Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectDear OKS, You're welcome. The 2018 MLS Post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2647873
2647873, Dear OKS, You're welcome. The 2018 MLS Post
Posted by Sleepy, Fri Mar-23-18 09:24 AM
I guess that now Zlatan has signed, the LA Galaxy may finally have a buzz around them. Not bad business to get him on a free transfer at less than DP money. Unfortunately only teams in the glamour locales can get away with this.
2647880, do they have any one to get him service?
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Mar-23-18 10:13 AM
2647890, Sebastian Lletget?
Posted by jrocc, Fri Mar-23-18 12:13 PM
gonna say he's probably the guy off the top of my head. can't really think of anyone else on their squad who could fill that role of reliable service guy.
2648526, Gio Dos Santos (*snicker*) + Allessandrini is actually really good
Posted by celery77, Thu Mar-29-18 05:57 PM
The question is going to be if they're able to get the ball out of the back / through the midfield for any of that to make a difference. I'm no convinced Zlatan, post-injury, will be a slam dunk on a relative island in this league any more, but let me be clear -- Zlatan dominating via intelligence against the average backline and elite technique won't shock me, either. Just not quite the sure thing that some of these mid to late 20s signings (shout out to Carlos Vela) have been.
2647883, Is that Greg Van der Wiel guy Toronto signed good?
Posted by Heinz, Fri Mar-23-18 11:01 AM
I don't know soccer like that lol but the city is excited about it

----------

IG @h_n_z
2647884, he was a big flop in europe
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Mar-23-18 11:27 AM
i remember he was very hyped at one point. he might be good in MLS though.
2647918, lolol so that's what VDW is up to these days
Posted by benny, Fri Mar-23-18 03:40 PM

2647891, well he's a defender
Posted by jrocc, Fri Mar-23-18 12:20 PM
so he's not going to be called on to score goals on a regular basis or anything like that. he's considered a decent addition to an already good team. he's not going to be expected to be the star player so without all that pressure he can probably just play his game and do well. Toronto swept all the major domestic trophies last year (Canadian Championship, Supporters Shield, MLS Cup) so they're pretty stacked already. I don't think they paid a lot for him so it's a pretty good player on a decent deal.
2647888, oh NOW ya'll wanna be down? LOL
Posted by jrocc, Fri Mar-23-18 12:09 PM
nah but for real, the Zlatan deal is a good look for the Galaxy. they were in danger of being upstaged by LAFC. if The Zlatan can stay healthy it could be really good. he can definitely put some butts in the seats around the league. I think it also says a lot about MLS that this is not more of a big deal. the recent influx of young talent into the league has been nothing short of impressive.

back to my Red Bulls though ... we doing big things in CONCACAF Champions League. we knocked off Tijuana pretty convincingly and i'm excited to see how far we can go. Chivas is up next and it should be fun.

also shoutout to Toronto FC who's playing well in CCL too. that free kick goal by Giovinco against Tigres was a monster.
2647909, MLS has a chance in this CCL.
Posted by Sleepy, Fri Mar-23-18 02:28 PM
That would be really nice for a change.
2648529, all hail mighty, mighty TAM
Posted by celery77, Thu Mar-29-18 06:05 PM
the middle of the rosters have come a long, long way in a short amount of time.
2648530, imagining fat-ass Sigi Schmid telling Zlatan to run more...
Posted by celery77, Thu Mar-29-18 06:16 PM
is the funniest thing in the world to me.

I'm down, that's the image I call to mind -- whale Sigi, gut blocking out any sunlight below the waistline, a man who plainly hasn't touched a treadmill since treadmills were invented, whose playing pedigree is top flight college soccer, at GK no less (if I'm not mistaken), yelling "GODDAMMIT ZLATAN, SHOW SOME HUSTLE!"

Nice, big bright smile...
2648647, yo
Posted by celery77, Sat Mar-31-18 03:42 PM
I told you Carlos Vela was good ;-)
2648649, one of the wildest regular season games you'll ever see in MLS
Posted by celery77, Sat Mar-31-18 03:58 PM
hopefully we'll never find out how many virgins Fox execs sacrificed to their pagan gods to produce March mid-day television like that. Don Garber must feel like he's getting laid on prom night for the first time all over again.
2648650, + the game-winner was totes offsides, but such is the power of Zlatan
Posted by celery77, Sat Mar-31-18 04:01 PM
2648728, not that i was doubting Ibra, but my goodness
Posted by jrocc, Sun Apr-01-18 12:19 PM
that as impressive.

https://youtu.be/J15vfXqnwWw
2648752, Speechless...
Posted by Sleepy, Sun Apr-01-18 11:08 PM
Like...that first goal is magnificent.

