Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectSo I guess the next cba is gonna have a patrick mccaw clause
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2683800
2683800, So I guess the next cba is gonna have a patrick mccaw clause
Posted by Cenario, Mon Jan-07-19 08:08 PM
https://deadspin.com/the-patrick-mccaw-holdout-saga-keeps-getting-weirder-1831559301/amp
2683812, lmao, dan gilbert just wanted to fuck over the warriors. GOOD.
Posted by bshelly, Mon Jan-07-19 08:37 PM
if pat mccaw don't want an owner

all up in the videoooooooooooooos

come to Philly!!
2683902, I didn't think this warranted its own post so I threw it in the Cavs post
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Jan-07-19 11:47 PM
but he is the most hilarious acquisition of all time
2683819, I'm confused. Can someone break it down
Posted by calminvasion, Mon Jan-07-19 08:59 PM
Is the loop hole that cle signed him to a non-guaranteed contract?
.I thought those didn't exist in NBA
2683822, no, they absolutely exist...
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Jan-07-19 09:08 PM
the issue is that Cleveland skeevily signed him to an offer sheet they knew GS wouldn’t match, then waived him almost instantly, before the deadline to do so...essentially making him an unrestricted fagent and relieving GS of the rights to him.
2683836, So collusion? Did it as a favor to gs?
Posted by calminvasion, Mon Jan-07-19 09:34 PM
What was in it for cavs?
2683839, to be cocksuckers...
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Jan-07-19 09:39 PM
and also now they can offer him less than the 2/6mil they originally did. GS doesn’t get to match, now. They waived him and are now interested in signing him back. Of course Gilbert would want to fuck with the Warriors.
2683844, Want to feel bad for him, but don't
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Jan-07-19 09:46 PM
Could have signed a 2-year, $5.2 million contract with us, but ended up as a pawn for Gilbert weird "revenge" scheme that the Warriors don't really care about. Whole thing was dumb on McCaw's part, because it wasn't like teams were beating down his door to sign him.

Oh well, McKinnie is better anyway.

EDITED for types
2683847, That about sums it up.
Posted by Beezo, Mon Jan-07-19 09:52 PM
>Could have signed a 2-year, $5.2 million contract with us,
>but ended up as a pawn for Gilbert weird "revenge" scheme that
>the Warriors don't really care about. Whole thing was dumb on
>McCaw's door, because it wasn't like teams were beating down
>his door to sign him.
>
>Oh well, McKinnie is better anyway.
2683937, I'll take my L on him
Posted by Amritsar, Tue Jan-08-19 09:41 AM
had him pinned as our replacement for Iggy

still wish him well regardless of course
2683959, He looked promising after his rookie season
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Jan-08-19 12:42 PM
But truthfully, even when he wasn't hurt last season he didn't look very good.

If he would have developed, he could have been interesting, but if some other team wants to sign him, that's okay. I really doubt he'll get more than $5.2 million offer he got from us though.
2683850, When Dan Gilbert hands you anything with Comic Sans...run!
Posted by Castro, Mon Jan-07-19 10:02 PM
2683926, kind of reminds me how they changed the CBA
Posted by Dr Claw, Tue Jan-08-19 08:53 AM
because the Cavs traded Zydrunas Ilgauskas to the Wizards who waived him, then they resigned him again in 30 days
2683950, I'm not buying the Gilbert-did-all-this-to-fuck-GSW conspiracy.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Jan-08-19 12:20 PM
McCaw sat on waivers for two months instead of joining the Warriors. He clearly was over playing there and thought he deserved a bigger deal. And if the Warriors felt they needed him, they'd have negotiated with him further, but they were willing to let him chill at home. (Plus, if the big narrative people are crafting is the Warriors' "chemistry issues," would adding a bench guy who's pissy about his contract really help that?) So yeah, I don't think the effect on the Warriors was really part of the thought process.

