Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #13856

Subject: "MAU MAU" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
utamaroho

Sun Jun-03-01 06:48 AM

"MAU MAU"

After watching Bamboozled for the millionth time (finally bought another DVD besides Malcolm X) I got into a conversation with some of my brothers about the role of Mao Mao type elements within Afrikan culture. Taking this conversation to work where i'm surrounded by 98% continental afrikan people, Caribbean and latin american coworkers yielded pretty interesting findings...

Although the Mau Mau were unfocused, the idea of "policing self" is a concept found in many afrikan traditions around the globe. Many may be familiar with the David C. Johnson film "Drop Squad" about an underground militant group that kidnaps African-Americans who have sold out their race. (One advertisement features Spike Lee endorsing Gospelpak Fried Chicken which comes in a bucket with the Confederate flag draped all over it!) This brings up the point of the purpose and necessity of the Mau Mau in the movie. Aside from them drinking and being a parody of disillusioned militants with no direct whatsoever, their role was one that has been a part of afrikan tradition for years. The role of handling internal problems internally. (SEE: KEEPING IT IN HOUSE in the archive section.) All too often people forget that while they ridicule the police state and enforcers, they would call them up with a quickness to intervene in problems of their own almost instinctively. WHY? Because the idea of self-governing, self-defense, & self-rule are dead.

Even Spike, during the commentary on the DVD, said that they were stupid, and rightly so, but their role in the film is one that's existed for centuries by any people who control their politics and future. Some might scream "who are you to judge?" at the actions of the Mau Mau, but then again that's exactly the power they give this federal government to do to you, me, and everybody else...and look at this place!

"When you have no ability to create and secure your own reality, you have no power. And to see anything but the status quo exhibit any type of action, especially REVOLUTIONARY action, is aconsidered a threat and thus admonished."

(((((PEACE)))))

Printer-friendly copy

MAU MAU [View all] , utamaroho, Sun Jun-03-01 06:48 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: MAU MAU
Jun 03rd 2001
Click here:
Jun 04th 2001
From my Kikuyu friend:
Jun 06th 2001
The REAL Mau Mau
Jun 04th 2001