Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12869815

Subject: "Redbox has some underrated gems, mang" Previous topic | Next topic
Doronmonkflake
Member since Jan 10th 2007
11078 posts
Mon Aug-03-15 12:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Redbox has some underrated gems, mang"
Mon Aug-03-15 12:54 AM by Doronmonkflake

Movies I've found and loved at Redbox:

Ex Machina-- Insanely cerebral, haunting and self-reflective. Strangely fits almost flawlessly into the canon of AMC's Humans. It almost feels like a prequel to me.

Revenge for Jolly-- Dog murder revenge was a motivation long before John Wick. But unlike John Wick, the guys in this movie ruminate over every possible reason to get some getback. It has the rare and continual gift of being truly unpredictable. It gives you an expectation and smashes it. Over and over. I sat awake in my bed until dawn, wishing I could change the ending. Just wouldn't leave me alone. Oh, Oscar Isaac is in both of these films. That dude is kinda awesome to me.

What We Do in the Shadows-- Despite sounding like some Cinemax bidnis, it's actually an Office-style mockumentary about New Zealand vampires. Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clement are the stars and writers. They also made Eagle vs. Shark, which was a NZ indie classic. The coolest thing about the film is the incredible line it wobbles on between giggles and "Hold up, rewind that. What did I just see-- nooooooooooo!!!!!!" In that sense, I put it in my box with Cabin in the Woods and Tucker and Dale. Beautiful beautiful work. Highly recommend it.

The Book of Life-- The creators of El Tigre (my favorite Nick cartoon post-90s) took to discussing the Mexican view of the afterlife. Using CGI sugar skulls and matador marionettes, they take you from pedestrian Earth to the depths of the underworld and through generations of familial obligation. One boy is destined for the bullfight ring, the other will be a soldier. Both must make their fathers proud. Both love the same girl. I kicked myself for missing this in the theaters because I think it was in 3-d and some of the sequences were prolly awesome. Tears were shed. I won't lie.

What are some of the ones you've enjoyed lately?

Da bayball, babeh. (c) Charlie Kelly.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Redbox has some underrated gems, mang [View all] , Doronmonkflake, Mon Aug-03-15 12:53 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
underrated is a terrible description
Aug 03rd 2015
Sorry you feel that way.
Aug 03rd 2015
      Ex Machina needed a wrap it up button...
Aug 03rd 2015
What We Do In The Shadows
Aug 03rd 2015
RE: What We Do In The Shadows
Aug 04th 2015
What We Do in the Shadows is good! I saw it in theater
Aug 04th 2015
they had an answer for pretty much everything. I love that
Aug 04th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12869815 Previous topic | Next topic