Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12981916

Subject: "cwta the Lando/Winston syndrome?" Previous topic | Next topic
rdhull
Charter member
33140 posts
Thu Mar-03-16 01:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"cwta the Lando/Winston syndrome?"

Watching Ghostbusters back in the day and everytime since it came out, I was halted by how the Winbston character was written.

When the shit came down and they were in the mayirs office debating and dealing with the end of the world, he stated "I gotta get me own lawyer" as if he was not down with the GB crew. Even after he witnessed all the ghostly hijinx as a worker with them.

This seemingly made a seperation of them and him but when the mayor gave the a-ok for the Ghostbusters to do their thing and save the city, Winston was right there with them packin on gear and doing the dman thing.

In the greatest space epic called The Empire Strikes back (see what I did there?), Lando is seen as conning Han, Leia and the crew.

He explained at the con reveal that Vader and company arrived before they did and Im sure they put Lando and Cloud City Crew on the screws. Lando as I stated, told Han etc as much. Then later on when Lando enters the cell theyre holding Han and them in, Chewie attacks him and later attacks him when he aids Leia in escaping and trying to save Han.

This was written as lando beein untrustworthy etc and we know that thats what he and Han are deep down anyways, but again in a time when black folk were not as prevelant in major big budget sci-fi or fantasy, why write some of these black characters as dubious?

Shits always bugged me. Even though they later were seen to be virtuous.

What do yall think about this ?

That Ghostbusters thread and Leslie brought this back to mind.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

cwta the Lando/Winston syndrome? [View all] , rdhull, Thu Mar-03-16 01:01 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
seen and seen. however, at the time, ppl was just celebrating
Mar 03rd 2016
RE: seen and seen. however, at the time, ppl was just celebrating
Mar 03rd 2016
      Man look, Lando lasted for two movies without being killed
Mar 03rd 2016
           ^^^gotta take it for the time that it was.
Mar 03rd 2016
           Plus his cape was fly as fuck, and he was in charge of a whole city
Mar 03rd 2016
           so putting a cloud over a black character is cool as long as the outcome
Mar 03rd 2016
                I respect your viewpoint, but I can't even fathom
Mar 03rd 2016
                RE: so putting a cloud over a black character is cool as long as the out...
Mar 03rd 2016
Lando was a scoundrel just like Han.
Mar 03rd 2016
imo, this is why han shooting first matters
Mar 03rd 2016
RE: Lando was a scoundrel just like Han.
Mar 03rd 2016
Exactly. Let us not forget Vader is a sith lord
Mar 03rd 2016
I don't see the problem with Winston
Mar 03rd 2016

Lobby General Discussion topic #12981916 Previous topic | Next topic