Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12686781

Subject: "Airlines Sue 22yo who found method for cheaper fares" Previous topic | Next topic
nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Tue Dec-30-14 12:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Airlines Sue 22yo who found method for cheaper fares"
Tue Dec-30-14 12:38 AM by nipsey

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/finding-cheap-airfare-made-easier-with-skiplagged-startup/

December 19, 2014, 6:53 AM
Skiplagged site helps navigate cheaper airfare

Airfares seem to keep climbing, but a 22-year-old computer whiz found a way to save hundreds of dollars on airline tickets. With a few clicks of the mouse, Skiplagged can help find what's called "hidden city" airfares, CBS News' Michelle Miller reports.

With little more than a mattress on the floor, Aktarer Zaman's tiny New York apartment serves as the hub of Skiplagged's operations.

The name, while unique, wasn't his own idea.

"It was my little sister. I came up with a real terrible name I am not going to say," he said. "I was baking cookies but like in cupcake cups, so just for a temporary name I called it Cup Cookies."

Fortunately for Zaman, the Skiplagged name stuck. Now up to 200,000 users visit his site each day, many of them looking for hidden city tickets.

It works like this: A traveler looking to fly from Newark to Miami might find it's actually cheaper to buy a ticket to Charleston with a stopover in Miami.

At the time, the direct flight was $541 while the Skiplagged route was $325.

Yahoo Travel Executive Editor Laura Begley Bloom said hidden-city ticketing has been around for years.

"This has been a dirty little secret of the travel industry for a really long time," Bloom said. "Then along came Skiplagged, and your average traveler suddenly knew about it."

It only works with one-way tickets and no checked bags. And while it's not illegal to fly this way, most airlines prohibit it.

"Think about it; they could have flown you at a higher rate into that middle city and then booked somebody for that next leg too, so it's a revenue loss for them. If they catch you on it, they say that they'll freeze your frequent flier miles," Bloom said. "They might not let you book tickets in the future; they might not let you take a return flight. It's really pretty threatening."

In a federal lawsuit filed last month, United Airlines, one of the world's largest carriers, and Orbitz, said, "Zaman has intentionally and maliciously used Skiplagged to damage businesses."

Zaman insisted his site only provides information and does not actually book tickets.

Orbitz calls that "disingenuous." United told "CBS This Morning" it was trying to "protect the vast majority of customers who buy legitimate tickets."

"I haven't made any money from this," Zaman said. "This is privately funded through my own funds."

Those funds, Zaman said, are now running low, so he's asking for donations to help him get through the unfriendly skies ahead.

© 2014 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Airlines Sue 22yo who found method for cheaper fares [View all] , nipsey, Tue Dec-30-14 12:25 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Whoaaa I always wondered if that would be possible
Dec 30th 2014
It's definitely cheaper
Dec 30th 2014
Lmao. That would be fucked up.
Dec 30th 2014
Apparently people have been doing it for years
Dec 30th 2014
it's also cheaper to buy round trip tickets instead of one way
Dec 30th 2014
smh. corporations be on some bullshit
Dec 30th 2014
i must b missing something, cause it still sounds weak to sue him
Dec 30th 2014
no. the ariline cannot sell the second part of your ticket bc u have it ...
Dec 30th 2014
      ok....this
Dec 30th 2014
      these pricing schemes are done because of #FARE WARZ
Dec 30th 2014
      Good Explanation.
Dec 30th 2014
could only see myself doing this if i was broke
Dec 30th 2014

Lobby General Discussion topic #12686781 Previous topic | Next topic