Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectCristiano Ronaldo to Juventus. £105m transfer. £30m/year salary
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2667728
2667728, Cristiano Ronaldo to Juventus. £105m transfer. £30m/year salary
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Jul-10-18 10:09 AM
normally i'd post this in the transfer megathread but as it involves the GOAT it deserves it's own thread.

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/1016698065485467648

now begins the quest to win a CL and league title for a THIRD team. has anyone done that?

RM Official statement (translated)
https://www.realmadrid.com/noticias/2018/07/comunicado-oficial-cristiano-ronaldo?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=organico?vauto=1

Real Madrid CF communicates that, in response to the will and request expressed by the player Cristiano Ronaldo, he has agreed to transfer to Juventus FC.

Today, Real Madrid wants to express its gratitude to a player who has proved to be the best in the world and who has marked one of the brightest times in the history of our club and world football.

Beyond the conquered titles, the trophies achieved and the triumphs achieved in the playing fields during these 9 years, Cristiano Ronaldo has been an example of dedication, work, responsibility, talent and improvement.

He has also become the top scorer in the history of Real Madrid with 451 goals in 438 games. In total 16 titles, including 4 European Cups, 3 of them consecutive and 4 in the last 5 seasons. On an individual basis, with the Real Madrid jersey he has won 4 Gold Balls, 2 The Best, and 3 Gold Boots, among many other awards.

For Real Madrid Cristiano Ronaldo will always be one of his great symbols and a unique reference for the next generations.

Real Madrid will always be your home.
2667730, it does?
Posted by benny, Tue Jul-10-18 10:25 AM
> as it
>involves the GOAT it deserves it's own thread.

also, yawn
2667735, 33 year old goat on a 4 year contract...pass
Posted by B9, Tue Jul-10-18 10:40 AM
Good on him to land in the one elite league where his diminishing pace won't matter much, but that contract is about 2 years too long.
2667737, same shit people said 2 or 3 years ago...yet...
Posted by PROMO, Tue Jul-10-18 10:43 AM
yeah.
2667741, 30 is different than 33, which is way different than 37. Trust.
Posted by B9, Tue Jul-10-18 10:50 AM
Not saying he's done, but this is basically an elite player's version of going to China.
2667917, Year 4 will suck and they will lose big on the transfer fee
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Jul-11-18 02:53 AM
Surely this is not some foolish decision, they know they can profit from this and perhaps substantially if he delivers the champions league success they seek. But 390 million is a huge investment and time remains undefeated. Probably the last year will be a waste. I think Madrid got every cent of their transfer fee back. Juventus will be lucky to get 40 cents on the dollar, really lucky
2667933, juve are historically cautious and financially prudent for a "big" club
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Jul-11-18 08:46 AM
they would not have done this move w/o crunching the numbers 10 times over to make sure they dont lose here
2667938, Juve also spent 90 mil euro on Higuain two years ago
Posted by thejerseytornado, Wed Jul-11-18 09:13 AM
financially prudent, except when they aren't.
-----------
you think we playing chess, but i'm playing mad-making. Basaglia
2667941, financially it didnt hurt them though
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Jul-11-18 09:19 AM
otherwise they wouldnt be in a position to splash even bigger on CR7
2667944, by that definition of prudent, damn near every team is prudent
Posted by thejerseytornado, Wed Jul-11-18 09:39 AM

-----------
2667986, ... and continued their stranglehold on Serie A.
Posted by khn, Wed Jul-11-18 12:59 PM
Higuain is obviously no great shakes for Argentina but has been an absolute monster in calcio ever since Napoli brought him over from Real Madrid.

That was an amazing transfer for Juve. And bullshit for Serie A overall, since swooping on him and Pjanic in the same summer handicapped their two immediate rivals for the crown and thereby consolidated their power even further.

So, no, it was a tremendous piece of business and one of the reasons why they're in a position to do things like this right now.
2668002, hindsight is 20/20
Posted by thejerseytornado, Wed Jul-11-18 01:56 PM
when he was signed for 90, no one said "oh, that's a good price for Higuain." No one.

at the time, it was the 3rd highest fee for a player EVER. the most EVER for a South American. most ever for an italian squad .it was astonishing. And then the market hyperinflated and it doesn't look as insane as it did at the time.

here's pretty much the only comment on it on this board "Higuain gone for 90mil? yawn (and ridiculous)" from benny. the guardian called it "Crazy transfer fee of Gonzalo Higuaín leads us into theatre of the absurd"

-----------
2668153, That was always just EPL/Barca/Madrid myopia, man
Posted by khn, Thu Jul-12-18 11:35 AM
Higuain was in his absolute prime and was clearly the best striker in Serie A at the time of that transfer. And he was the best player on Juve's direct competition for the league... a team that really didn't have any impetus to sell him, aside from wanting Scrooge McDuck $$$. I literally can't think of any sort of situation where a team doesn't pay top dollar for getting arguably the best player in the league, in his prime, AND striking a would-be (Napoli, per usual, spent that loot beautifully) critical blow to your direct rivals to the throne. And in those terms, 90m feels close to a bargain.

But a lot of people don't really follow Serie A.

