Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectTy Lue stepping away from the Cavs for now
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2647435
2647435, Ty Lue stepping away from the Cavs for now
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Mar-19-18 10:02 AM
Lebron...er Larry Drew is the coach now
https://twitter.com/mcten/status/975747054726275072?s=19
2647436, Statement from Tyronn Lue and GM Koby Altman:
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Mar-19-18 10:03 AM

From Tyronn Lue:

"After many conversations with our doctors and Koby and much thought given to what is best for the team and my health, I need to step back from coaching for the time being and focus on trying to establish a stronger and healthier foundation from which to coach for the rest of the season.

I have had chest pains and other troubling symptoms, compounded by a loss of sleep, throughout the year. Despite a battery of tests, there have been no conclusions as to what the exact issue is.

While I have tried to work through it, the last thing I want is for it to affect the team. I am going to use this time to focus on a prescribed routine and medication, which has previously been difficult to start in the midst of a season. My goal is to come out of it a stronger and healthier version of myself so I can continue to lead this team to the Championship we are all working towards.

I greatly appreciate Dan Gilbert, Koby Altman, our medical team and the organization's support throughout."

From Koby Altman:

“We know how difficult these circumstances are for Coach Lue and we support him totally in this focused approach to addressing his health issues.”
2647438, I really hope he’s just fatigued
Posted by Tiger Woods, Mon Mar-19-18 10:06 AM
This is a grind man.

If Lue and Kerr can’t hold up, how has Stan Van Grundy not just croaked on the sideline?
2647439, me too, I know this is the jokey-joke time...
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Mar-19-18 10:22 AM
but a relatively young man experiencing extended periods of chest pain and not sleeping is no joke...especially the way men have been dropping in their 40's and shit, of late.
2647441, right
Posted by Cenario, Mon Mar-19-18 10:23 AM
2647445, yeah man barely middle aged brothas dying of 'natural causes'.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Mar-19-18 10:37 AM
shit is crazy.
2647447, I'm sayin...Craig Mack died at 46, wtf...
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Mar-19-18 10:41 AM
that Phonte line is becoming more and more real..."it's like 40 years old is three-quarter life"
2647474, "It’s like 40 years old is 3/4 life" (c) Phonte
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Mar-19-18 01:07 PM
"Expensive Genes" is some of the realest shit ever.
2647437, damn i aint see he was having health issues.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Mar-19-18 10:04 AM
hope its nothing serious.
2647440, damn, health reasons....dude only 40
Posted by Cenario, Mon Mar-19-18 10:23 AM
hope he's aight.
2647442, glad he’s taking the time and not trying to gut it out
Posted by bshelly, Mon Mar-19-18 10:26 AM
Obviously want to see him back soon, but only if he’s full health.
2647443, Hope it's nothing serious buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut
Posted by auragin_boi, Mon Mar-19-18 10:30 AM
a large portion of my spidey sense is saying this is...

"Let me bail out now before we lose early in the playoffs and they blame me anyway. Bron gone but if he stays, I'm gone. *cough, cough*"

I dunno fam...seems waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too convenient. We're what...2-3 weeks away from the playoffs. Really?

*shrug*
2647446, they said this has been on the table for a minute...
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Mar-19-18 10:37 AM
but he resisted. "chest pains and other troubling symptoms...compounded by a lack of sleep"
2647455, Yeah but this too:
Posted by auragin_boi, Mon Mar-19-18 11:11 AM
"Despite a battery of tests, there have been no conclusions as to what the exact issue is."

He could very well be going through stress and exhaustion which could provoke a stroke or something but he played in the NBA...had the same pressures and stresses to an extent.

I dunno. Not minimizing the health issue but I do think he's bailing and the health issue is his cover.

If he comes back in a few weeks right before the playoffs, then I'll retract the thought but...eh.
2647463, Nah, he didn't have this kind of responsibility as a player
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Mon Mar-19-18 12:08 PM
>"Despite a battery of tests, there have been no conclusions
>as to what the exact issue is."
>
>He could very well be going through stress and exhaustion
>which could provoke a stroke or something but he played in the
>NBA...had the same pressures and stresses to an extent.

If they don't meet expectations (which is probably overly optimistic), Lue is going to get a fair share of the blame. That never happened to him as a player because he was a role player.

Plus, I don't think people really understand how hard his job has been this year. When's the last time an assumed title contender has revamped their roster to this degree and STILL been expected to make the finals?

Having LeBron makes it seem possible but cmon... that's a huge task for any coach, let alone a sophomore coach.

