Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectYou Keep What You Kill-The 2018/2019 New York Knicks season post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2667345
2667345, You Keep What You Kill-The 2018/2019 New York Knicks season post
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Jul-06-18 11:37 AM
The You Keep What You Kill phrase is in reference to coach David Fizdale making all of the players actually compete for starting minutes according to what they show in training camps. I like the strategy to keep the players humble, mainly because the Knicks will likely be trash this season, especially since Porzingis will be out for considerable time. I personally want to see if Fizdale brings some defensive schemes and game planing, as the Knicks have been missing that for the past decade or two. I also hope Fizdale doesn't let individual players just stat pad in the absence of Porzingis as that will develop bad habits for the younger guys on this team.

I suppose it is a bit early to make this post since the roster hasn't fully taken shape yet. I believe I read news that the Pacers signed Kyle O'Quinn, so that's one roster slot the Knicks will have to fill. I'm hoping the front office is patient with this team as it's going to take some years for the Knicks to correct the mistakes of the prior years of blunders.

I'm not paying any attention to rumors of top tier free agents wanting to play for the Knicks next season since I don't see what any top tier players would gain from playing with the Knicks as currently constructed. Patient development of the young talent is how I see the Knicks prospering. Here's to hoping David Fizdale along with the current front office are the men for that job.
2667438, im gonna be a Knicks fan this year
Posted by cgonz00cc, Fri Jul-06-18 04:33 PM
my money is on Burke and Hardaway starting together, and im here for it
2667443, Ewww... let's keep the forward momentum going.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Fri Jul-06-18 04:48 PM
2667478, Mudiay and Frank are yrs away from being as good as Burke was
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sat Jul-07-18 09:59 AM
he was good as a Knick from day 1, and once he became a starter he was REALLY good

might be a blip of course...but might not
2667479, Hopefully that disgust
Posted by Numba_33, Sat Jul-07-18 10:25 AM
was strictly for Tim Hardaway Jr., as I fear he'll stat pad and detract from the younger players meshing and functioning as a cohesive unit.

Hopefully I am proven wrong though.
2667486, i mean...someone has to score
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sat Jul-07-18 11:27 AM
and in the backcourt you have 2 players total who can do that...Burke and Hardaway
2667564, Burke will be a great sixth man. And if Hardaway isn't efficient this year
Posted by Castro, Sun Jul-08-18 11:40 AM
its over for him.
2667569, Hardaway is a good player, but not a star.
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sun Jul-08-18 12:29 PM
without Porzingis, who else helped him carry the burden on offense besides Burke?

Super Cool Beas? Courtney Lee?

not a recipe for efficient play
2674404, I should note
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Oct-02-18 11:30 AM
>Courtney Lee?

the news that Courtney Lee is starting the year banged up already; I believe he suffered a neck injury of some sort in a scrimmage or practice drill. I suppose that means more minutes for the younger guys on the squad.

2667442, Here.... for the complete rebuild with Coach Fiz
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Fri Jul-06-18 04:47 PM
https://youtu.be/k-ImCpNqbJw

A whole year to experiment.

Let the kids grow. Kevin Knox. French Frankie. Mitchell Robinson. Even Manny Mudiay. Fuck it.

Let them dick around for a year and improve until next season.
2667450, Going to be an enjoyable watch this year
Posted by Organ, Fri Jul-06-18 06:22 PM
We've all been waiting for an eternity for them to try and build with patience, finally

Hopefully Frank gets close to 30mpg. If he didn't get that much better on defense at all he'd still be better than most perimeter defenders (he's gonna get better though). He'll have more freedom on offense now that stupid ass Hornacek is out of there (erratic leash).

Am expecting more lottery obviously, and that is what we should want with Zingis sidelined.
2667451, WE AIN'T GETTING ROOKED! (we prolly gonna get rocked, stomped...
Posted by Castro, Fri Jul-06-18 06:28 PM
etc)

but we ain't getting rooked. And I am here for that. Onward and upward!
2667535, Kev Knox letting the league know early
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Sat Jul-07-18 07:07 PM
Mitchell is a problem too.