You couldn't have scripted it better.
2649192, Toronto FC 3 - 1 Club América (CCL semis first leg)
Posted by jrocc, Wed Apr-04-18 10:10 AM
highlights: https://youtu.be/q9aZwk9ZbNA

2649212, The Black Soccer Culture No One Knew Existed (video)
Posted by jrocc, Wed Apr-04-18 11:20 AM
https://youtu.be/cuAytnDGKMQ

2649333, Atlanta United really has me caring about soccer.
Posted by Doc Catalyst, Wed Apr-04-18 09:42 PM
More than the Hawks (dat tank). Almost as much as the Braves. Years ago that would be an insane thing for me to say.

I saw how many people loved soccer more due to being in South Korea during the World Cup there in 2002 but still wasn't my thing. I kinda kept tabs on the EPL here and there ("is that Henry dude good? Oh it's pronounced THAT way") but it was kinda hard for me to get invested in a team from a place I'd never been to and having to get up early every weekend. I've gotten hype during USMNT matches during the World Cup but that was a lot of the whole patriotism that sweeps everybody during that time.

Then came Atlanta United and now I'm playing Football Manager (best way to understand MLS rule structure with GAM, TAM, different drafts, etc.), yelling at my TV whenever Leandro González Pírez commits another dumb ass decision, and was using Twitter's translate function on transfer rumor tweets to see who AUFC could get in the next transfer window (#BarcoWatch was fun).

Having something close to home I can cheer on with (and eventually frustrate me in the playoffs) the Falcons, Braves, and Hawks really upped the investment factor in the sport for me. I'll still watch the big Champions League matches and I'm under no impression that MLS is anything near the level of the big leagues but I think I finally "get" soccer (on the club level anyway) now because Atlanta United is here.
2649337, FM is alarmingly addictive
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Apr-04-18 10:28 PM
i played it for a summer in college and i refuse to EVER play it again. one more game turned into refreshing the game during every moment i wasn't out hanging out w/ friends or asleep.

i ended up having to sabotage my in-game career just to quit.
2649338, i played it for a week
Posted by hardware, Wed Apr-04-18 11:34 PM
shit was like heroin

i deleted it and vowed to never play it again.
2649678, yo this is truly what's great about MLS, just having a club of your own
Posted by celery77, Sat Apr-07-18 10:24 AM
I really think the right analogy is that it's like really rooting / caring for a college team, if you ever feel the need to defend it. Nobody is seriously going to say that LSU is as good as the Patriots, but everybody gets that it's perfectly fun for people to love LSU.

And I don't know how Atlanta is, but part of the fun of MLS is that the athletes aren't on this other-worldly level and you can still just enjoy a hard-working middle tier guy because they're living lives not too different from us. During the Timbers off-week, I just randomly ran into Marco Farfan, our homegworn LB, getting lunch at the same wing spot as me. When Tyler Miller became famous for the wrong reasons for Zlatan hosing that ball past him, I had a pang of pain with the excitement because I've actually spent an evening or two playing video games with that guy online.

So yeah, getting the soccer culture kicking off in your area code is a pleasure that you just can't get watching early morning EPL. Aggressive expansion is a tricky road to navigate, but overall I think it's great as more people discover the fun of being able to follow local futbol.
2649339, If ATL had existed in 2006, i'd be all in
Posted by hardware, Wed Apr-04-18 11:35 PM
only reason i'm with Houston is because they were the closest thing to a Southern team

ATL is definitely my EC team tho.
2649346, Chivas 1 - 0 NY Red Bulls (CCL semis 1st leg)
Posted by jrocc, Thu Apr-05-18 07:45 AM
https://youtu.be/O0ppTo1VoEk

we got robbed! very clear handball in the box by Chivas. should have been a penalty kick. all good. next game in RBA next week.
2649352, RE: Chivas 1 - 0 NY Red Bulls (CCL semis 1st leg)
Posted by upUPNorth, Thu Apr-05-18 08:45 AM
That's not a bad start for you guys in Mexico, getting yourself the second home game both times is solid, winning both legs last time was big but obviously harder to do at this stage. Gotta be wary of the away goal.

