Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectHall of the very good or deserving?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2694697
2694697, Hall of the very good or deserving?
Posted by SynsCei, Sun Apr-28-19 05:49 PM
For me, it's my man Bernie Williams. 51 is my fav number to this day. I purposely asked my coach to switch me to center fielder.

He was clutch, exceptional CF, switch hitting .300+ batting...Damn sound like a Ric Flair promo. Guitar playing son of a gun...

I digress, who is not gonna get into the HOF but prolly should be?
2694698, David Cone, Orel Hershiser, Kenny Lofton
Posted by DJR, Sun Apr-28-19 06:31 PM
And he’s in a different category -the shoulda been a HOFer - but I wish Daryl Strawberry was in.
2694702, I'd vote for Lofton even though he won't make it
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sun Apr-28-19 07:00 PM
I feel like he and Omar Vizquel played in the wrong era. Had they come along earlier they would have been like Ashburn and Aparicio, but instead they were in an era where their positions were expected to hit more (particularly Vizquel). Vizquel did get in but there wouldn't have been any doubt previously or any need to "make a case." Lofton is close, I think he gets a little screwed by Griffey's defense being a little overrated or, if you look at it more broadly, the favoritism toward offensive stars for Gold Gloves. But Lofton was a better fielder, he set the table well and he could really run. He's not on Griffey's level of HOF candidacy, I get that, but someone who was so much his peer at the position and accomplished a lot (and won a lot) seems to be a pretty solid candidate.
2694706, Kenny went off this year blaming all the steroid users...
Posted by DJR, Sun Apr-28-19 07:32 PM
for him not getting in. I’m wasn’t mad at that rant either.

My first childhood memory was Hershiser carrying my Dodgers to the title, so I’m biased there. Low key, he pitched 98% as well the next season and got ripped off by some of the worst run support of all time. 3 transcendent seasons in individual performance, but only 2 were noticed due to W/L record, and only 1 mattered due to team performance. Plus longevity as a solid pitcher in the other years.

Cone always pitched well in the World Series, for 5 different champions, and had a ton of solid regular seasons. But only had the one incredible regular season with the Mets that coincidentally got overshadowed by Hershiser’s all time great season, and the Cy Young season in the 94 strike year in Kansas City that went under the radar for both those reasons.

2694743, all three of them
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Apr-29-19 10:39 AM
man, I remember Cone Dogg...
2694708, Dave Stewart
Posted by mrhood75, Sun Apr-28-19 07:37 PM
Four straight 20-win seasons. A Complete Game machine. Three World Championships. Certainly the best ALCS pitcher of all-time. And owner Roger Clemens' soul.
2694710, There was about a 5 year period where he was so tough
Posted by DJR, Sun Apr-28-19 08:10 PM
His entire 20’s were basically wasted, as far as HOF goes.

Starting at age 30, until he got too old though? Damn good.
2694744, one of my favorite players of all time.
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Apr-29-19 10:40 AM
on the A's he was a real bad ass.
2694715, Kenny Lofton is a great one
Posted by SynsCei, Sun Apr-28-19 09:34 PM
Of course I'm playing J Cole's "KL" ...

Dave Stewart was a bit before my time.
2694717, Mark Grace, Go Cubs Go!!!!
Posted by isaaaa, Sun Apr-28-19 09:47 PM

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com
2694718, Mark Buerhle, Fred McGriff, Will Clark, Kevin Brown, John Olerud
Posted by DJR, Sun Apr-28-19 09:48 PM
Alright, I wouldn’t argue any of them SHOULD be a hall of famer(probably...I could be convinced for Crime Dog and Brown) but they’re all easily hall of very good.
2694721, If Harold Baines is in, McGriff should be in.
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Apr-29-19 01:41 AM
2694723, RE: Hall of the very good or deserving?
Posted by MarkyMark, Mon Apr-29-19 08:00 AM
World Fucking Champion 2008 Phillies had a few of these guys - Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, and Jimmy Rollins.

Howard's prime is bonkers - HR and RBI totals that were on par with Babe Ruth. Unfortunately he got a relatively late start to his career and his career fell off a cliff after the Achilles injury. The career numbers just aren't there due to the lack of longevity.

Utley was the best hitting 2B in baseball for a period but again end of career raw numbers aren't there.

Of the three, I think Rollins has the best HOF case and should get in eventually.
2694745, Jay Buhner is my Seattle nominee
Posted by GOMEZ, Mon Apr-29-19 10:49 AM
He had a 3 year stretch where he was an absolute beast during peak Mariners. He smashed baseballs and had about as good an arm as anyone I've seen in right field.