Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectBattered Woman Syndrome: Elissa exhibited some of the traits...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2657342&mesg_id=2681178
2681178, Battered Woman Syndrome: Elissa exhibited some of the traits...
Posted by Creole, Fri Dec-07-18 10:16 AM
It seems very plausible that she would have lied to keep him out of trouble. I don't think it makes her a terrible person at all. I don't think Reuben is a terrible person either. Dude may be, as many of us are, flawed and in need of some serious help but I can't agree that he's terrible.

I'm no lawyer but I learned about BWS in a high school law class that i took. I was assigned the role of the defense attorney who had to defend a woman who killed her husband after years of abuse. My defense was to be based on this syndrome.

In the end, I'm hopeful that the two of them receive the help and treatment they need to help keep them out of situations like this in the future.

https://www.healthline.com/health/battered-woman-syndrome#how-it-develops

How does it develop?
Battered woman syndrome is caused by sustained and serious domestic abuse.

Domestic abuse typically follows an extremely predictable cycle, as follows:

The abuser will win over the new partner, often moving quickly into a relationship with tactics like “love-bombing,” grand romantic gestures, and pressuring for commitment early.
The abuser will be emotionally or physically abusive. This often starts small, like a slap instead of a punch, or punching the wall next to their partner.
The abuser will feel guilty, swearing they’ll never do it again, and be overtly romantic to win their partner over.
There will be a temporary “honeymoon” period, where the abuser is on their best behavior, luring their partner into thinking that they’re safe and things really will be different.
Abuse occurs, starting the cycle all over again.
Women become trapped in abusive relationships for many reasons, which can include:

financial dependence on the abuser, which is often manufactured by the abuser
wanting to have a complete family unit for their children’s sake
being afraid to leave
disbelief or denial that the partner is actually abusive
severe depression or low self-esteem that makes them think the abuse is their fault
believing that if the abuser loves them, it’s okay, and they can change the behavior
As a woman becomes trapped in the cycle of abuse, battered woman syndrome can develop. This syndrome makes it difficult for women to regain control.

Short-term and long-term side effects
Several serious side effects are associated with battered woman syndrome.

Short-term side effects that may be seen immediately include:

depression
lowered self-esteem
damaged relationships with friends and family
severe anxiety
feeling worthless or hopeless
feeling like they have no control
Research has shown that battered woman syndrome and domestic abuse can result in long-term health consequences that can last for decades. Long-term effects can include:

PTSD-like symptoms, including flashbacks, dissociative states, and violent outbursts against the abuser
health issues caused by stress, such as high blood pressure and associated cardiac problems
health issues from the physical abuse, such as damaged joints or arthritis
chronic back pain or headaches
increased risk of developing diabetes, asthma, depression, and immune dysfunction due to long-term stress