Gilbert DID, however, certainly did this to fuck McCaw out of the guaranteed money from the offer sheet. It'd be one thing if they waived him because they thought he had a shitty attitude and didn't want to play in Cleveland (and no one would blame him for feeling that way)-- but it says they're interested in re-signing him after he clears waivers! That's a pretty transparent move on Gilbert's part. He sees the lack of interest in the dude at the current price point that the Warriors said they'd match, so he gives McCaw a contract above the GSW price point to get McCaw to sign-- then cuts him, avoiding the guaranteed 2-year deal, and will almost certainly offer something less lengthy and/or binding.

Remains to be seen if McCaw will clear waivers without generating other interest-- though considering the NBA had two months to try to beat a 2-year, hair-over-5-mil deal and flatly refused, it seems that he'll be available for Cleveland. Also remains to be seen if McCaw would want to go to Cleveland after this... though I wonder if Gilbert could entice him with a 1-year deal for a higher paycheck this year, with the selling point that he could be a free agent again next season. Maybe McCaw has a change of heart and accepts the Warriors' previous offer if they offer it again.

But yeah, as much as I love petty owner antics, seems more like this is just Gilbert being his usual shitheel self, trying to get a better deal for him than the player's current price.

2683958, It would be a really stupid "conspiracy" if so.
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Jan-08-19 12:39 PM
If the Warriors had wanted him, they would have signed him even a few weeks ago. They figured he was worth $5.2 million over two years. He wanted more, so vaya con dios.

Like most of Gilbert's plan, this one just makes him look petty, cheap, and dumb.
2684021, I thought this was done to benefit mccraw
Posted by Cenario, Tue Jan-08-19 10:21 PM
Now he is unrestricted fagent, which is what he wanted.

Any deal he was likely to get, dubs woulda matched

Now they cant.

Which is why dubs are pissy

Mccraw is in a better position now than he was before.
2684023, Warriors still could have matched the Cavs offer for essentially nothing
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Jan-08-19 10:53 PM
If they really wanted him on the team, he'd be on the team.
2684032, Right, he knew dubs wasnt gonna match tho
Posted by Cenario, Wed Jan-09-19 07:56 AM
2684119, That wasn't what happened though
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Jan-09-19 06:27 PM
Over the summer/off-season, they offered him $1.7 million for a season. He came back and said he wanted two seasons. So they offered him two years, the second being a team option. Then he came back and said he wanted two years guaranteed. So then they offered him the two-year, $5.2 million deal. All the while, no other team was making him.

If his plan all along was that he wanted to leave, this was sure a dumb way to negotiate it. Especially since the Warriors have never had a problem with players walking away if they can find a better deal. With Kevon Looney, they let him know that they'd be happy to have him back, but they could only afford to pay him $2.2 million. So if he could find a better deal with another team, there wouldn't be any hard feelings. He re-signed with us for the minimum, which is not only less than they could pay him, but less money than they offered McCaw at the minimum. And Looney will probably end up making more than McCaw when he signs somewhere else next season.
2684126, Never said that it was his plan all along.
Posted by Cenario, Wed Jan-09-19 11:23 PM
At this point, what he wanted was unrestricted fagency and he got it.

What his plan was originally...i have no idea, but i agree it aint work.
2684027, ... why would he want this? He was getting *zero* offers.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jan-09-19 01:26 AM
>Now he is unrestricted fagent, which is what he wanted.
>
>Any deal he was likely to get, dubs woulda matched

But he got no deal. None whatsoever. Until the Cavs came along two months later!

Why would he expect, "Well, the last two months no one wanted him, but now that I get a grand total of zero guaranteed dollars, the offers will pour in! I'm such a lucky fella!"?
2684033, Is it better to be a restricted fagent or unrestricted
Posted by Cenario, Wed Jan-09-19 08:00 AM
Thats the only change in his situation. Im not saying it was his plan from the start.

Cle basically awarded Mccraw unrestricted fagency. He is in a better situation now than he was before.
2684132, IT'S MCCAW.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jan-10-19 01:34 AM
(sorry, that's been killing me in this post, lol.)

I don't see how being unrestricted helps him. He was unwilling to sign a 2-yr, 5ish mil deal for guaranteed money and a grand total of 0 teams were offering more.

