Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #23127

Subject: "Hmmmmm" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Shimmy
Charter member
45923 posts
Tue Aug-01-00 07:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Hmmmmm"
In response to In response to 0

This is of course an excellent question, but if there is an answer, I haven't found it!
I remember when my daughter was first born, my main objective was to teach her respect.
Respect for others, but more importantly, respect for herself.
But as you struggle with the "day to day", its easy to lose sight of this goal.
For one, you can attempt to instill values into your children, but the minute they walk out the door, or turn on the tv, the are heavily influenced by the community.
As a parent, you are not perfect.There is no instruction manual for kids--on the good days you hope for the best--and on the bads days you just plain eff up!! I know I have looked back on the ways I have handled a certain situations and CRINGED!!
"Bad Mommy"
What makes it especially difficult is attempting to do right in a society that values material goods versus spiritual riches. A society that favours the quick fix when consistency and discipline are the tools you need.Also a society that sees more parents doing it on their own(big respect to single parents--don't know HOW you manage--I'm a half time single parent--and its hard.)It really is MORE than a two person job most of the time.

Darn--I'd like to go on, but I got a client(working mom reality check)

Shimmy

If you're happy with nothin', you'll be so very happy with me -----Ben Harper

“Your body is not a temple, it’s an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain

Printer-friendly copy

raising children: love & respect [View all] , AfricanHerbsman, Tue Aug-01-00 02:18 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
respect first!
Aug 01st 2000
much needed words.
Aug 01st 2000
      sorta off topic
Aug 01st 2000
      oh yeah
Aug 01st 2000
      RE: sorta off topic
Aug 01st 2000
      i will spank!