Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectDE Rashan Gary, Michigan
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2674013&mesg_id=2676584
2676584, DE Rashan Gary, Michigan
Posted by will_5198, Mon Oct-22-18 09:04 PM
Anybody remember Bud Dupree's NFL Combine? It was one of the freakier workouts in recent years. He ran a 4.56. He had a 42" vertical (higher than Marcus Peters). He broad-jumped 11'6" (further than Julio Jones). And he did all this at 270 pounds!

Gary feels like Dupree. He's a 6'5, 283-pound sculpture with the movement skills of a 220-pounder. The first time I really started paying attention to him last year, I was slack-jawed at some of the plays he made. He could easily have similar testing numbers across the board.

Like Dupree though, the dominance is intermittent. Where is the game-to-game, snap-to-snap impact? When am I going to see more than one-and-a-half pass rushing moves? How come offenses rarely send extra help to block him?

In the NFL, you usually bet on special traits that can't be taught -- Gary has those, but as an overall football player he has a ways to go. Dupree is 25 years-old and still hasn't figured it out.

+ Insane pursuit speed and agility for a man his size
+ Sets a hard edge in the run game and annihilates tight ends
+ Can line up at any position in the front seven; creates favorable match-ups for himself and teammates

- Doesn't use his hands very well or have many pass rushing tools, so he can be neutralized for long stretches with basic pass-pro technique
- Not quick to diagnose plays as they happen
- Wingspan seems average and he takes long routes to the quarterback
- May not have a "best" position (the dreaded "tweener")