Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: those same owners love them some Muhammad Ali tho..
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2652706&mesg_id=2652761
2652761, RE: those same owners love them some Muhammad Ali tho..
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Wed Apr-25-18 02:05 PM
What else could possibly happen though? I guess my expectations for people, on a whole, are much lower.

However sad it may be, the fact that they feel the need to -publicly, at least- do anything other than defend "law and order" is actually progress!

It can be sad. But it is still change from things were like before.

Most people do not care enough to suffer financial or emotional hardship about any problem that does not affect them. Getting people to that place is pretty much the hardest thing in the world.

If the NFL were suddenly to declare itself in total support of BLM and denounce all manner of police and state violence in unequivocal terms it would place them well to the left of the general American public, at the very moment when the majority is moving to the right, if anything. Which would be financially disastrous. You don't get to be rich enough to own an NFL team without putting economic prudence ahead of idealism, and pretty much anything else.

There is a word for people who act ethically without regard to their bottom line in this country. It's "brave"

I don't look around corporate boardrooms and expect to see a coterie of brave Americans. Quite the opposite.