Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI was there too, what a day
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2650181&mesg_id=2662998
2662998, I was there too, what a day
Posted by Tiger Woods, Wed Jun-13-18 12:22 PM
My insta is "tcjeffries" if you want to see my pics from yesterday send me a request

We were right on the corner of 7th street and Madison just before the buses pulled into the rally area, then we high tailed over to the Mall to catch what we could of the rally. We ended up super far for the rally but we had been really close for the parade thankfully.

After Ovi of course, TJ Oshie may be my favorite Capital ever. Talk about a guy who just totally gets life.

This team is just so inspiring - diverse in makeup, relentless in approach. When you consider how disengaged the Skins and Wizards are and contrast that with these guys slamming beers throughout their parade and diving in fountains in Georgetown, it makes them all the more endearing.

I think most would consider hockey to be a "white" sport. That wasn't the case at yesterday's parade, and I think that's reflective of the city's makeup. The crowd looked as eclectic as the town itself - black, white, brown, yellow ... young and old...couples and families...all ROCKING THE RED. It's a stirring thing to look at crowds of this size all smiling and chanting in unison, at a time when seemingly none of us can agree on anything else. Seeing the black family sitting in front of me stand up and scream in unison when DSP was announced made me feel just so good.

Think about the scene - A Russian caveman, drinking American beer, screaming to a sea of humanity as enthusiastic and eclectic as you'll find anywhere. Again, I'm 31 and I've lived here my whole life. I can say without question this is the proudest I've ever been of one of my teams. I used to pass off the excruciating Skins, Nats, and Caps losses as "just sports"...but when it goes your way, it's not just sports man. Leonsis isn't the most dynamic speaker, but he nailed one thing in his words yesterday - "We put the unity in community".

When Ovi screamed "WE NOT GON BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR" I nearly cried. What a ride.