Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectEhhh...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2665080&mesg_id=2667687
2667687, Ehhh...
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jul-09-18 04:43 PM
>-Gordon added a 3pt shot last year and should improve this
>season from there (up from 28% to 33.6% and doubled his
>attempts).

He was hot in 2017 but look at his splits, especially as the season went on. He regressed like a motherfucker. And his FT shooting really didn't improve at all, so it's not like he's adjusting that stroke. http://www.espn.com/nba/player/splits/_/id/3064290/aaron-gordon

>-Isaacs J has look wet (at least from mid range) in SL so I'm
>cysing (for now) (he also shot ~35% from 3 in his limited time
>last season)

He can shoot well enough, you just have to believe that he is *that guy,* and he's low motor, low strength, and all potential. I'd believe maybe he could be the third option/stretch shooter vibe... but I need to see a *lot* more to believe he's a difference maker. The potential is there... but again, it always is with the Magic.

>-And Bamba has 3pt range that should get better as he gets
>stronger/develops.

He shot 27% from 3 and 68% from the FT line last year. I'm... not holding my breath for him to be a DeMarcus Cousins style guy who can step out at will. I watched a *lot* of Bamba in college. My thoughts from the Justivity post:

"Despite his size, he got bullied by college bigs-- not even the biggest and strongest ones either-- because he's so thin and lanky. He's also not a very physical player at this point in general-- doesn't set hard screens, would rather watch the ball than box out, etc. He's also a guy who settles for jumpers on offense for the same reason-- and he doesn't pass well either. So, y'know, that's all scary if you're trying to take him Top 5... Get him to 250-260 lbs, teach him to bang inside a bit, and you have a quick-on-his-feet big with a 9'6 standing reach that could hit 33% from 3. That's an absurd combo of things. That's All-Star material. But if he struggles with the weight and/or his shot, he could easily just become a taller John Henson. He'll stick around the league because he's an elite shot blocker who can run the floor well and who's long enough to snag enough boards to make playing him just worthwhile enough... he should be targeted exclusively by a team in hardcore multi-year tank mode, who can afford to bring him along insanely slowly... If a team expects 22+ minutes from him next year, I think they'll be really disappointed. And he's got to go somewhere that actually develops players well, because while Bamba's a smart dude, he has a lot of game to learn."

>They still need more shooting but those 3 are definitely the
>cogs for a defensive powerhouse.

Yeah, I said the same about Elfrid Payton, Victor Oladipo, and Aaron Gordon too, and they were still bottom half of the league in defense, including along the perimeter. It's hard to see Gordon and two Gumbys and fully believe. Again, I get the potential, I love me some wingspan and what not... but yeah, I've made this mistake too many times with young teams that have good potential. I've got to see a future star on the roster, minimum-- and I'm not yet ready to see Gordon as the leader of an actually good team. Maybe if he can shoot 36+% 3PT and 75+% FT. (He's also *never* really been good defensively, which just fucking baffles me personally.)