Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectTB moves in front in Karlsson sweepstakes. Montreal in peril
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2664723&mesg_id=2667445
2667445, TB moves in front in Karlsson sweepstakes. Montreal in peril
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Jul-06-18 05:37 PM
Looks like Tampa has moved in front in the Karlsson talks. From what I can infer they will need a third team. Basically Ottawa is looking for promising players still under team control (heading toward RFA) so will be fairly low salaries and probably not Gourde who, despite not having much NHL experience, is a bit older player. Sergachev in motion again?

If that is the case, and it sounds like it is, then Tampa will need to get a third team involved. They only have about $3M in cap room, Karlsson's current hit is $6.5M and it will jump to $10M+ next year presumably, when Gourde, Point and Kucherov are all up for new deals and they will probably have to get real cheap on defense behind their big three of Hedman, McDonagh and Karlsson. That likely means dumping Ryan Callahan's contract. He is a solid player but very expensive for the rule they use him in, and he's under contract through 2020 so if they don't move him now they will have to under duress next year.

So expect a deal with young players headed toward RFA and futures to Ottawa, Karlsson to Tampa and then Tampa most of the aforementioned package for Ottawa as well as some asset to get a team to take Callahan. Oddly I think the Rangers and Canadiens may be in the best position to take Callahan's salary as he could be useful for them, both would love to add futures and both have plenty of cap space. Montreal has over $12M in space still and could have more to start the season with Weber needing surgery on his meniscus (will be out about six months ... can someone explain the rationale behind the Subban to me again?).

Montreal continues to have issues finding a good package for Pacioretty. Lots of teams are interested but they recognize that with just one year on his deal, the clock is already ticking for Montreal to make a move. It isn't a situation like Colorado with Duchene where there was not much urgency, they need to find a suitor soon or risk trading him as a rental at the deadline. I think that's a particularly bad move because of the way he played as the season progressed last year. If he checks out completely, that'll only lower his value. There's also some rumblings about the return of Andrei Markov, though Bergevin has slammed the door in his face a couple of times already. I doubt it will happen.