Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI think the Lakers have always had their eyes on a 2020 run
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2684563&mesg_id=2686610
2686610, I think the Lakers have always had their eyes on a 2020 run
Posted by Vex_id, Mon Feb-04-19 02:28 PM
This year has been about figuring out who can run w/ the wolves for the next 3 years to vie for titles w/ Bron. They are in win-now mode for the next 3 years - but this year is experimental in a sense. Come next year, there will be no time for incremental improvement and patience with slowly developing young players.

I think the reason you want to try to get AD sooner than later is to go through the initial buffering phase where chemistry is developed. It'd be nice to do that now when there is really no expectation that the Lakers will make a deep playoff run. Also- the Lakers won't be done if they acquire AD - they will be able to make a play for another prime FA as well.

The Lakers have essentially seen what they have w/ the young core - and they should be comfortable w/ letting some of those promising pieces go for a rare talent like AD. That said, I wouldn't give up everybody - because I don't think the Pels are going to be able to command the market for AD. Teams ain't gonna give away the house for a one year rental.

-->