The rebuild is gonna be a blast.
2667563, So far, good plan.
Posted by Castro, Sun Jul-08-18 11:39 AM
Hope Kanter stays, hope Frank takes the next step and we keep Burke as the backup. I like Dotson, and think Trier will be called up and stick if he keeps his head on straight. Robinson could turn out to be the best of the bunch of centers. That would be....great. Knox is hungry and humble. Interesting mix of youth and the right coach. Thought Hornacek would be alright but NY chewed him up. Oh well, we on that new ish.
2667689, O'Quinn: "I wanted to play for something more than next year's draft."
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jul-09-18 04:49 PM
https://twitter.com/cliffWISH8/status/1016370299187748866

Harsh but fair.
2674426, Not mad. I loved his hustle and I hope he comes back.
Posted by Castro, Tue Oct-02-18 03:13 PM
2674478, Pritchard:: "Oquinn may not play at all"
Posted by Cenario, Wed Oct-03-18 10:20 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/2021/kyle-oquinn
2674480, So he may be back next year.
Posted by Castro, Wed Oct-03-18 10:31 AM
2674403, I only watched the first half of last night's pre-season game
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Oct-02-18 11:26 AM
but I liked what little I saw from Mitchell Robinson. Very very lanky dude and it appears he can't shoot worth a lick since his free throw shooting is sub-par at best, but he appears to have very good defensive instincts. Then again, this is only from what I saw in the first half, so I could be wrong.

It appears Frank FrenchLastName has in fact gotten bigger, but his game hasn't improved much compared to last year. Dude needs to be way more aggressive on the offensive end to pose as any sort of threat. I hope this dude gets it eventually because he is huge for a point guard. Time will tell I suppose.
2674428, Its all in Frank's head. I think he wanted to start, but he gotta fight for it.
Posted by Castro, Tue Oct-02-18 03:14 PM
Fitz trying to bring the dog out in him.
2674432, I only watched the second half
Posted by Boogiedwn, Tue Oct-02-18 03:56 PM
I liked the ball movement, they couldn't rebound at all. I don't expect a damn thing out of them this year but hope they show some progression.

2674445, They will rebound.
Posted by Castro, Tue Oct-02-18 06:14 PM
2674472, When they did rebound in the first half
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Oct-03-18 08:34 AM
I was impressed with the running I saw. Hopefully that will sustain itself in the regular season as it was very rare to see the Knicks get easy transition buckets, at least based on what I've seen in prior seasons.
2674477, RE: When they did rebound in the first half
Posted by Castro, Wed Oct-03-18 09:55 AM
I can see Fitz running with Kanter and either Vonleh or Mitch, and that gives you two bigs to crash the boards and then Knox, Trier, Hardaway, Frank or Mudiay/Burke out running....will give them the ability to push. Its a good start. They will at least be fun to watch this season.
2674594, I wonder how long Fitz waits before Trier takes Hardaway's minutes.
Posted by Castro, Wed Oct-03-18 11:41 PM
Young man got a greasy game.
2674595, Can't believe he wasn't drafted.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Oct-04-18 01:31 AM
I thought he'd go early second. His game has some flaws, but dude is a dog.
2674599, During last night's broadcast
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Oct-04-18 07:36 AM
Mike Breen mentioned that he got caught twice for taking PED-like substances and was suspended for a good deal of time in college. That had to raise a few red flags for folks drafting him.

I liked what I saw from him last night, especially the fact he is able to penetrate and drive to the basket rather than just settle for jump shots. I do worry about him going for the path of less resistance and traversing down the PED road if he gets banged up though.
2674597, His game right now is best as a 6th man
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Thu Oct-04-18 06:20 AM
He can get buckets and be a ball hog. He’s been known to do that since college. As a starter his unwillingness to pass + his ballhogging + poor shot selection as a rookie will be maddening
2674600, Yeah, he doesn't need to be a starter. But neither does Hardaway.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Thu Oct-04-18 08:00 AM
It's a tough spot for Fiz.

Hopefully by the new year, both Trier and Frankie are getting a majority of the backcourt mins.
2674601, I didn't watch the second halves
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Oct-04-18 08:17 AM
for either the Nets or Wizards games, but I've read that Damyean Dotson did some productive things on the court in terms of closing out the games. I read he hit some clutch shots and was able to create offense for himself. I didn't watch the games myself, so I have no clue how good of a defender he is.

