Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Freestyle Board Freestyle Board Archives topic #3413

Subject: "The Eintou: (Look What KnowOne Taught Me!!)" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
delrica
Charter member
6889 posts
Mon Oct-13-03 08:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Eintou: (Look What KnowOne Taught Me!!)"
Fri Oct-17-03 05:46 AM

The Eintou

The Eintou is an African American septet syllabic/word count form consisting of 2 words/syllables the first line, 4 the second, 6 the third, 8 the fourth, 6 the fifth, 4 the sixth, and 2 the seventh. The Eintou developed as a means of placing African American poetic forms in the forefront of American poetry. Many African American poetic scholars and critics often attempt to mimic Euro-american forms as a means of demonstrating poetic expertise, or defensively, staunchly stand by "free-verse" as an African American form. Very rarely have I found serious examination of African American poetic forms; in fact most critics erroneously regard African American poetry as "formless" or "mimicking."
The Eintou encompasses much African American culture and philosophy, and it offers the African American poet who wishes to write in structured meter an avenue within which to do so without having to employ European structures.
The term Eintou is West African for "pearl" as in pearls of wisdom, and often the Eintou imparts these pearls in heightened language.

The 2-4-6-8-6-4-2 structure of the Eintou is crucial in terms of African and African American philosophy. That is, in our culture, life is a cycle. Everything returns to that from which it originates. The concept of a pearl, which is a sphere, and the cyclic nature of the Eintou's structure captures this I think very poignantly. The life of the Eintou begins with two syllables or words, expands as though growing and then returns to two syllables or words. In this the Eintou, as we, never escapes its beginnings or history. We flow from, through, and ultimately return to that from which we come.

An example:
Death so
often speaks to
us Blacks nowadays that
no one cares to listen, to hear
if he has anything
important to
impart

i'm gonna try this later

----------------------
Cop my stuff, mayne!

My first chapbook: "This Chapbook Was Made With Pilfered Office Products" available now - $6.00

My 2nd chapbook, coming in 2007: "Orgasms and Ice Cream"

fmi: http://www.myspace.com/delrica

Printer-friendly copy

The Eintou: (Look What KnowOne Taught Me!!) [View all] , delrica, Mon Oct-13-03 08:47 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
my Eintou.....
Oct 13th 2003
My first eintou
Oct 13th 2003
RE: My first eintou
Oct 13th 2003
RE: My first eintou
Oct 13th 2003
My second eintou
Oct 13th 2003
      3rd!!
Oct 13th 2003
see what I'm saying
Oct 13th 2003
RE: see what I'm saying
Oct 13th 2003
Neat~O --
Oct 13th 2003
RE: Look What KnowOne Taught Me!!
Oct 13th 2003
Oct 13th 2003
Oct 13th 2003
Oct 13th 2003
Oct 13th 2003
Ooooooooooo... i'll try this later
Oct 13th 2003
Oct 14th 2003
Oct 14th 2003
Oh Nothing --
Oct 14th 2003

Lobby Freestyle Board Freestyle Board Archives topic #3413 Previous topic | Next topic