Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13293438

Subject: "From a friend of a friend (when it hits close to home)" Previous topic | Next topic
Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Tue Oct-23-18 10:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"From a friend of a friend (when it hits close to home)"

Here in Sunny California, out in the OC where it's currently the year 2018 (I'm presuming) & a pleasant breezy 71°, I'd like to share that today makes the 3rd time in 6 weeks that I have been verbally assaulted by someone too busy minding my business, and the second time I've had the cops called on me because someone didn't believe my car was my car.

So 20 minutes ago (approx 1pm PST) I'm leaning into my trunk looking for something and a young white guy walks by and is glancing over and then doubles back my way:

Young White Guy (YWG) :

A. Saw me in my trunk looking for something
B.) Walks up and asks me if it's my car
C.) I look at him & don't answer & go back to shuffling through my training crate (I'm looking for my clutch that I carry with me when I'm training so I can go inside and get some food and I'm worried I left it at the Sephora I just left)
D.) Asks me again and then says, "hey look I'm gonna get security if you don't answer me"
E.) I glance at him & chuckle to myself & shake my head & say "how else did I get in the trunk w/o the alarm going off? (Also I'm dressed in chic business casual clothing, tattoos covered, face flawless, hair pulled back and pinned up & minimal jewelry because I just came from training...so I'm not in my usual jeans, hoodie, & eyebrows)
F.) He responds and says "idk you could be a pro - does your key FOB say Land Rover? Let me see it"
E.) I look at him fully to make sure I'm correct in my thinking that a random white guy is minding my black *** business & legit demanding to see my keys to my truck out in the parking lot of a Whole Foods!?
F.) I don't respond & go back to looking, & subsequently pull out my phone and start to call Sephora to see if my clutch is there.
G.) YWG jogs off

I'm not thinking about him anymore until an officer, a security guard, & the YWG roll up on me. By this time I was in the back seat looking to see if it's there under my other training materials crate, & on hold with Sephora, & I glance out toward the street & the officer asks me to step out & away from my vehicle & asks me where I keep my registration & insurance & if they are not on hand, then I need proof that the vehicle is a rental or that I possess proof of purchase.

I hang up on Sephora & everything starts running in slow motion.

This is not happening!!

I'm hungry!!

I'm just here for food!!

Why would you call the cops on me!!?

So I go to switch my camera on to make sure my friends and family know what happened to me if I get shot & killed in the parking lot of Whole Foods...& the YWG snatches my phone!! SIR!!

So I go to snatch it back and the officer takes it and gets between us cause I'm livid & he's still asking me for my documents. And I look the officer in his eyes and ask why I'm being asked these questions, it is my car.

Because ma'am it was reported that someone was displaying suspicious behavior & potentially breaking into a Black LandRover in the parking lot.

I'm glaring at the YWG & after the officer finishes speaking I yell out "you called the cops on me for RUMMAGING THROUGH MY OWN TRUNK OF MY OWN TRUCK THAT I SIGNED FOR BY MYSELF, THAT I PAY FOR BY MYSELF, THAT I MAINTAIN AND PUT GAS IN AND CLEAN BY MY ENTIRE #^%÷&€$£₩@^@:%!# SELF!!!??? ITS MYYYY CAR!!!!!!!"

The officer has this look of confusion wash across his face as I am, by this time, frantically wiping away all of my angry tears that are streaming down my face & talking myself down from punching the YWG in his face, & the officer looks at the security guard with a furrowed brow and says "you didn't see her breaking into this vehicle?? She was just looking for something innn...herrr carrr??" And the security guard is standing there looking as stupid as possible - "uhhh no sir.. I just got the complaint & called"

Me: .....
Officer: ......
Security guard: .....
YWG: ........

The officer shakes his head, & goes silent
He goes around to my passenger side of my truck, opens the glove box & pulls out my registration. He asks me for insurance - I pull it up on my phone. He checks my lisence and gives me everything back.

