Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI guess I'm alone with this, but...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2672609&mesg_id=2675802
2675802, I guess I'm alone with this, but...
Posted by Selassie I God, Tue Oct-16-18 03:38 PM
Rousey does nothing for me.

Full disclosure: I hold something against her for being given the title basically without any singles matches, using only a couple of tag matches where she was carried and her Strikeforce/UFC rep.

Now, that said...she doesn't impress me in ring. She is athletic, so the few moves she uses look decent, but the move set is extremely limited, and she is stiff IMO. There is no storytelling in her matches...she shows up smiling, then instantly puts on her grumpy face, judo throw, armbar, tap out, then smiley face returns. Her emotions aren't convincing to me, very much contrived.

On the mic...ugh. she can't speak two lines without stumbling, and she sounds like a 10 year old that has to recite a speech...rushing through it with no authenticity. Last night's promo with the Bellas (I was there in the cheap seats) with the exception of the line about Cena bedroom door, was terrible. The Bellas didn't help her any, because they stink too, but man, if you barely work in ring and suck on the mic, why are you the champion?? Asuka came in undefeated with a streak that lasted forever, after holding (and never losing) the NXT belt, she was super over, and she couldn't get a sniff at the title. I'm guessing that is partly Vince and his "anyone not white has no shot to headline" mode, but damn, Asuka did all of that and is now almost buried while Rousey tap dances in and grabs the belt from Bliss.

I think Rousey could develop to be good if she trained and worked at it, but I have no reason to think that she'll be around for more than a year, so if this is what she is, this makes the womens division look weak and shades out all the hard workers on the roster.