Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI love Lonzo. LOVE him.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2683430&mesg_id=2684092
2684092, I love Lonzo. LOVE him.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Jan-09-19 02:14 PM
Never loved and rooted for a player as much as him since young FroBe.

And not so much because Lonzo's a UCLA cat, but because, philosophically, there's so much about his game that I love: understated, super unselfish, vision for days, doesn't care about his own stats, all business in interviews. Absolute consummate team player.

But that same sort of demeanor shows up in weird ways on the court. He doesn't care about his stats but he's visibly affected when his shots not falling. He can disengage from games after mistakes. But when he's on? He's a fucking black hole on defense and no one on the team runs the fast break better than him.

Saw a comment on reddit that really makes sense to me... Lonzo's like a basketball savant with a preternatual understanding of the game that decades-long stars will never achieve but he flunked out of Basketball 101 and is complete shit at some of the most basic fundmentals. This weird dichotomy explains his polarizatation, regardless of whether you're a fan of him or not.

I love him so much but goddamn is he frustrating. You're right, he may really just be an average pro. And that's fine... and terrifying.