I'm happy with TFCs result, better than against Tigres and hopefully with that experience in Mexico last time we can handle the second leg just as well. I don't know how much harder playing in that stadium is going to be, I really hope they can't sell out all those seats like it's a world cup game or something.
2649376, RE: Chivas 1 - 0 NY Red Bulls (CCL semis 1st leg)
Posted by jrocc, Thu Apr-05-18 10:25 AM
i'm not mad at the result at all. it's definitely manageable. wish we could have gotten that away goal though.

I don't think Club America packs out the Azteca like the national team does. it's probably the most full when they play Chivas, but otherwise it's probably not even half full. mind you that's still impressive since it's like a 90,000 seat stadium.
2649679, shout out to Andrew Farrell getting his first career goal after 159 gms
Posted by celery77, Sat Apr-07-18 10:28 AM
just randomly put NE v. MTL on the desktop while I was killing some time last night and caught that goal. what's funny is that I didn't know the stat (had the sound off) but you could tell that the guy was reaaaaally excited and almost emotional about getting the 2nd against a 10-man team, every person was coming up to congratulate him and the pile was going on a long time, I could just figure out it was probably his first ever. Love moments like that.
2649716, wow Dynamo-Galaxy sold out, tix going for $80+ on Stubhub
Posted by benny, Sat Apr-07-18 05:46 PM
was thinking about doing my yearly appearance at the BBVA but that's gonna be a hard pass from me lol
2650138, NY Reds Bulls 0 - 0 Chivas (agg 0 - 1)
Posted by jrocc, Tue Apr-10-18 09:35 PM
sooo close for the Red Bulls. not sure i've seen so many balls skim across the face of goal in my life. can't be too mad, we had a good run. reaaally wanted this one though. definitely stings more than the Open Cup loss in the final last year.
2650161, Club America 1 - 1 Toronto FC (agg 2 - 4)
Posted by jrocc, Wed Apr-11-18 06:49 AM
highlights: https://youtu.be/AY2y-xenu9w

shout out to Toronto FC. if they pull this off, i'm not sure it can be topped. i think beating Tigres (best club) and Club America (biggest club) is impressive enough. they'll probably still be considered underdogs for the final but they're playing great right now.
2650360, RE: Club America 1 - 1 Toronto FC (agg 2 - 4)
Posted by upUPNorth, Thu Apr-12-18 08:01 AM
We've been playing pretty well in Mexico, I've been hating the weather up here but I almost want it to stay cold if Chivas don't like that lol.

I was hoping we'd get the second leg, I don't know if the Finals are decided differently, but if it's like the previous rounds that means they consider their 1-0 better than our 4-2, which feels debatable lol.

I don't think Canada's networks aired the Red Bulls game, Chivas managing it in New York worries me slightly if they're more disciplined. It would have been cool for MLS if we kept MX out of the Finals, but I'll enjoy it if we can take all these MX teams in a row. Club World Cup here we come!
2650892, Got dammit
Posted by Doc Catalyst, Mon Apr-16-18 11:50 AM
1 point is better than nothing and NYC is a damn good team but fuck I wanted more than that. Was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Not a great Josef game but you deal with it cause he buries shit other times. Good to see Barco, hopefully he gets use to the fact that other teams are going to be physical as hell towards him. I love Miggy but I wish he was more confident with his other foot shooting.
2651162, Toronto FC 1 - 2 Chivas (CCL Final first leg)
Posted by jrocc, Wed Apr-18-18 06:59 AM
highlights: https://youtu.be/D37CpZEWjDw
2651238, RE: Toronto FC 1 - 2 Chivas (CCL Final first leg)
Posted by upUPNorth, Wed Apr-18-18 01:12 PM
That was disappointing to watch last night. Bono has been amazing for us up to this point, but lets that second goal get over him when it really shouldn't have. I could forgive the slow start if they recovered better. Jozy and Gio didn't seem quite on their game, some chances were there but weren't taken.

