Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectDE Joe Jackson, Miami-FL
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2674013&mesg_id=2679269
2679269, DE Joe Jackson, Miami-FL
Posted by will_5198, Sun Nov-18-18 12:11 AM
I was more excited about him last year. He hasn't improved any since then, which is a concerning developmental timeline for a 22-year-old.

He's strictly a hand-down, 4-3 end -- when he's being disruptive, he runs the arc well and converts speed to power. Nothing jaw-dropping, just solid edge rusher stuff with a good dose of length. I was hoping the rest of his technique would be more advanced this season (hand use, leverage, attack plan), but he's still relying on the same two moves he had as a freshman. And opponents are adjusting: his production has plateaued since his 8.5 sacks as a part-timer in 2016 (he's yet to reach that number in a full season since).

Since he's not a super-athlete, I don't see how he's going to maintain his same impact at a higher difficulty level. I'm not going to close the book on him yet, but my enthusiasm for his potential has turned into a boredom for what he is.

+ Looks like a NFL pass-rusher at weigh-ins (6'5, 260 with a big wingspan)
+ When he wins first punch or outside rip, he's a handful coming around that corner
+ Fighter who gives high effort against run or pass

- Leverage is routinely bad, and gets him walked to a safe spot away from the quarterback
- Can flatten a bit, but otherwise as flexible as a board
- Hand technique is lacking and goes long stretches without any counters or different rush ideas