Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectOT Kaleb McGary, Washington
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2674013&mesg_id=2681065
2681065, OT Kaleb McGary, Washington
Posted by will_5198, Wed Dec-05-18 09:01 PM
Although he's played in the shadow of teammate Trey Adams (preseason All-American in 2017 who has only started 8 games since then due to ACL and back injuries), I've thought McGary has been the better player for a while now.

He is a massively nimble man, with a huge frame (6'8, 324) but well-defined. I love him in the run game -- he dominates at the line and on the move. You see linebackers try to challenge him and just get engulfed into this moving black hole.

In the passing game he's more inconsistent, but promising. He's not good enough to guess wrong -- his ugliest snaps originate from bad starting technique -- but he shows the foundation of a solid pass protector. Feet are controlled, and he can mirror/punch a variety of rush points. If he cuts down on the self-inflicted mistakes, he's going to fairly reliable when you drop back.

Offensive line play is so down across the league, it seems like every prospect gets a round bump these days. But I like his traits, and even in his worst moments he'll come back the next snap and impress you. A nice potential upgrade at right tackle.

+ Effortless sealing the edge and pinning defenders; he's the guy that jump-starts a big outside zone run
+ Gets to smaller second-level defenders with target-and-destroy ability
+ Impressive moments in pass protection when his fundamentals are on point

- Tall guy who can get pulled off-balance in his pass sets, either overreaching against speed or getting fooled on a counter
- Lacks that elite kick-slide of the best offensive tackles