Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports Okay Sports Archives topic #64223

Subject: "Philadelphia Inquirer: Giants/Eagles NFL's Top Rivalry (Swipe)" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
TurkeylegJenkins
Charter member
18021 posts
Thu Nov-06-08 01:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Philadelphia Inquirer: Giants/Eagles NFL's Top Rivalry (Swipe)"

Link: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20081106_That_Eagles-Giants_rivalry.html

That Eagles-Giants rivalry

By Bob Brookover

Inquirer Staff Writer

There is no rivalry in the NFL or any other North American professional sport that matches the intensity of the New York Yankees vs. the Boston Red Sox.

"I remember the first time I wore my Yankees hat to the mall and people were yelling stuff at me," said Eagles fullback Dan Klecko, a devoted Yankees fan and a three-year member of the New England Patriots. "It was crazy up there. It's really something you can't understand unless you're up there."

The closest thing in the NFL these days is the Eagles vs. the New York Giants, the two teams that will meet again Sunday night at Lincoln Financial Field.

Forget about the Redskins-Cowboys. Those teams have combined for one playoff win in the 21st century. Forget Denver-Oakland. Raiders owner Al Davis doesn't know what planet he's on - Earth to Al, come in Al -- let alone what division he's in anymore. Pittsburgh-Cleveland? That rivalry is more one-sided than the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Green Bay-Chicago? Only if you enjoy icicles in your underwear, and who doesn't?

The Eagles and Giants have everything you could possibly want in a rivalry.

Proximity? The two stadiums are separated by less than 100 miles.

Two successful teams? Since 2000, the teams have combined to win seven of the eight NFC East titles while making 11 postseason and three Super Bowl appearances. The Giants, of course, won it all last season.

A real disdain? Philadelphia fans hate New York fans. New Yorkers believe there's more than a geographical reason that Philadelphia sits beneath the Big Apple on the map.

Great players? The Giants' recently retired Michael Strahan and Tiki Barber probably will end up in the Hall of Fame. Eagles safety Brian Dawkins, quarterback Donovan McNabb, and running back Brian Westbrook could be building Hall of Fame resumes.

Great games? They've played three overtime games and eight games that have been decided by six points or fewer since 2000.

All the ingredients blend perfectly for this rivalry, and the stakes will be enormous again Sunday with the 5-3 Eagles trying to prove that they are worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as the 7-1 Giants.

"We've got to show them who the big dog is," Eagles defensive end Trent Cole said after practice yesterday. "This is the best show on Earth in 2008. You thought the Dallas game was big? This is bigger. This is really big."

Cole, who has six career sacks and an interception return for a touchdown in seven career games against the Giants, was clearly excited about Sunday's showdown. He understands that the defending Super Bowl champions and current NFC East leaders are a measuring stick for an Eagles team that battled a consistency problem through the first eight games.

"We're going to learn a lot from this game," Cole said. "Every game is a rivalry to me. I'm not saying this is the only big game, but this game I'm counting on winning. We're going to win. I refuse to lose. We refuse to lose. Losing is not in our vocabulary, and it won't be in our vocabulary. I don't even know why I'm saying the word losing."

As Cole spoke, veteran teammate Darren Howard eyed him, wanting no part of the verbal volleys the Eagles' Pro Bowl defensive end was tossing in the air.

"I'm very excited about this game," Cole said. "This is putting us in a position on the road to where we want to go. This is the road to the top - win the division and the Super Bowl and getting to wear that big ring we've always wanted."

Like any good rivalry, this one also has some juicy subplots: McNabb vs. Giants quarterback Eli Manning; the coaches, Tom Coughlin vs. Andy Reid; the coordinators, with Steve Spagnuolo having taken Jim Johnson's defense up the New Jersey Turnpike and used it to win a Super Bowl; and the one that interests Cole the most - defensive-line supremacy.

"That's a little thing we take personally," Cole said. "We take pride in our D line and they can take pride in their D line as well. They have a great D line, too. We want to be the ones that are noticed in this game."

Since Reid has been with the Eagles, Coughlin is the only NFC East coach who has gone against him at least four times and compiled a winning record. Reid is 4-5 against the Giants since Coughlin became their coach in 2004.

"For me, this has been my biggest rivalry since I've been with the Eagles," Dawkins said. "I know everybody can't stand Dallas and I understand that, but for me, this is the game I get up for every time."

Eagles linebacker Tank Daniels has a unique perspective on the rivalry because he spent his rookie season of 2006 in Philadelphia, moved to the Giants last season, and is back here now.

