr. loves the word “faggot.” He once called Manny Pacquiao “one of the biggest faggots on the planet.”

Amir Khan, he told an interviewer, was a “fag ass and sissy,” who didn’t deserve to benefit from a payday following a fight with his son because “he’s a fag.”

Pacquiao himself, not to be outdone by Mayweather Sr., called gay people “worse than animals.” He is now a senator in the Philippines.

Mayweather Jr.’s words today sound ugly because in 2017, “faggot”—said with the despicable venom Mayweather said it with—we thought was as verboten on our TV screens as the N-word rightly is. Apparently not.

Mainstream boxing has a long and inglorious relationship with not just the F-word but homosexuality in general.

The world welter- and middleweight champion Emile Griffith accidentally killed an opponent, Benny Paret, in 1962 during a bout—this after Paret had incensed him at the weigh-in by calling him a “maricón,” Spanish slang for “faggot.”

Lennox Lewis denied he was gay, despite rumors to the contrary, claiming he was a “woman’s man” in a TV confrontation with Hasim Rahman in 2001.

In 2015, heavyweight world champion Tyson Fury’s homophobia came accompanied by Bible verses, and instructions to “Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.”

One of the most astonishing tirades—for its mixing of violence, race, sex, power, homophobia, and lyrical poetry—was Mike Tyson’s against a reporter, who in 2002 said Tyson should be in a straitjacket.

“I’ll put your mother in a straitjacket, you punk-ass white boy. Come here and tell me that, and I’ll fuck you in your ass, you punk white boy, you faggot... I’ll eat your asshole alive, you bitch... You scared, coward, you’re not man enough to fuck with me, you can’t last two minutes in my world, bitch. Look at you, scared now, you ho. Scared like a little white pussy, scared of the real man. I’ll fuck you till you love me, faggot.”

There is, you might say, quite a lot going on there—and all of the toxic masculinity that boxing freely encourages is wrapped up in it.

Tyson, like Mayweather Jr., has a history of domestic violence. In boxing, it seems, masculinity—of the most hyper-aggressive kind—must be averred at all times out of the ring as well as in it.

And yet boxing has its own strange camp to it. It is not enough for Mayweather and McGregor to snarl at each other in tight briefs at a weigh-in, their groin bulges nearly touching, flexing, and posing.

The only thing to do in such an overtly homoerotic situation to assert your rampant heterosexuality is to scream that the other guy’s a faggot. Or hit him. Or turn away and flex.

Or what? You might just do the most natural thing in the surreal circumstance and kiss him, or grab a handful. Or enquire how he got his amazing delts.

Instead, Mayweather and McGregor, these big, butch men, must be mean to each other for months in confected theatrical situations before actually hitting one another. Even the most dedicated Mean Girl would not have the energy for this.

Within this demented arena of aggression and dollars, Mayweather and McGregor have shown themselves this week to be the worst kind of men, the most pathetic, the least manly, the least admirable, and the worst possible examples to young people.

For all their muscles and menace, their insults based on skin color and sexuality show us how weak they are.

Well, if it pays their bills and makes them feel badass—fine. But they should know that they are weaker than any gay man or black person they have invoked and insulted.

We have had real fists and real insults thrown and jabbed in our faces, and we know that while racists and homophobes are vile and sometimes terrifying they are also less than nothing. We know their weakness as soon as we hear them say “faggot.”

There is also the example of Orlando Cruz, the first professional boxer to come out as gay in 2012, who told Der Spiegel of what he would he would say to an opponent who called him the F-word: “What? You call me a faggot? Okay, if you like. But you’d better watch out, because I’m the faggot who’s going to kick your ass.”

You might argue that answering violence with violence is never the answer—though you might also argue that the moronic homophobes in boxing, so long left to spew their prejudice with impunity, really have it coming.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

