Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: 2018-2019 NBA Western Conference: 5 Questions...Your Opinion
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2669624&mesg_id=2669695
2669695, RE: 2018-2019 NBA Western Conference: 5 Questions...Your Opinion
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue Jul-31-18 05:33 PM
>1) How many games do the Lakers (35-47 last season) win this
>year?

I'm gonna say 50-55, call it 51 if you want an exact prediction. Unless the #Kang gets hurt, then they will flail around and drown summarily, be a bottom-end lotto team depending on when it happens. But he has been very durable so let's assume he stays healthy and drags them to 50. The question will be how far their young trio progresses and which Rondo we see. If everything goes as well as possible, why not conference finals?

>2) Of these teams, who makes the playoffs:
>1-Rockets (65-17)
Obviously.

>2-Warriors (58-25)

Gee, I'm on the fence.

>3-Blazers (49-33)

Probably though I think they will drop off, be more like a bubble team.
>4-Jazz (48-34)

Yes, on the strength of coaching. They will have to have better health and some guys step forward just to run in place but they should get that. Middle seed like 5/6.

>5-Thunder (48-34)

Yes but they won't go anywhere.

>6-Pelicans (48-34)

Yes, but a bubble team.

>7-Spurs (47-35)
Decent chance of no IMHO, coaching is good, talent is just good enough but things are trending in the wrong direction and they aren't a very athletic team.
>8-Wolves (47-35)
Decent chance of no, definitely a bubble team with the chemistry issues and coaching they have.
>9-Nuggets (46-36)
Quite possible that they make it, they certainly have the talent and balance. But they are kind of a shitty franchise and it sounds like they got a little shallower having traded Chandler and now seeing Porter Jr out for God knows how long.
>10-Lakers
Yes, obviously.
>11-Grizz (22-60)
Lol no. Conley healthy and JJJ should help. They won't be embarrassing like last year but they won't make the playoffs.

Why not include Dallas, Sac, PHX and the Clippers? We put the Grizz in there for fuck's sake.

Sac won't make it, still a dumpster fire. Not liking what I saw from Bagley in Summer League, they aren't using him correctly and he ain't as ready as he looked against NCAA competition. Not calling him a bust I just don't think he can buoy them right away.

Clippers overachieved last year and theoretically will be deeper now, but loss of DJ hurts and they'd be hard-pressed to replicate last year's results, let alone get better and make the playoffs.

PHX should be improved but they aren't there yet, still a AAAA roster, really.

Dallas is the one team I think could make it. Solid coaching, nice FA addition in DJ that got overlooked for whatever reason, ready-to-play rook in Doncic and a guy who should get more efficient in Dennis Smith. I don't think they will make the playoffs but if someone else falters, they might sneak in. I think they will be a narrow miss kind of like the Clippers were last year (or the Nuggets though I dunno if they will get that close).

>3) Which team will improve the most and which team will fall
>off the hardest?

Kinda answered above I think Portland, Minnie and SA are all candidates for the hardest fall. Good arguments for all three. I'll say Minnie though, really not liking the direction things are headed there.

Biggest improvements well Lakers number one and then Dallas number two. Could be a .500 season for the Mavs.

>4) Who will have the best season between the Suns, Mavs and
>Kings?

Mavs easily, then PHX then Sac.

>5) Which west rookie will have the biggest impact on team
>success yr 1 and why?
>-Doncic
>-Ayton
>-Bagley
>-SGA
>-Giles (technically)
>-Bridges
>-Porter Jr
>-Other

I'll say Doncic though I think JJJ in Memphis has a great shot, as does Carter in Chicago. Knox will do numbers in NY, he'll have a lot of opportunity. Young will be like this year's Dennis Smith. I think Doncic, Carter and JJJ will go 1-2-3 in ROY voting.