*EDIT* - I guess, in TL;DR terms, maybe the best place to pull anecdotal reactions from to gauge the impact that transfer had would be Calcio-facing publications/voices. I'm sure there you could find people who were hating, but the majority of people who follow Serie A knew what that deal meant at the time it happened, and things have played out rather predictably since.
2668157, show, don't tell
Posted by thejerseytornado, Thu Jul-12-18 11:50 AM
where's the calcio facing pub saying "good, reasonable price" versus "whoa! never seen that before!"

the claim was juventus is conservative and prudent and two years ago, they made the biggest transfer *ever* for their league and for Higuain. it may have been a good transfer and, as future transfers show, not that expensive at all--but they broke the bank at the time. it wasn't conservative.

fwiw, transfermarkt had him valued at 65 mil at the time. i admit i could be wrong and that it was a conservative move, but i don't think that's the case.
-----------
2668182, I just don't see the imprudence. Didn't then, certainly don't now.
Posted by khn, Thu Jul-12-18 01:46 PM
It's easy to look at the number out of context a few years later and say that was some Florentino-level profligacy. I disagree and, to BKWhat's point, absolutely falls in line with Juve being ruthlessly effective at getting good value out of their business as opposed to irresponsibly splashing cash around. That wasn't simply buying Higuain, a top 3 Serie A player of the decade, but *also* a move to decisively bury a Napoli side that had been nipping at their heels.

As far as the citing of sources, I don't feel like either of us is trying to get particularly academic here, so here's a google of "gonzalo higuain juventus transfer reaction"

https://deadspin.com/juventuss-ungodly-fee-for-gonzalo-higuain-is-well-worth-1784341771

https://www.eurosport.com/football/serie-a/2015-2016/gonzalo-higuain-s-78m-juventus-move-its-place-in-history-and-what-it-means-for-football_sto5699162/story.shtml
2668188, i guess i should have focused on the claim of "cautious"
Posted by thejerseytornado, Thu Jul-12-18 02:25 PM
it was a successful move. Future money numbers shows it wasn't an overly expensive move.

it wasn't a cautious move. nor is this cr7 move. we'll see if it works half as well.

-----------
2667988, This is Juve pushing all in on the CL.
Posted by khn, Wed Jul-11-18 01:02 PM
Sad as it is to say they could probably reel off another 3 Serie A titles with the squad they currently have, sans CR7.

There is nothing left for this team to accomplish other than the CL. They're just paying top dollar to do so.
2668140, LOL i love when fans don't understand contracts or overpaying
Posted by Heinz, Thu Jul-12-18 10:11 AM
You pay for the good years knowing most likely you might get the players down years.....thats always the case. If it wasn't a gamble on the teams side then the deal would be longer and for more money LOL

It's like fans of any sport think that contracts should always be team friendly...wtf is wrong with you.

----------

IG @h_n_z
2667848, For most players sure, but Cristiano is a different level
Posted by LA2Philly, Tue Jul-10-18 03:19 PM
His commitment and dedication is paying ultimate dividends now. Similar to Lebron
2667754, really, really, really, really glad we signed Harry before the World Cup
Posted by bshelly, Tue Jul-10-18 11:20 AM
it makes me hopeful we can hold off Real, at least for a year or so.
2667755, yep that's smart business. Uncle Flo is about to go HAM in the market
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Jul-10-18 11:25 AM
2667757, who are their other likely targets besides neymar?
Posted by bshelly, Tue Jul-10-18 11:27 AM
2667759, mbappe, hazard. prolly both to be honest
Posted by dillinjah, Tue Jul-10-18 11:30 AM
2667761, Hazard, Kane, Milinkovic-Savic
Posted by B9, Tue Jul-10-18 11:34 AM
Mbappe's potential price would be impossible to trigger, even for them. Hazard would be expensive but affordable.
2667764, they'll have to pay over 200 million for Harry
Posted by bshelly, Tue Jul-10-18 11:38 AM
new contract + new stadium = it's going to have to be a truly obscene number to get it done before the august window closes, absent harry getting extraordinarily adamant. Winter's a possibility, but it's next summer where I go back into ultra worry.
2667769, New stadium to pay for, too
Posted by B9, Tue Jul-10-18 11:59 AM
Everyone has a price.
2667873, No doubt. I just think it won’t be this window.
Posted by bshelly, Tue Jul-10-18 04:41 PM
2668154, Y'all are getting Super Jack from us just as he matures too
Posted by magilla vanilla, Thu Jul-12-18 11:38 AM
because Dr. Tony's plan for buying Villa was :

1) Get promoted immediately
2) ???????
3) Profit
2667773, Yes, it's been done. Seedorf won the CL with 3 different teams
Posted by Hitokiri, Tue Jul-10-18 12:12 PM
2667778, lol. cr7 fans stay cysing shit
Posted by thejerseytornado, Tue Jul-10-18 12:22 PM

-----------
2667796, asking a question is a cyse now. got it.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Jul-10-18 01:00 PM
2667878, jesus. messi stans are fucking miserable.
Posted by PROMO, Tue Jul-10-18 05:13 PM
can't even ask a question.

on a different note, i miss Seedorf.
2667890, it aint like its a widely accomplished feat
Posted by cgonz00cc, Tue Jul-10-18 06:32 PM
2667902, no, but someone has done it. And Seedorf is a great
Posted by thejerseytornado, Tue Jul-10-18 07:43 PM
*shrug*

-----------
2667792, four titles three teams, right, and yeah i think league titles, too
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue Jul-10-18 12:45 PM
ajax, madrid, milan
2667791, Seedorf? CL titles with three different teams, league title too I think
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue Jul-10-18 12:43 PM