Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #303138

Subject: "it's weird; I barely played Taken King" Previous topic | Next topic
Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15308 posts
Sat Dec-30-17 01:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "it's weird; I barely played Taken King"
In response to In response to 11
Sat Dec-30-17 01:21 PM by Nodima

but until that DLC dropped, I played Destiny pretty much daily, just running strikes over and over. when it was vanilla (and, in retrospect, vanilla Destiny was insanely vanilla) I played it that hard, and over those two years as things got better (and worse) I kept on playing, never ran a raid, did a nightfall or threw a punch in Crucible and really enjoyed it as a podcast game. but then when the game "got good" for most people, I completely fell off of it. The game became a little more complicated, a little more involved, and there were so many options for things to do. it used to just be a game I completed my bounties for the week the first two or three days of the week, then ran a couple strikes a day after.

Destiny 2 at first felt like it solved a lot of problems, but like somebody said above they wound up solving problems that didn't need to be solved, and over correcting things that were obvious problems before in a way that just created bizarrely more obvious problems. the solution to low drops on end game content shouldn't have been giving you everything all the time, and the solution to never getting the exact roll you wanted for a gun or armor piece shouldn't have been to level everything out to the point almost nothing is truly exciting or valuable. it used to be heading to Reddit to read the Xur Megathread and breakdown of exotics was mandatory weekend reading because you could only afford one piece but maybe the roll for the one piece you'd usually want wasn't optimal; now Xur feels entirely superfluous to the hamster wheel of that game.

I paid for the expansion pass but I've only played a single mission with a single character from Osiris so far. I enjoyed what I played of Destiny 2 and leveled three characters to ~300, but I have no interest in playing that game at the moment and can't really figure out what they need to do to pull me back. maybe I just burned myself out too hard on the first Destiny; maybe they just need more than one fun strike and any incentive to play the strikes they already have.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Games you were disappointed with this year [View all] , Boogiedwn, Fri Dec-22-17 01:17 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
2 off the top
Dec 22nd 2017
RE: Micro-transactions
Dec 22nd 2017
Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite
Dec 22nd 2017
it's an insult to everybody.
Dec 22nd 2017
Im hoping for an Arcade Edition for Infinity War
Dec 23rd 2017
I haven't even seen it in stores to cop it to be disappointed.
Dec 24th 2017
#1 on this list for me
Dec 30th 2017
AC: Pocket Camp
Dec 22nd 2017
Can I say Destiny 2 even tho I put 152 hours into it?
Dec 24th 2017
Yeah
Dec 26th 2017

Voting for Mass Effect
Dec 24th 2017
Still in the shrink wrap for me :(
Dec 24th 2017
see, that's why I'm waiting.
Dec 27th 2017
I didn't hate it, but its not on par with the others
Dec 28th 2017
people who skip this one do so to their own detriment