Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectAtlanta United really has me caring about soccer.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2647873&mesg_id=2649333
2649333, Atlanta United really has me caring about soccer.
Posted by Doc Catalyst, Wed Apr-04-18 09:42 PM
More than the Hawks (dat tank). Almost as much as the Braves. Years ago that would be an insane thing for me to say.

I saw how many people loved soccer more due to being in South Korea during the World Cup there in 2002 but still wasn't my thing. I kinda kept tabs on the EPL here and there ("is that Henry dude good? Oh it's pronounced THAT way") but it was kinda hard for me to get invested in a team from a place I'd never been to and having to get up early every weekend. I've gotten hype during USMNT matches during the World Cup but that was a lot of the whole patriotism that sweeps everybody during that time.

Then came Atlanta United and now I'm playing Football Manager (best way to understand MLS rule structure with GAM, TAM, different drafts, etc.), yelling at my TV whenever Leandro González Pírez commits another dumb ass decision, and was using Twitter's translate function on transfer rumor tweets to see who AUFC could get in the next transfer window (#BarcoWatch was fun).

Having something close to home I can cheer on with (and eventually frustrate me in the playoffs) the Falcons, Braves, and Hawks really upped the investment factor in the sport for me. I'll still watch the big Champions League matches and I'm under no impression that MLS is anything near the level of the big leagues but I think I finally "get" soccer (on the club level anyway) now because Atlanta United is here.