Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectS Lukas Denis, Boston College
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2674013&mesg_id=2679268
2679268, S Lukas Denis, Boston College
Posted by will_5198, Sat Nov-17-18 11:30 PM
He can do a lot of things you need out of a modern-day safety, so I want to like him. His tackling, however...sheesh. He gets flat-out smoked at least once a game, which is hard for me to reconcile.

Coverage-wise he draws your attention, with clean movements and the ability to mirror tight ends or slot receivers. Boston College even got a little brazen (a lot, rather) and had him shadow Kelvin Harmon this year. Harmon eventually went off but at least Denis had a few good reps (former HS corner), which is more than most safeties could say in that situation.

I wish I could put as good a spin on his tackling. I mean, he's been playing defense for a long time now and started a bunch of games in college -- he has the *ability* to be an average stopper, he just doesn't do it. Everybody misses tackles but his are the back-breaking, to-the-house variety.

If you focus on his ability to play over slot and single-high, along with his length to contest and close on passes, there is talent to work with here. I just can't give the full endorsement, because he's always one whiff on a slant or alley-fill from giving up a 70-yarder. By definition that is the opposite of a safety.

+ Lanky frame with smooth body control and a burst
+ Lines up all over the field and does a good job of assignment football

- A dice roll when tackling in the open field
- Failed geometry and takes some backwards-ass pursuit angles