Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectCrappy race for Petronas, but Hamilton gets his 5th chip
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2647897&mesg_id=2677090
2677090, Crappy race for Petronas, but Hamilton gets his 5th chip
Posted by spenzalii, Mon Oct-29-18 10:24 AM
It was pretty much a foregone conclusion 3 races back and should have been wrapped up last week. Still, having this wrapped up in Mexico much like last year before the season is over is a great thing (and I suppose quicker than last year, since there was an extra race this season). Lewis is now in rare air with 5 driver's championships, equal to Fangio and only bettered by Shumacher. You have to figure he's got a legit chance to top Michael's record as well. Putting in that drive with the death of his grandad weighing on him just days before definitely dampened his outlook a bit and may have played a factor in his drive (though it seemed neither Lewis or Valtteri were happy with their setups). Still, he outdrove the field throughout the season, overcame early mistakes and bad strategy, and won. Call him a legend.

Tip of the hat to Vettel too. While he had to be burning at losing the championship, his PR chops were on display in cutting short his interview to congratulate Lewis and following up by walking through the Petronas paddock area to give his congrats to Wolfe and the rest of the team. Good to see him handle the loss with some dignity, at least in public.

Good race for Max, I suppose? The track is one that really suits RB more than any other team and Max reminded everyone how fast he can be on the right day. Someday he's going to get a 'chip. Before Hamilton gets to 7? Honda would need some mighty impressive development progress. We'll have to see how next year shakes out.

Now I'm only watching for two things. First, Petronas needs to lock up the constructors. Second, can we get Bottas a pity win this season?