Should be interesting to see how Fizdale manages the minutes at shooting guard. Of the bunch, I have the least faith in Hardaway, especially given how terrible his contract is.
2674987, Dotson always seems to get numbers, but is not moving
Posted by Castro, Mon Oct-08-18 10:53 AM
into the regular rotation...something is not clicking for him because his status hasn't changed in two seasons.
2676691, I'm liking what I'm seeing from Dotson
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Oct-23-18 02:24 PM
in the last two games. It's going to be near impossible for him to get minutes once Knox and Courtney Lee get healthy again, which is a shame. Dude has good speed and a decent outside shot.
2674988, Hardaway is so damn inconsistent, and he has the tools.
Posted by Castro, Mon Oct-08-18 10:54 AM
He is like a really poor man's Spree.
2676689, not until hes better than Timmy i would guess
Posted by cgonz00cc, Tue Oct-23-18 02:18 PM
2675776, So I'm reading news on twitter
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Oct-16-18 12:42 PM
that Fizdale decided to go with Burke as the starting point guard, Frank FrenchLastName as the starting small forward, and Knox is coming off the bench.

I have to think the fans will be quite displeased. For many a reason. While Knox did disappoint me a ton in the pre-season games, he has to game some tick so that he'll develop as a player.

And just when I thought the news of Joakim Noah would be some sort of positivity.

Meh.
2676013, It was Atlanta, so I am tempering my joy here
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Oct-18-18 07:47 AM
But I liked what I saw from Frank Ntilikina last night the most out of all the players last night. Defensively he looked solid in terms of playing good team defense, but more importantly, he didn't look timid on the offensive end. He looked like the best of the point guards out there. I still don't know if he's capable to lead the offensive load on his own, but I loved the fact he was able to penetrate and break down the perimeter defense, which will help him to dish off to other players.

I suppose I missed this during the broadcast last night, but was there any definitive news on Mitchell Robinson? I didn't even see if he stepped/landed on someone else's foot to lead to him getting pulled. I hope this injury isn't a serious one because it's going to be key for him to get solid playing time.
2676679, It's way to early to complain
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Oct-23-18 12:40 PM
but I'm going to complain.

Anyone else annoyed with the constant post-ups featuring Kanter? This is not dude's strong suit at all as he's not a great one-on-one scorer, nor is he adept at passing during the odd chances he gets double teamed. Hopefully Fizdale will curtail running that in the future and instead uses the smaller players to generate offense from the wing.

Time will tell.

Fizdale has been an improvement over the past 3 to 10 coaches the Knicks had in the past, so no way am I saying he should bounce.
2676700, RE: It's way to early to complain
Posted by Castro, Tue Oct-23-18 03:18 PM
When Kanter gets the ball, he stays active on the boards, and his activity creates additional possessions for the Knicks.
2678321, I like this squad. They are buying into what Fiz is teaching them.
Posted by Castro, Thu Nov-08-18 08:58 PM
Playoffs would be nice, but I am concerned with their growth as a team, and to owning up to being a Knick.

Dotson has worked his way into the rotation and is doing well.

Vonleh!!!!! Loving his motor, and he is showing range too!

Mitch Robinson...active just like in summer league and gaining confidence. He is still going to be bodied by bigger players as he grows into his grown man body, but he is going to be a force.

Iso Zo.....loving him.

Mudiay....he is surprising me, because he is really taking to this system where he hasn't done jack with any other squad.

French Frank- gaining confidence in his shot and he is playing at a quicker pace....between Zo, Mudiay and him, we could have a solid rotation of big guards for the next several years.

Knox - coming back slowly, I expect to see dividends from him later this year.

Hardaway- he is delivering big games....on occasion.

Kanter- my dude. He scraps and throws his body around and sets the tone on the boards for us.

Burke- he has been solid, but I don't see him being more than a spot rotation player.

Coach Fiz- everything we wanted from everyone else in the last 20 years. Just hoping he and the brothers in the front office can keep the squad and the personnel matters out of the reach of old drunk ass trust fund Blues man.

What say you?

2678412, Because I'm limited on time
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Nov-09-18 04:44 PM
I won't get into a big breakdown, but I really like the bench this year, but I don't like the starters. I like what I've seen from Mudiay, but it been a short sample of games, so I won't get too excited yet. I'm close to giving up all hope of Frank FrenchLastName; he needs to focus more on penetrating and breaking dudes down on the perimeter so he can get teammates open and become an offensive threat. I do not like what little I've seen from Knox, but the season is very young and he's coming back from that injury, so I can't get too upset.

