Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectNaw Bruh.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2667831&mesg_id=2667934
2667934, Naw Bruh.
Posted by Castro, Wed Jul-11-18 08:46 AM
Perfect example, one of my dudes I grew up with played goalie. Now this dude wasn't straight hood or nothing like that, but he wasn't a good student. But we ran track together, he played basketball and he was an all around good athlete....but soccer? He was a BEAST. Ended up being all state, but because of them grades...and the fact that he was unapologetically Blk, couldn't sniff any major university scholarships. Still ended up playing in a German league.

Structurally, there were fields and leagues in our town, and in our area there were a lot of folks from the Carribean, so there was a cultural structure for the game, but in school, the only two other blk youth on the team were kids with upper middle class money. They didnt advance in the game past high school.

My boy was a good athlete...he wasn't a Terrell Owens or a Nate Robinson level athlete, and despite race and structural deficiencies dude ended up playing professionally in Europe. There is a reason european and asian leagues put a cap on foreign players...them squads would be 80% African.