Does he now suddenly want to play for a worse contract?
2684136, I think you're missing something
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Jan-10-19 03:09 AM
he might just not want to play for the Warriors at all.

being a restricted FA meant someone would have had to tie up their cap space while waiting for the warriors to match so he couldn't get an offer even if a slightly better one was maybe out there (whether it was or not, if he thought it was that's enough)

so maybe he did just want off their roster by whatever means necessary.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
2684137, I'm not missing it, I just think it's weird.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jan-10-19 03:30 AM
I don't know why the Warriors kept saying they'd match his offers if he'd made it known he didn't want to be there. He's not remotely good enough to keep his deal just to keep him out of the hands of others-- as evidenced by the zero offers he received the first two months of the season.

Now he's playing for the Raps for a 1 year vet minimum, on a roster where I can't imagine he'll be topping the 17 MPG he was getting in Golden State.

Maybe it was some personal shit, I reckon that's a possibility. That makes people do weird things. I just don't know why the Warriors would've kept saying they'd want him back if he was like, "Nah, I don't want to come back under any circumstances."
2684143, Being an unrestricted free agent>>than restricted
Posted by Cenario, Thu Jan-10-19 07:52 AM
Its as simple as that.

You're overcomplicating it
2684534, I feel having multi-year deals >>> 1 year vet minimum deals.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jan-14-19 06:25 PM
But that's just me, apparently!
2684008, guess GS does care...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Jan-08-19 06:08 PM
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1082773964303360001
2684012, Is $800K worth playing in CLE instead of GSW?
Posted by bentagain, Tue Jan-08-19 07:50 PM
Not to mention he's already acclimated to the GSW team and community

I would have stayed in GSW for $800K less

...if not for the above, just to avoid Gilbert...
2684014, he wasn't trying to stay over there, though
Posted by Dr Claw, Tue Jan-08-19 08:13 PM
is Philly able to pick him up?
2684022, GSW could have matched...the move wasn't completely by his choice
Posted by bentagain, Tue Jan-08-19 10:31 PM
IDK a whole lot about the regulations surrounding this example...but it's being made to sound he's on the waiver wire

So any team can pick him up...I guess

But who'd want to put their franchise in this mess halfway through the season...for a 8-9th guy off the bench?

I think the 6ers just filled their last roster spot too...

If he doesn't go back to GSW...I wouldn't expect him to get picked up
2684026, Here for the comedy, but...
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Jan-09-19 12:36 AM
I don't remember if it was mentioned already but the Warriors would have to pay $11M more than his new salary because that new contract would count against the luxury tax.

Maybe McCaw is worth the $2M to the Dubs but not the additional $11M to keep him?
2684030, y'all mad, btw
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Jan-09-19 07:09 AM
imagine being the darlings of the NBA and yet butthurt enough to investigate a case of "collusion" over a guy you didn't want to re-up in the first place.

but because "Comic Sans" and the 2010 LeFail, this is a story, lol. the "fucking over the Warriors" angle was funny but all they had to do was match. it makes 0 sense for the Cavs specifically to do this guy a favor to get into RFA, because what do they get out of this? no picks, I guess nominal cap room. Cavs have been signing and waiving guards since JR decided he wasn't going to be a member of the team this year and people have been injured.

if Silver decides he's going to make this a "thing" because Basketball Bobby Kraft's cheeks are singed, I'm done
2684116, We The North
Posted by Beezo, Wed Jan-09-19 05:45 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1083121287055228937?s=21
2684138, 1 year vet min. Likely for fewer minutes than he'd play in Golden State.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jan-10-19 03:33 AM
Guess he really, really didn't want to go back to Golden State. *shrug*
2684140, thank you Toronto.
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Jan-10-19 06:22 AM
2684529, Shams Dogg: 'NBA sez Cavs Not Guilty'
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Jan-14-19 04:28 PM
FUCK YOU GOLDEN TAINT
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1084901373047697409
2684533, RE: Shams Dogg: 'NBA sez Cavs Not Guilty'
Posted by bentagain, Mon Jan-14-19 05:57 PM
"The Cavs could have forfeited a draft pick had they been found guilty of any offenses."

Imgaine losing out on a tank for Zion season...for Patrick McCaw

The Cavs are such a shit organization, I really want that to happen

APPEAL!