Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12876738

Subject: "Heavily armed Oath Keepers descend on Ferguson" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79730 posts
Tue Aug-11-15 10:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Heavily armed Oath Keepers descend on Ferguson"

http://news.yahoo.com/heavily-armed-oath-keepers-inject-unease-riot-hit-085709866.html

FERGUSON, Mo. (Reuters) - Four civilians carrying military-style rifles and sidearms patrolled a riot-torn street in Ferguson, Missouri, early Tuesday, saying they were there to protect a media organization but drawing swift criticism from police and protesters alike.

The appearance of the four men, all white, quickly drew stares in the mostly black neighborhood, which exploded into violence again on Sunday night as protesters marked the police killing of an unarmed black teen a year ago.

The men identified themselves as part of a group called "Oath Keepers," which describes itself as an association of current and former U.S. soldiers and police who aim to protect the U.S. Constitution.

The Southern Poverty Law Center, a non-profit civil rights organization, has described the "Oath Keepers" as a "fiercely anti-government, militaristic group," and St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar condemned their appearance in Ferguson.

"Their presence was both unnecessary and inflammatory," he said, adding that police would work with county prosecutors to see if the men had broken any laws.

Led by a man who gave his name only as John, the group, whose members wore bulletproof vests and carried sidearms in addition to combat-style rifles, said they had come to protect a journalist from the conservative "Infowars.com" Web site.

"There were problems here, there were people who got hurt. We needed to be prepared for that," said the man, who noted that Missouri state laws generally allow the open carrying of heavy weapons of the kind that his group were brandishing.

InfoWars could not be reached for immediate comment.

Ferguson has seen months of violent protest since the fatal shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown by a white police officer a year ago. Sunday night's protests were punctuated by gunfire, with police shooting and critically wounding a man who they said had opened fire on them.

Monday's protests were less chaotic, with about nine people arrested in skirmishes with police that saw protesters throw rocks and bottles at officers.

But many in the crowd questioned the wisdom of openly carrying such heavy weapons into an emotionally charged situation.

"You’re going to bring some uncommissioned citizens, white citizens, into a black community like this? It's disrespectful," said Talal Ahmad, 30, who is black and has been a fixture of the last year's protests, which prompted a Justice Department review that found Ferguson's police department routinely violated city residents' civil rights.

"Here, in a black neighborhood, we’re already living in a state of terror," Ahmad said.

(This version of the story corrects description of rifles to military-style from automatic in first paragraph)

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Heavily armed Oath Keepers descend on Ferguson [View all] , legsdiamond, Tue Aug-11-15 10:05 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
apparently open carry in the hood is the solution to gun violence.
Aug 11th 2015
So let me see if I get this straight....
Aug 11th 2015
Its a fucked up disconnect that's been bothering me.
Aug 11th 2015
nakedly so.
Aug 11th 2015
what also gets to me
Aug 11th 2015
anti-government == anti-black in their circles
Aug 11th 2015
they said they are there to protect the MEDIA - not the protesters
Aug 11th 2015
Praying brothers in the street willl work it out.
Aug 11th 2015
Some diseases have no cure
Aug 11th 2015
Any connection between Oath Keepers and Tyrone Harris being shot
Aug 11th 2015
That are starting to come out of the woods people.
Aug 11th 2015
I have no problem with the oath keepers because they are smart
Aug 11th 2015
how much do you know about the Oath Keepers? (link)
Aug 11th 2015
^^^ didn't want to just jump on the subjectiveness of calling them smart
Aug 11th 2015
      IMO the 2nd part of her statement is the more problematic part.
Aug 11th 2015
      Imo i think they are smart because they are organized and know the law
Aug 11th 2015
           RE: John Crawford and Tamir Rice disagree with you
Aug 11th 2015
                We do have rights. We just have too many bad apples who ruin
Aug 11th 2015
                     You do realize folks are getting arrested, right now in Ferguson
Aug 11th 2015
                     I agree...this is embarrassing
Aug 12th 2015
oh my damn...lol
Aug 11th 2015
these mfers smh
Aug 11th 2015
I'm mouthing off to an Oath Keeper off gp.
Aug 12th 2015
i think theyre there in a taunting capacity
Aug 12th 2015
Soooo Oath Keepers are arming Protesters. Huh?
Aug 18th 2015
wasnt expecting that
Aug 18th 2015
Not at all. But in a non-racist world it makes more sense.
Aug 18th 2015
      Yup. Who wouldda thunk it?
Aug 18th 2015
RE: Soooo Oath Keepers are arming Protesters. Huh?
Aug 18th 2015
oh shit! i like that. lol
Aug 18th 2015
...I wasn't expecting that at all. I retract my sarcasm.
Aug 18th 2015
Oathkeepers are OKPs and they are doing this to spite yall cynicism.
Aug 18th 2015
RE: Soooo Oath Keepers are planning on arming Protesters.
Aug 18th 2015
GOTDAMMIT THEY SPUN SHIT AROUND ON MEH
Aug 18th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12876738 Previous topic | Next topic