Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjecther history is baked in to her character, and her offense is solid enough
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2681710&mesg_id=2684610
2684610, her history is baked in to her character, and her offense is solid enough
Posted by Tiger Woods, Tue Jan-15-19 12:16 PM

To begin with, I really only think there's like 4 or 5 legitimate women performers. Women's wrestling, at least serious mainstream women's wrestling, is still in its infancy stages. As characters go and as in-ring offense is concerned, I believe Charlotte, Becky, Asuka, and I guess Nia Jax just because she's big. But most of these women are still just awful and their offense looks like 10 year old boys fighting on the playground - like Bayley, Natalya, Sasha Banks, Alicia Fox, Naomi...it just doesn't cut it. They're not physical or believable enough.

So just in the context of the women's division in general, Rousey stands out just based on what you already know about her. Top that off with believable and unorthodox offense, offense that's rooted in actual combat sports, and you get a credible character in an area of the roster that badly needs one.

At face value, sure, she doesn't really do anything especially well. And man is she a terrible promo (they trust her way too much in this area). But she's almost important by default to me, largely because most of her peers don't seem important at all.