Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13488710

Subject: "I used to, but figured out an better way to communicate." Previous topic | Next topic
tariqhu
Charter member
17936 posts
Wed Jul-19-23 05:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I used to, but figured out an better way to communicate."
In response to In response to 0

now the discussions are more question/answer. lots more engaging and helps make sure I'm listening while also giving direction.

my daughter recently talked about dropping out of school and going into music as a producer. mind you, she's never create any piece of music ever. she played violin early in life and was actually pretty good, but it didn't stick.

asked her what the plan was. she didn't have one. ahh, you only have an idea. that's probably not gonna work. gave her the bigger picture. showed her what a producer does. showed her they only average 50ish a year. and reiterated the phrase 'starving artist' exist for a reason.

never told her not to do it, but do it in addition to doing college. it was a good talk and now she seems to have better understanding. it was a very calm talk and she even thanked me for talking to her. that was new lol.

as for your nephew, maybe approach him in more conversational way to see if he'll open up. don't go into with the idea of changing who he is because that's up to him. talk him like an adult. directness is cool unless it lacks compassion. if you have time, offer to spend some with him. maybe he just needs to see that somebody cares about him.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Parents: Do you lecture your Kids? [View all] , Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jul-19-23 10:50 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
no. my son has the straightest moral rudder...
Jul 19th 2023
Yeah 8 year olds are great on moral clarity
Jul 19th 2023
each kid is different
Jul 19th 2023
this MIGHT be the way to go
Jul 19th 2023
this is good
Jul 20th 2023
I be wondering lol
Jul 20th 2023
as they grow it is more about giving your advice
Jul 21st 2023
Yes, but only when I have to. It’s not too often.
Jul 19th 2023
My oldest is almost six. I lecture instead of spank
Jul 20th 2023
20 minutes? You sound like Charlie Browns teacher
Jul 25th 2023
      That's the point
Jul 25th 2023
           I dont spank.. but I also dont talk for 20 minutes, lol
Jul 26th 2023
                Your six year old is your youngest
Jul 26th 2023
Wisdom cannot be imparted