"It's just as big for them as it is for us," Daniels said. "New York hates Philly. Philly hates New York. If you're a fan of football, you know it's a big rivalry. People down South know that the Eagles and New York is a huge game."

What was it like in the Giants' locker room?

"They'd be like, 'Man, we've got the Eagles this week, let's go. You can't be messing around this week. It's time to pick it up.' It's a different animal when it's Eagles-Giants. It's a playoff game."

And that's what makes this the best rivalry in the NFL.

Contact staff writer Bob Brookover at 215-854-2577 or bbrookover@phillynews.com.

"Get that shit out of here! Fondue with eight minutes left in the Super Bowl!?!" -- John Mara

Read my blog (Updated 10/16/08): http://bluenatic.com

Printer-friendly copy

Philadelphia Inquirer: Giants/Eagles NFL's Top Rivalry (Swipe) [View all] , TurkeylegJenkins, Thu Nov-06-08 01:17 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Sunday can't get here fast enough.
Nov 06th 2008
No question, after that I think Bears/Pack and Chiefs/Raiders
Nov 06th 2008
what does this have to do with anything?
Nov 06th 2008
I know right? What kinda excuse is that to discount a rivalry?
Nov 08th 2008
I'm dumber for having read that.
Nov 06th 2008
I'd lobby for Baltimore/Pittsburgh
Nov 06th 2008
uhhh yeah ... in philly
Nov 06th 2008
thank you.
Nov 06th 2008
so basically, Philly is just gonna think it's #1 in everything now?
Nov 06th 2008
Clearly, the article isn't that well thought out.....
Nov 06th 2008
for redskins it's
Nov 06th 2008
i'm shocked this is coming from a philly paper
Nov 06th 2008
eh, that ain't really completely true, Gints were the hump we were
Nov 06th 2008
please. Skins/Cowboys is a rivalry
Nov 06th 2008
and yet those two teams collectively have won 1 playoff game in 12 years
Nov 06th 2008
      My thoughts exactly
Nov 06th 2008
      with both teams being playoff-caliber good? I think 1983, seriously
Nov 06th 2008
      Bomb were you sayin somethin? with all your Lombardis right?
Nov 06th 2008
           Steelers were @ the Linc this year & didn't takeover.
Nov 06th 2008
           RE: Steelers were @ the Linc this year & didn't takeover.
Nov 06th 2008
                let's bet
Nov 06th 2008
                you name it. 100 bones? more, less?
Nov 06th 2008
                     100 bones
Nov 06th 2008
                          done
Nov 06th 2008
                your stadium holds like 25K people
Nov 06th 2008
                ^^^PLEAS COPPED
Nov 06th 2008
                     was RFK Stadium ever "taken over"???
Nov 06th 2008
                          proximity's a wash & yeah I've been in RFK as an Eagle fan & while
Nov 06th 2008
                               we can go back and forth on this
Nov 06th 2008
                                    if copping pleas & 'suck off Wilbon' is the best u can do,then aint much
Nov 06th 2008
                                         if dismissing my reasons as "copping pleas" is the best you can do
Nov 06th 2008
                                              is that a rhetorical question?
Nov 06th 2008
                                                   PayPal only friend
Nov 06th 2008
                                                        I actually would prefer mine in a cash card with an apology note
Nov 06th 2008
                $50
Nov 07th 2008
                done
Nov 07th 2008
                I am down for $100
Nov 07th 2008
                     Done
Nov 07th 2008
           I was saying Dal/Was have combined for one playoff win the past 12 years
Nov 06th 2008
What's sad is this was intended to be a Giants/Eagles shit-talking post
Nov 06th 2008
I gotta say I'm surprised with the line in our favor
Nov 06th 2008
      The Giants are due for another stumble
Nov 06th 2008
           ^^^^ wow, what a RIVALRY
Nov 06th 2008
           yea, that sh*t is way too civil
Nov 07th 2008
                Well the Giants are actually good
Nov 07th 2008
           RE: The Giants are due for another stumble
Nov 06th 2008
that can't be right.
Nov 06th 2008
^^^ an Eagles fan who lives in the real world ^^^
Nov 07th 2008
giants r catching a capital L
Nov 07th 2008
LOL @ this whole post
Nov 07th 2008
Eli Manning is a fluke and Plaxico will get XD by Samuels.
Nov 07th 2008
this is just dumb.
Nov 08th 2008

Lobby Okay Sports Okay Sports Archives topic #64223 Previous topic | Next topic