Also, I still don't like it when Fizdale tries to use Kanter as a low post player as he's better used as a cleam up guy to get put backs from missed shots. He's not fluid/quick enough to create shots on his own.
2678414, I cant watch em cause i want them to lose every game by 2.
Posted by Cenario, Fri Nov-09-18 04:46 PM
2679683, It's not a good look
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Nov-21-18 09:59 PM
that I'm mildly upset the Knicks just beat Boston. Terrible loss for Boston, but an even more terrible win for the Knicks.

What can you do?

I will say that I am disappointed on an olverall level that the Knicks are such a terrible defensive team given that was supposed to be Fizdale's calling card as a coach. Suppose I'll have to see if that will improve over the season.
2679745, Fizdale is trying so hard not to play Burke
Posted by cgonz00cc, Fri Nov-23-18 03:07 PM
and i dont understand why

there is such a big dropoff in productivity after Burke/Hardaway/Kanter that rationing their minutes is counterproductive, regardless of how bad Kanter and Burke are on defense.

its not possible for anyone to defend well enough to make up for how useless Nkilitina is on offense, and Trier/Dotson have no idea how to make plays for others. at least Dotson rebounds, but still.
2679756, The whole league looks like Doug Moe is coaching and you
Posted by Castro, Sat Nov-24-18 01:47 AM
expect a team with this amount of rookies to look like the prime Pop Spurs defensively? Let alone a team with Kanter, Burke and such in the regular rotation. Two BIG ASS wins in a row. Love what I see from Vonleh, Mudiay, from Trier, from Kanter and Tim Jr's inconsistent ass. French Frank prolly gonna end up being the odd man out, but I feel we should stick with him...the injury to Knox probably was a blessing in disguise because even healthy, he would have struggled early...now he can hang that on the ankle injury and just keep building. Mitch needs to bulk up but he is progressing as well.

We play hard, and the defense will come along as the chemistry gets better. TRUST THE FIZ.
2679758, there is also that
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sat Nov-24-18 05:31 AM
who cares about trying to make this roster good at defense?

Let Burke play 36 mpg and see how many points you can score.
2679762, We shut down Moore. Holiday had to take 25 shots to get 22.
Posted by Castro, Sat Nov-24-18 09:21 AM
In today's NBA that is a good defense.
2679763, Lol true
Posted by Cenario, Sat Nov-24-18 09:41 AM
2679880, Still waiting to see the value in Hezonja....
Posted by Castro, Sun Nov-25-18 07:28 PM
2679891, Props to Kanter...got Fiz the win over his old team
Posted by Castro, Sun Nov-25-18 09:43 PM
2679953, RE: You Keep What You Kill-The 2018/2019 New York Knicks season post
Posted by Castro, Mon Nov-26-18 11:25 AM
I think we found our starting point guard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENQKAw6B120
2681884, THE BOY GOT HIS OWN MONEY!
Posted by Castro, Fri Dec-14-18 10:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMmlyZJNEpc
2681897, lol smh
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sat Dec-15-18 08:57 AM
Burke goes for 30 and 11 in win over BOS and its crickets (plus he immediately gets his minutes jerked)

he gets injured and yall subsequently have your first 5 game losing streak and its crickets

now Emmanuel Mudiay has the biggest outlier game of his whole career and its time for a parade

tough crowd lmao
2681911, Burke hasn't played since Dec. 1st. So stop.
Posted by Castro, Sat Dec-15-18 05:30 PM
Secondly, Mudiay is closest to what they wanted Ntilikina to become- a big guard who can run the offense, distribute, score and be an active defender.

Burke should be our Vinnie Johnson. Come in, score, get out on the break, and keep the other teams second unit on their heels. Then he won't have the same pressure to be a lockdown defender and can play to his strengths.
2681913, You talking about outlier games yet championing Trey Burke
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Sat Dec-15-18 08:43 PM
Let that sink in for a minute.
2681928, Mudiay generally makes Burke look like Mitch Richmond tho
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sun Dec-16-18 12:59 AM
in this particular comparison, it holds up