Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12913110

Subject: "Eddie Murphy and the Long-Awaited Cosby Joke" Previous topic | Next topic
thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41515 posts
Mon Oct-19-15 12:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Eddie Murphy and the Long-Awaited Cosby Joke"

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/10/eddie-murphy-bill-cosby-standup/411277/

Eddie Murphy and the Long-Awaited Cosby Joke

While accepting the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor, Murphy launched into a brutal impression of the star, in his first stand-up routine in 28 years.

When Saturday Night Live aired its 40th anniversary episode in February, many hoped it might be the perfect occasion for Eddie Murphy to return to stand-up comedy. They were off about the timing—but only by a little. The moment fans had been waiting 28 years for finally came when Murphy did five minutes of material while accepting the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor at the Kennedy Center on Sunday night. His target: Bill Cosby. Though that might be the comedic equivalent of low-hanging fruit these days, Murphy’s jokes marked a deliberate shift in his own thinking on the subject in recent months.

Murphy’s impression of Cosby is already legend. It memorably leads off his film Raw, where he recalls Cosby chastising him for using too much bad language in his previous stand-up set, Delirious. Murphy was asked to reprise his act for SNL 40, in a sketch that mocked Cosby’s shattered public image. But he turned down the opportunity, only giving a brief “thank you” speech on the show and telling no other jokes. (Kenan Thompson did the sketch.) “There’s nothing funny about it,” he told The Washington Post. “If you get up there and you crack jokes about him, you’re just hurting people. You’re hurting him. You’re hurting his accusers.” So what changed?

At the Twain Prize ceremony, which will air on PBS on November 23, Murphy noted that Cosby had won the prestigious comedy award in 2009, and hadn’t yet been asked to give his trophy back. He then launched into an impression of a foul-mouthed Cosby refuting such a demand, further jabbing at the contrast between his clean image and the horrifying accusations of sexual assault that more than 50 women have made against him. Ironically, Cosby twice turned down the Twain Prize before accepting it, because he was unhappy at the “profanities used” in the 1998 ceremony celebrating inaugural winner Richard Pryor.

Murphy has long seemed to understand Cosby’s hypocrisy, at least since the release of Raw marked the end of the former’s stand-up work. And he reportedly worked hard on the material he debuted at the Kennedy Center, running through the jokes with Arsenio Hall and Chris Rock in a D.C. hotel room beforehand. “ said, ‘Because Cosby gonna get sick of this soon, he’s gonna get sick of people hating, and eventually he’s gonna have to say something,’” Hall told The Washington Post. “And we were like, ‘That is funny, man. Are you willing?’”

So why did it take until now for Murphy to rise to the occasion? The SNL sketch represented a perfect opportunity, but the stage may have been too grand—the viewing audience was huge, and Murphy may not have wanted to make his return performing material he didn’t write (the sketch was Norm McDonald’s creation). “I was like, ‘Hey, I’m coming back to SNL for the anniversary, I’m not turning my moment on the show into this other thing,’” he told The Washington Post.

So it was a pleasant surprise to see one of the most famous comedians alive returning to the stage on his own terms, and the fact that he used the platform to mock Cosby will likely make even bigger waves. Murphy has become more reclusive in recent years. He’s even stopped appearing in mediocre Hollywood comedies, which were the backbone of his career in the 1990s and 2000s. His Kennedy Center appearance might signal the start of third act in a storied career, or might just be a fascinating throwback to remind fans of his legacy. Either way, it’s still clear that if Murphy tells jokes, people will listen.

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Eddie Murphy and the Long-Awaited Cosby Joke [View all] , thegodcam, Mon Oct-19-15 12:28 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
in light of this
Oct 19th 2015
haha
Oct 19th 2015
all things considered, that was pretty harmless
Oct 19th 2015
      ^^^^
Oct 19th 2015
Chris Rock showed photos
Oct 19th 2015
nah everyone has cell phones and mouths
Oct 19th 2015
Even Dick Gregory chuckled a little
Oct 19th 2015
Could be gas or he was laughing about how the Nazis invaded the moon
Oct 19th 2015
      ^^ Sadly, I agree with this statement
Oct 19th 2015
      LOL!
Oct 19th 2015
      Im mad i laughed at that
Oct 20th 2015
      HAHA
Oct 20th 2015
Eddie didn't go in on him. however Eddie showed what I already knew
Oct 19th 2015
If we're strictly speaking 'on the stage'....
Oct 20th 2015
      well we all haver our opinions
Oct 20th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12913110 Previous topic | Next topic