And that Chivas team did look like the best team we've come up against to me more than the previous two MX teams. Everyone made a big deal about them being bad in the Closura now but they clearly play solid all around Soccer and are focused on this tournament. It feels like the dynamic changed, TFC may have went in feeling more confident and Chivas probably showed us more respect than the previous teams. That was one of the fairest games I've seen played, one yellow for a time-wasting throw I think, the calls I wish went our way are mostly out of team bias and were probably fair calls, Chivas were there to play soccer and you could sense the respect and lack of BS.

I can only hope our offensive prowess actually benefits from a better field and weather in Mexico next week and we can break them down if they try to park it.
2652946, Chivas 1 - 2 Toronto FC (3 - 3 agg) (4 - 2 pk)
Posted by jrocc, Thu Apr-26-18 06:41 AM
Highlights: https://youtu.be/ww3Iuv8TP-Y
2652951, We came close :(
Posted by upUPNorth, Thu Apr-26-18 07:39 AM
Won in Mexico, but lost the Championship.

I feel like Delgado's always putting stuff over the bar, should've won it. And I can see why America likes to boo Bradley after that pk lol.

I'm proud of them though, hopefully we can come back next year and win it like the MLS Cup. Now our starters have to show our league who's boss.
2669286, 17 yr old Alphonso Davies to FC Bayern Munich for $23M
Posted by jrocc, Thu Jul-26-18 07:16 AM
record MLS transfer fee (Alphonso gets $13M). Alphonso will stay at Vancouver for the rest of the season.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/3573807/bayern-munich-sign-canadian-teen-alphonso-davies-in-mls-record-deal
2669287, all 100 Bradley Wright-Phillips goals for RBNY (video)
Posted by jrocc, Thu Jul-26-18 07:19 AM
https://youtu.be/h3lfrMW7MUU
2670372, I don't know what I think about Bacari Sagna signing for Montreal
Posted by Sleepy, Thu Aug-09-18 06:08 PM
Like, I don't think it's bad, but I don't know how much dude has left in the tank. But him going to a French speaking location isn't a bad deal at all.
2671536, All hail King Josef
Posted by Doc Catalyst, Mon Aug-27-18 06:29 PM
The Atlanta Sports Fan Dread will come around playoff time but it's been great to see a season like this up close.

Need the New York clubs to stumble a bit for more breathing room that should already be there if not for dropping points at home this season.
2671611, Peace Deuce
Posted by Sleepy, Wed Aug-29-18 02:11 PM
Thanks for the memories. You'll truly be missed.
2671614, american GOAT
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Aug-29-18 02:15 PM
2671662, yup
Posted by smutsboy, Thu Aug-30-18 02:38 PM
2671642, need more like him
Posted by jrocc, Thu Aug-30-18 11:00 AM
the combination of talent and swagger that he brought to the game is unmatched. great career.
2671657, end of an era
Posted by hardware, Thu Aug-30-18 01:48 PM
2677139, 2018 MLS Champions New York Red Bulls!!!
Posted by jrocc, Mon Oct-29-18 01:12 PM
at least that's what i'm calling it. MLS Supporter's Shield Winners always sounded strange to me, but i digress.

most points in league history - 71
first team to crack 70 points
most wins in a season - 22 (not counting shootout era)
most points at home in league history - 44

fantastic regular season!!! on to to playoffs.
2677164, Unbelievably pissed with ATLUTD
Posted by Doc Catalyst, Mon Oct-29-18 03:09 PM
The biggest games of the season have been some of the most flattest, lethargic performances this season. Just horrid defending for a team looking to win a trophy. Guess this goes in the Atlanta Sports Bin.

*sigh*

Congrats to RBNY. They were better head to head and stepped up when necessary.

Onward to the playoffs. Hopefully Tata has had enough of McCann starting (doubt it though).

2681290, Much better performance in the playoffs to say the least
Posted by Doc Catalyst, Sat Dec-08-18 11:19 PM
Please build a Josef Martinez statue.

Maybe losing the Supporters Shield was the shock they needed. Escobar was HUGE this postseason. Really going to miss Miggy and his workrate. Hope they pick a good successor to Tata.

Don't know how to feel. I basically started laughing like the Joker when the Game ended. This whole championship thing is new.
2681428, Glad for Brad
Posted by magilla vanilla, Mon Dec-10-18 08:54 AM
That dude got a raw deal his last year at Villa, so I'm glad to see him succeed, even if it is over my favorite two MLS sides in succession.