Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThat's where I am... with one caveat.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2663798&mesg_id=2665469
2665469, That's where I am... with one caveat.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jun-28-18 11:50 AM
Get PG, and tell Bron that they're getting Kawhi next year-- and if for whatever reason, Kawhi backs out of wanting to be in LA, then fuck it, someone else-- Lakers will *always* be a draw.

A roster of (assuming Randle gets more money elsewhere) Ball, Ingram, Bron, PG, Zubac, Kuzma, Hart, Wagner, with room to get some one-year vet deals, theoretically more first-round picks in the future (albeit low ones, but they've done well there) and saving space to get Kawhi the following year? I mean, that's a very nice setup for Bron's golden years imo.

Whereas if you have to deal a ton of assets and picks to get Kawhi, and instead you go forward with Ball/PG/Bron/Kawhi and whichever one-year vet deals... it's obviously an upgrade for Bron, but the last year in Cleveland should've taught Bron that depth of talent is *really* important. Also, Ingram will have just turned 21, has multiple years left on a rookie deal, Kuzma has multiple years left on a rookie deal, Ball, Wagner... I think Ingram is *easily* good enough today to be the third best player on a title contender.

The caveat, of course, is that nothing is guaranteed in this league, so say Bron or PG blows out a knee, or say Kawhi likes wherever else he gets traded, or whatever else could happen that would fuck up the best-laid plans... I understand the people who want to make moves *now.* It just feels like they'd have to pay a steep, steep price, and they could very easily be left with a three-stud, no-depth scenario in a difficult West.

I think the team *without* adding Kawhi next year, assuming they got PG and Bron and lost nobody major, is still good enough for a Top 3 seed in the West, and I'm not sure with Kawhi but losing their entire depth that projection changes *too* much (maybe up to Top 2 seed?). Maybe they don't make the Finals next year without Kawhi... but you may not make them with him either, *and* you put Bron in a long-term good situation, with lots of supporting help and young talent around him, with the money to add another piece either this season or next, if he really wants Kawhi to round out that Big 3.