Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjecthow long is that Final Four drought?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2726223&mesg_id=2733037
2733037, how long is that Final Four drought?
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Mar-03-21 02:08 AM
six years? including one cancelled tourney? and two Elite Eights in that span? lol. I mean, it's not ideal, but it's hard for me to be too mad considering how 2015 ended. Titles have a way of washing away the failures.

He clearly committed in 2012ish to "we're gonna do this OAD thing." And it got us a title and a few Elite Eights. More early exits and more subpar ACC finishes than I'd have liked... but K's clearly punted some of that in favor of ring chasing and getting talented young kids ready for March by letting them twist in the wind in January. Is that good? Is that bad? I don't fucking know. It's annoying at times... but I tell you this, if they win a title in 2022 before K retires, then it'll all have been worth it. And if they don't win a title?... well, they won one this way, so... maybe? Ask me again in a year or two how I feel about all this, lol.

And don't get me wrong, I will be the *first in line* to talk about how shitty a job K did this year. And while half of me wants to write it off as "well, lowest experience ranking of all the high majors, no real off season, no real pre-conference play against cupcakes, etc."... there's definitely the half of me that just thinks K is washed at this point. The problems he's had in several of our previous seasons (less effective defense than Duke had 86-04, tendency to not feed talented big men) have definitely REALLY bitten us in the ass this year. If Duke didn't have Matt Hurt, we'd be an eight win team, max. He's having a Corey Kispert level season, and no one will care, because the rest of Duke, including K, has sucked so hard.

That said, Roach and Steward will both be back next year, and our freshman to sophomore leaps for five stars tend to be crazy (Hurt, Tre, Kennard, Grayson, to name a few). And we'll be returning more five star talent than ever next season. So I don't want to write K off entirely, cuz next year's shaping up to be a monster balance of incoming and returning talent the likes of which we haven't seen in the OAD era. (Especially if we get Baldwin. Which... I don't think we will. But sometimes K drops a bag and lands a stud out of the blue. So who knows?)

But... yes. The coaching this year has been flat out bad. And losing to Georgia Tech in a game that Georgia Tech was clearly *desperately* trying to lose both at the end of regulation and overtime is testament to... well, either Duke's bad coaching, or Duke's terrible freshman backcourt play, or both. Hard to tell. Time will reveal the answer, I reckon.