Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectWhy would you *not* trade Wiseman?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2777533&mesg_id=2779048
2779048, Why would you *not* trade Wiseman?
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Dec-22-22 03:13 PM
After next season, Wiseman becomes a restricted free agent-- at least with Kuminga you have him for another season and for less annual money.

Wiseman is very young and inexperienced, yes, but, like, what's his ceiling in the modern NBA? A Clint Capela type? And he probably won't consistently be that for another 150-200 games, at minimum, if it ever happens.

Furthermore, opponents are 15 points per 100 possessions better on offense when Wiseman is on the court. So even if the blocks *look* cool, he is a bad, bad, bad NBA defender right now. Save for Pat Baldwin Jr., he's easily the worst defender on a team that includes Jordan Poole.

Furthermore, on offense, he's a true big man who doesn't really pass well, so he's, like, the opposite of what the Warriors want on the floor on offense. (I know they believe he can shoot threes, but at 32% from 3 and 64% from FT, I think that's a pretty long way off.) So he's not showing any of the things you need him to show if you think he can fit your scheme in a net positive way in the next 1-2 years.

FURTHERMORE, if you pay Wiseman next year, you can't afford to pay Draymond Green. And Draymond Green is, unsurprisingly, the best defender on the Warriors, and he's low-key the best passer-- the Warriors' assist rate plummets when Green is not on the floor.

So people can meme the "Draymond doesn't score" all they want, but if you're letting Draymond walk next year and replacing him with Wiseman or Kuminga? They are going to be coooooooooked on defense (even more than this year), and the offense will be far more iso heavy and less about hitting players in motion.

Wiseman's possible upside at age 26 is basically worthless to the Warriors at present, unless they're punting on the core that got them titles. And I think Wiseman's upside in the modern NBA just isn't especially valuable at the end of the day-- and definitely not more valuable than playing Draymond Green in the system that he knows so well until the wheels completely fall off.

I'd keep Kuminga, because of the contract, but also because there's potential versatility there. He can defend multiple positions better than Wiseman, he can certainly slash better. He's currently a black hole on offense, but you can see a world in which he figures it out and unlocks his potential-- and keeping him, at least through 2025, doesn't have to cost the Warriors Draymond Green like Wiseman would.*

*- this is my understanding of the current money situation, if someone wants to correct me they can feel free