Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectKovalchuk to Kings, Flames-Canes make a fairly big trade
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2664723&mesg_id=2664783
2664783, Kovalchuk to Kings, Flames-Canes make a fairly big trade
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Jun-23-18 01:36 PM
I wasn't expecting much trade activity at the draft but perhaps a little more than this.

Hamilton+Fox+Ferland for Hanifin+Lindholm

To me this seems like one of those "shake it up" deals where the pieces are pretty even on paper, kind of like the Buffalo-Winnipeg deal a few years back.

Kovalchuk to the Kings, three years 18.75M. A lot of people complaining about the deal but they had no reasonable expectation of value here. Tons of teams make Kovy an offer. Three years I'd say was the shortest term that would get it done. $6.25M is a pretty big cap hit but with competition I don't think it was going anywhere under $5.5M. Kovy was very close to signing in LA when he inked his deal with the Devils. LA and Boston were the biggest suitors among many it seems. Obviously the downside is that this guy has not always been the most engaged player and he is much older now than the last time we saw in the NHL. The upside is that the Kings offense and power play were both extremely inconsistent and even at 75% of what he was, he would help both immensely. The cap hit is worth it because they didn't have to sacrifice any assets to get him, but now let's see if he can still play.