He asks me if I'd like to file a harassment charge against the YWG. He explained how it works. I take him up on his offer.

The YWG is loud & cursing at this point & yells "I didn't harass her! This b**** can't file charges on me! I only did what any good American would do!!"

Then he looks at the YWG & says very calmly "Sir, you need to calm down or you can come with me & we can work it out"

The YWG is about to pop, but he quiets down.

The officer walks me through the process of filing charges, walks me through how it will play out & what to expect, finishes up his paperwork, then turns & tells the YWG, "You look like an important guy, who maybe has a lot of important business to attend to. I'd advise you to do more of that, & let other people mind their's. Thank you & you're welcome to leave"

The YWG storms off with no apology no nothing..and the security guard is still standing there...and the officer turns back to me and offers the most sincere apology I've ever received, for their behavior.

They both walk off...I'm leaning against my truck sobbing because I really can't function.

As I'm drying my eyes, and putting my documents up and walking around to the driver side of my car, a young woman wearing a beautiful hijab walks up to me and says "I saw that man, I'm so sorry that happened to you" & she grabs me and hugs me deep and she smells like patchouli, & lemon & lavender, & cinnamon & heaven & love & comfort.

I'm typing this from my driver's seat.

Y'all...

It's still 2018...still pleasantly breezy & 71°...but I'm not even hungry anymore.

On most days I feel like superwoman!! I embody & embrace the song & belt out Chaka Khan's "I'm every woman" w/pride & delight.

But honestly, right this very moment, every single woman in me is completely & utterly tired...& angry...& heartbroken.

Let me go home & write a song about this...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

From a friend of a friend (when it hits close to home) [View all] , Selah, Tue Oct-23-18 10:41 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Damn, that's so fucked up.
Oct 23rd 2018
wow
Oct 23rd 2018
this:
Oct 23rd 2018
Ugh
Oct 23rd 2018
Don't let them break you
Oct 23rd 2018
sounds like a typical tuesday ***shrugs***
Oct 23rd 2018
man
Oct 23rd 2018
I'm sorry...deeply sorry that you had to experience that.
Oct 23rd 2018
Damn! This shit is saddening. I'm sorry this happened and that some...
Oct 23rd 2018
IT WASNT ME FAM......
Oct 23rd 2018
lol. I paused a few times like...
Oct 24th 2018
Terrible how they treated you*, glad you said and did everything that yo...
Oct 23rd 2018
Your friend is a Black woman, correct?
Oct 23rd 2018
yes
Oct 23rd 2018
Being able to get thru this means you're still a Superwoman n/m
Oct 23rd 2018
Man... these white folks are a trip
Oct 23rd 2018
*good American
Oct 23rd 2018
i'm curious how the YWG will spin this
Oct 23rd 2018
*trying to figure out a way to crawl through computer screen, hug you, g...
Oct 23rd 2018
yikes, glad the cop handled it the right way
Oct 23rd 2018
RE: The OC b/w Charlottesville
Oct 23rd 2018
Cali is wild. Folks think liberal fun in the sun
Oct 23rd 2018
the shit is subversive
Oct 23rd 2018
      People shitted on Denny
Oct 23rd 2018
maaaaaan, I've said it here before. growing up in Long Beach...
Oct 23rd 2018
The part about these interactions that they will NEVER get is...
Oct 23rd 2018
I suspect that they *do* get it, and use it as a tactic
Oct 25th 2018
      Yeah, this weird defense or plea cop for these yts is just... ionno
Oct 25th 2018
yeah, def press charges
Oct 23rd 2018
Were you able to capture the white guy on your phone before he took it?
Oct 23rd 2018
Right? I’m at a loss for dude snatching her phone in front of the cop
Oct 23rd 2018
      assault
Oct 24th 2018
He only did this because she was a woman
Oct 25th 2018
Should've mased his ass.
Oct 25th 2018
      I think I would’ve been the first to call the cops
Oct 25th 2018
           This is excellent, and you'd have the legal advantage