Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThe lack of context in a poll like that is problematic
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2663798&mesg_id=2663933
2663933, The lack of context in a poll like that is problematic
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Jun-19-18 02:35 PM
>There was a poll posted by Arash Markazi and over 60 percent
>of respondents DID NOT want to sign LeBron James. No hedging
>or qualifiers or context, just yes or no should they sign
>him.
>
>It's nice to know that delusions are alive and well.

Not sure how delusion is the reason, without context.

>Of the group they have, I like Ingram a lot and think he can
>be a true centerpiece. The other guys are more in the "solid
>piece" category but solid pieces are so expensive now that you
>almost have to pass on that hoping for a bigger star.

All of this. I'm also a proponent of balance, and I think these are pieces that do, and will continue to, fit well together. And I think they all make a significant step forward this year, Hart included.

>least pick the one you think will pan out better and move the
>other. Of course if they do pursue the youth movement, they
>have a couple years to make decisions in Ball and Kuzma.

This. Part of my issue is that we are selling low right now. Giving them another year does one of two things:

-The core pieces improve and, consequently, the team improves. I think this is a given, but I also think there's a good chance that we take a leap into the playoffs this year. If that's the case, it's even more reason to stay the course.

-The core pieces improve, and, consequently, so does their trade value. If Kuz winds up dropping 20/7/4 w/40% from three, he's a guy who could net a more developed player in his prime without having to give up BI and/or Zo in the process, or be used in a S&T.

But again, if those sorts of results occur, it only makes sense to stay the course, because we'd be very attractive to a guy like, say, Klay next year.

>Still, with no pick this year, it will be a verrrrry tough
>sell to head into next year with a very similar roster.

I don't think so. I think there's plenty of reason to be excited about this team this season if there are no changes at all. I know I am.

>One thing we don't know is if all the guys in the FA market
>are going to team up or there will be some one-off type
>signings to be made. Bringing in LeBron means going into
>win-now mode

Honestly, that's my issue. I'd love to add PG or a similar player, but maintaining an eye toward the future. I don't think it's wise to jump into win now mode right this minute. I think next year is the time to add, and not with subtraction, and I think we'd be better positioned for long term success this way.

Yes, the idea of Brawn & Friends is titillating, but I'm dubious about the outcome and I'd rather gamble on this group of kids. I'm 100% in on them going forward.

but let's say he goes to a more established team
>(Boston, Philly, Milwaukee, whatever). Now they'd have a shot
>at adding George or Cousins without really disrupting their
>young core. So the possibilities are many, but I don't think
>simply staying the course is realistic.

I think it's very realistic, and I think enough of the fan base are in love enough with this team to go forward with what we have.

The more I think about it, I'd rather take a flyer on adding Cuz and a shooter, and keeping the kids.