Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: More thoughts, 9-40:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2699582&mesg_id=2700045
2700045, RE: More thoughts, 9-40:
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Jun-21-19 02:53 PM
>- Hunter and Reddish is a slam dunk top ten for the Hawks.

Reddish nice value at 10, Hunter maybe not ideal value at 4 but wouldn't have been there at 8. Their pieces fit together well. We'll see what these guys do, Reddish could be a steal or a bust, Hunter could be the kind of guy you get in the middle of the first round but maybe he enriches their group enough to justify the high cost?

>- I reeeeeeally like Cam Johnson, more than most, because he's
>maybe the best spot-up shooter in the draft, but 11 is def a
>reach and the Suns could've gotten him at least 5-7 spots
>later.

Yeah especially with the trade down I thought they went from getting a potential impact guy to getting two good role guys. That's a good trade for some team, but not for their team. But I do like Johnson and figured he'd go in the mid-teens despite being projected later through most of the mock process. I would have liked to see him land with a more competitive team like Indiana or Boston.

>- Romeo Langford is a pick that initially made me recoil,
>because the last thing the Celtics need is another wing who
>can't make 3s, but I confess there's upside there-- just
>definitely not short-term upside.

They went BPA there and then proceeded to take guys who are high-character but not ideal physique, the kind of guys who typically excel in college and then languish in the pros. I wasn't a big fan of their draft but I trust Ainge so maybe guys like Williams and Edwards will see their games translate.

>- Hayes was a weird pick for the Pels, a team that really
>needs shooting. Alexander-Walker, however, is very good value
>there.

I liked what they did and I like Hayes. He will be a DeAndre Jordan type guy once he fills out and gets his footing as a big.

>- Thybulle is good, but trading up for Thybulle, especially
>when you have Zhaire Smith already, is... strange.

It's not strange, it's stupid. They could have added a lot of potential to their roster but instead went with an athletic, D-only wing and some bruisers. Zero scoring on their bench. Give me Little, Edwards and Bol with the three picks they had at 24/33/42.

>- Brandon Clarke and Grant Williams: great fucking value. I
>had Clarke in my Top 10 and Williams near my Top 15.

Clarke I like. Williams I get the appeal but have some concerns. Clarke I thought was a steal, definitely.

>- Ty Jerome is a sneaky good pick for the Suns as a backup who
>can make 3s, play D, and actually facilitate.

Meh, I am not that high on him but the slot was about right.

>- people were confused why Little kept falling, but... he
>can't shoot, he can't play defense. What's hard to understand
>about that?

All the way to 25? That was a big fall. I thought maybe just outside the lotto.

>- Jordan Poole is a guy I liked at Michigan, and he's an
>absolute headscratcher at 28, largely because he would've 100%
>been available in the 40s-- many places expected him to go
>undrafted. STILL, they got Eric Paschall at 41, whom I
>would've taken at 28! So all is right with the world.

My thoughts exactly. A reach and a steal balance each other out. Both guys fit very well with what they look for in a reserve. Nice draft for the Dubs overall.

>- Kevin Porter has HUGE red flags (see my Justivity post), but
>John Beilein is as good a coach as you can give him.
>Seriously. He'll either shape up or he just won't fucking
>play. Interested to see how he comes along.

There's only one James Harden, unfortunately. Great iso player, other areas of his game are sorely lacking.

>- Claxton at 31: stone cold steal. Fringe Top 20 talent.

Yeah that was a nice pick, I figured he'd definitely go in the 20s. Good fit for Brooklyn, too, gives them another hard worker on the inside.

>- Carsen Edwards is like a Coke Zero Kyrie, so he's actually a
>really good fit the Celtics. Can help right away off the bench
>bare minimum-- and he's better than Rozier.

They are going to shuffle around their mid-level guys, I think. Probably lose Horford and Kyrie, then make trades with the Roziers of the world.

>- Cody Martin should've gone undrafted.
That had to be the most WTF pick of the night for me. I expected him to go in the 50s maybe. It's the Hornets, so expect the unexpected, I guess.

>- Bol Bol is sorry.
I disagree. He is not sorry. There were a number of factors that all seemed to work against him with his drop. But there's a lot of talent there and the idea that a kid should be completely ready at 19 or worse yet 17 is crazy. How teams let him slip out of the first round is beyond me. That kind of size, mobility and potential in terms of both rim protection and scoring inside 25 feet is attractive. In years past he'd have been a top 10 guy. You can say teams have learned from past mistakes, OK, but to fall all the way to the mid 40s? That's wild.