i hope they both lose. (link/swipe) [View all] , HotThyng76, Mon Jul-17-17 11:39 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Yeah, they both suck
Jul 17th 2017
Now I get why they're fighting
Jul 17th 2017
agreed.
Jul 17th 2017
it's a scam. mayweather has built up his image as unlikeable black guy
Jul 17th 2017
Someone in 2017 really wrote a thinkpiece on how much
Jul 17th 2017
U didn't see the video.
Jul 17th 2017
      No need, there are multiple videos of Floyd calling
Jul 17th 2017
           oh i'm fine.
Jul 17th 2017
                Society lost, they both win this round.
Jul 17th 2017
                     so it seems.
Jul 17th 2017
                     lol @ loss for earth :(
Jul 19th 2017
the journalist seems to expect a lot from brutes
Jul 17th 2017
like the homophobe all you want.
Jul 17th 2017
      umm...I dont *like* or dislike Mayweather
Jul 17th 2017
           *yawns*
Jul 17th 2017
Words words words
Jul 17th 2017
it's all words words words until i talk about your family again.
Jul 17th 2017
      Nah, those are just words too
Jul 17th 2017
           *yawns*
Jul 17th 2017
                lol @ this exchange
Jul 17th 2017
                     he's no different than these fighters
Jul 17th 2017
                          ^^ trash.
Jul 17th 2017
Jul 17th 2017
boxer says offensive shit. shocker
Jul 17th 2017
LOL The GAys are up in arms about a boxer saying Faggot.
Jul 17th 2017
We live in an outrage era
Jul 17th 2017
RE: LOL The Blacks are mad about an athlete from Boston saying nigger
Jul 17th 2017
It's Boston... no one would be shocked
Jul 17th 2017
      who said anything about shock?
Jul 17th 2017
           Your attempt failed.
Jul 18th 2017
Y'all niggas would be flipping out if Connor said nigger tho
Jul 17th 2017
He already called him boy
Jul 17th 2017
so it's not cool when MacGregor says 'dance for me, boy'.
Jul 17th 2017
pretty much
Jul 17th 2017
^ own that ugliness.
Jul 17th 2017
      seek help and be blessed.
Jul 17th 2017
           blah blah blah.
Jul 17th 2017
                lmao! you're killing me today
Jul 17th 2017
                     the "farts" has me dying
Jul 17th 2017
Y'all being really turrbl. like for real
Jul 17th 2017
^^^
Jul 19th 2017
ppl still say "the gays"?
Jul 19th 2017
      lol, right... I had to check what year it was
Jul 19th 2017
Anything for a Headline
Jul 17th 2017
They are both pieces of shit, fuck 'em and anyone paying for this crap
Jul 17th 2017
^^^
Jul 17th 2017
hello
Jul 17th 2017
I liked this version of the press conference:
Jul 17th 2017
Lol!
Jul 17th 2017
They get hit in the face for money. They already lost.
Jul 17th 2017
Ohmuhgawd!.... That's the last straw!
Jul 17th 2017
My personal favorite reply in this post
Jul 18th 2017
LOL
Jul 19th 2017
Don't listen to some of Tyson's old press conferences lol
Jul 18th 2017
lol
Jul 18th 2017
      "I'll eat your kids" was mild compared to this lol:
Jul 18th 2017
           Whew
Jul 18th 2017
           Shit that killed me was
Jul 19th 2017
                you know? LOL
Jul 19th 2017
                He's Mike Tyson, at the time he was "the baddest man on the planet"...
Jul 19th 2017
                     what?
Jul 19th 2017
Are you ppl going to keep validating this degenerative trash talk? (Link...
Jul 19th 2017
Im confused at how everyone's saying 'its just boxing
Jul 19th 2017
      Agreed.
Jul 19th 2017
      Wrestling has way better trash talk than this shit lol
Jul 19th 2017
      Yup! Im not opposed to some good trash talking
Jul 19th 2017
      This will be one of the biggest fights of all time
Jul 19th 2017
      That was the working title before it was called Birth Of A Nation
Jul 19th 2017
      but it is, we're talking about dudes that get hit in the head for a livi...
Jul 19th 2017
           Absolutely. They are touring this trash talk across multiple cities
Jul 19th 2017
           Yeah, this whole tour looks rushed and clumsy
Jul 19th 2017
           Mofos mad cause barbarians are acting like Barbarians
Jul 19th 2017
                Exactly lol...
Jul 19th 2017
McGregor is bad enough
Jul 19th 2017
what do you mean going along with it?
Jul 19th 2017
      Floyd tried to pretend like he had a problem
Jul 19th 2017
Trash ppl excuse it.
Jul 19th 2017
i wonder if it matters to them that Connor is being propped up by alt-ri...
Jul 19th 2017
      i suppose they're focused on the race-baiting and excuse
Jul 19th 2017
i cringed when i saw the vid - its gonna take an openly gay elite-calibe...
Jul 19th 2017
They both got smrt ppl around them.
Jul 19th 2017
this dude is a champ, literally, and he got an org that fights for that
Jul 19th 2017
I'm noticing a ton of overlap with flat earthers
Jul 19th 2017
both of them get punched in the head for a living
Jul 19th 2017
i wish they could be as smart as you.
Jul 19th 2017

Lobby General Discussion topic #13174137 Previous topic | Next topic