Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #136486

Subject: "Ls just keep rolling in: Apple Prohibits Movie Rentals on Recent iPods" Previous topic | Next topic
kanino
Member since May 02nd 2006
3659 posts
Wed Jan-30-08 12:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ls just keep rolling in: Apple Prohibits Movie Rentals on Recent iPods"
Wed Jan-30-08 12:18 PM by kanino

(swipe)

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscellaneous/news/2008/01/ipod_rentals

by Bryan Gardiner

A number of iPod owners have discovered that their recently purchased iPods won't work with Apple's new iTunes video rentals, even though the iPods have video playback capabilities.

As of Tuesday, the issue had been raised multiple times in Apple's support forums. So far the company's only response has been to confirm that movie rentals work only with the iPhone, iPod touch, iPod classic and the third-generation iPod nano. Earlier iPods, including fifth-generation iPods sold before the September 2007 release of the sixth-generation iPod classic, are incompatible with rented videos.

"This is false advertising," says Raymond Blanchard, a disgruntled iPod owner. "I demand an upgrade or fix."

Others were more upset over the apparent randomness of Apple's decision.

"Why on earth would they not make this service available to fifth-generation iPods?" one forum poster notes. "Mine is less than six months old! If all of the other services are available for the fifth-generation video iPods, why not rentals? I have a tough time believing it would not be technically feasible."

Indeed, Apple has recently boosted functionality in certain products with firmware updates -- while offering no upgrades (or charging for upgrades) for other products. At the recent Macworld exposition, Steve Jobs elicited cheers from Apple fans by announcing a completely reworked AppleTV and saying that the upgrade would be free to previous AppleTV owners. Similarly, iPhone users received a free firmware upgrade that allows them to use new features like webclips, multiperson text messaging and enhanced Google map functions. Owners of the iPod touch, on the other hand, have to pay $20 for those same features, a fact that likely has to do with Apple's accounting and revenue realization practices.

Apple did not immediately respond to Wired's request for comment, and the company has yet to provide any definitive reason why its fifth-generation iPods won't work with iTunes movie rentals. But that's not stopping the speculation.

Some analysts, like Forrester's James McQuivey, say the issue could be related to digital rights management or a planned obsolescence strategy -- encouraging people to buy the most current generation iPods.

For now, the most likely suspect has to do with what some have deemed the "analog hole" present in 5-G iPods. Previous generation iPods have an analog video output that works with standard video cables. As some have observed, this theoretically makes it easier to copy rented movies, by plugging the iPod into a camcorder or other video-recording device.

In the most recent iPod classic and iPods nano models, the TV-out port no longer works with older, third-party video cables and docks -- most likely in order to close the analog hole, according to The Unofficial Apple Weblog's Christina Warren.

"I guess it would just be too much of a risk for Apple (and the movie studios) to allow 5-G customers (to) connect their iPods to a TV via an open TV-out cable so that the (standard-definition) content could then be captured using the analog hole," Warren concludes in a recent post.

Yankee Group's Carl Howe offers another likely reason for 5-G iPod-rental incompatibility.

"The other factor is whether you have a secure real-time clock," Howe explains. "Why do I want a secure clock? Because you don't want people messing with the time code since (iTunes) rentals are only supposed to last 24 hours after you start viewing them."

This was almost certainly a requirement imposed by the movie studios, he concludes. Indeed, some users recently discovered that by setting back the clocks on their PCs, they could temporarily extend the duration of their iTunes movie rentals, and movie studios probably wanted to limit their exposure to that hack.

In short, Howe says, iPods don't fall under the growing trend of "hardware as a service," whereby hardware receives continuous upgrades via firmware updates.

"(The iPod is) 'hardware as hardware' instead of 'hardware as service,'" Howe says. "Not that that's going to be very consoling for iPod owners."

----------------

slightly related note:

Apple already failed in making a game console?
http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/multimedia/2008/01/gallery_apple_flops?slide=2&slideView=2

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

http://twitter.com/sun_dalo
xbl: s/n

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Ls just keep rolling in: Apple Prohibits Movie Rentals on Recent iPods [View all] , kanino, Wed Jan-30-08 12:09 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
waaahh....360 games dont work on old Xbox.. waahhh....
Jan 30th 2008
so you're saying that the old iPods can't handle
Jan 30th 2008
not even CLOSE to the same thing
Jan 31st 2008
      it is extactly the same...
Jan 31st 2008
           but that's way off the point.
Feb 01st 2008
           it's glaringly obvious from your posts on here.......
Feb 06th 2008
this came out already lol
Jan 30th 2008
No it didn't. This hate is freshly baked.... and true!
Jan 30th 2008
      I know it's true
Jan 30th 2008
RE: Ls just keep rolling in: Apple Prohibits Movie Rentals on Recent iPo...
Jan 30th 2008
I dunno about that. The stock is looking hurt since MacWorld n/m
Jan 30th 2008
      Record earnings last quarter
Jan 30th 2008
      Oh so the $$$ was rolling in last quarter?
Jan 30th 2008
           In the long-term, Hach predicts Apple stock will reach $300
Jan 31st 2008
                lol I would have bought in too if I was Gore
Jan 31st 2008
      Jobs ...
Jan 31st 2008
David Lynch sums up why this is a nonstory
Jan 31st 2008
and the difference for most people will be ? n/m
Jan 31st 2008
huh? thats basically turning away customers