>I dunno. Not minimizing the health issue but I do think he's
>bailing and the health issue is his cover.
>
>If he comes back in a few weeks right before the playoffs,
>then I'll retract the thought but...eh.
2647467, Did you really just say Lue faced the same pressure as a player? lol...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Mar-19-18 12:39 PM
>"Despite a battery of tests, there have been no conclusions
>as to what the exact issue is."
>
>He could very well be going through stress and exhaustion
>which could provoke a stroke or something but he played in the
>NBA...had the same pressures and stresses to an extent.
>
>I dunno. Not minimizing the health issue but I do think he's
>bailing and the health issue is his cover.
>
>If he comes back in a few weeks right before the playoffs,
>then I'll retract the thought but...eh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bobp5OHVsWY
2647449, i think the stress mighta just reached a boiling point.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Mar-19-18 10:57 AM
where he realized this shit wasnt worth his health.
2647453, I get that but it didn't just start being stressful
Posted by auragin_boi, Mon Mar-19-18 11:09 AM
it's a job. I dunno. If it were something physical and readily identified, it'd sit better with me.
2647456, man, you my dude...
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Mar-19-18 11:14 AM
but that last line sounds ridiculous. You gotta have a concrete diagnosis in order to not be skeptical? C'mon.
2647468, agreed. "chest pains" is a get out of jail free card.
Posted by bshelly, Mon Mar-19-18 12:44 PM
somebody says chest pains, you just ask them how you can help or just let them go need what they need to do.
2647475, yeah im not gonna question chest pains.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Mar-19-18 01:07 PM
2647470, Hey, dude needs some time away from his job for health reasons
Posted by auragin_boi, Mon Mar-19-18 12:58 PM
I ain't saying they aren't legit. I'm just saying it's convenient timing.

Truth's dumb ass literally posted up a clip of Bron and Lue arguing (insinuating it might have something to do with his decision today) but I can't say 'hmmm...seems a lil fishy'?

65% of Lue's decision to take a break 'right now' is probably health related. That other 35%...I think he sees the writing on the wall.
2647480, I'm pretty sure I'm not the one being a "dumb ass" here lol...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Mar-19-18 01:37 PM
>I ain't saying they aren't legit. I'm just saying it's
>convenient timing.
>
>Truth's dumb ass literally posted up a clip of Bron and Lue
>arguing (insinuating it might have something to do with his
>decision today) but I can't say 'hmmm...seems a lil fishy'?
>
>65% of Lue's decision to take a break 'right now' is probably
>health related. That other 35%...I think he sees the writing
>on the wall.

2647481, I'm pretty sure you're always the "dumb ass" here lol...
Posted by auragin_boi, Mon Mar-19-18 01:43 PM
2647484, nice try but the responses of others say you clearly won this.
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Mar-19-18 01:53 PM
2647487, If others opinions of declared stances verifies idiocy, your history wins
Posted by auragin_boi, Mon Mar-19-18 02:23 PM
let's not deduce this to a difference of opinion in 'this' post.

I don't think Lue is being 100 about why he's stepping away. I think he is having anxiety/stress related issues, but the timing probably has a lot to do with everything that has transpired this season as well as his confidence about the post season.

If they had the best record in the league and were favorites, would he have the same issues? I tend to think he'd rough it out if so...maybe rest after the season. I could be wrong, I could be right. My opinion though.
2647489, You sound like an idiot in THIS post, take your L like a man and STFU.
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Mar-19-18 02:27 PM
2647492, Like you do? lol you'd be very quiet if so...
Posted by auragin_boi, Mon Mar-19-18 02:40 PM
Notice, how every man in here can disagree without name calling. Think about that next time you fix your dumb ass fingers to call someone dumb.
2647493, You called him a dumb ass tho
Posted by falafel stand pimpin, Mon Mar-19-18 02:45 PM
Lol
2647495, Reply #21
Posted by auragin_boi, Mon Mar-19-18 02:51 PM
2647496, RE: Reply #21
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Mar-19-18 02:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTxhK6KYFfg
2647500, I just return energy dude
Posted by auragin_boi, Mon Mar-19-18 05:14 PM
you calling me a name for a different opinion opens you up to the same.

You don't like the response, rethink your approach.

Dumbass
2647511, But are you MAD or nah?
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Mar-19-18 09:29 PM
2647457, Its more than just "a job" lol...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Mar-19-18 11:16 AM
>it's a job. I dunno. If it were something physical and
>readily identified, it'd sit better with me.

its a job that you perform on national tv every night coaching a team with the best player in the world and his future on that team in part directly relates how you perform at that job and every night you have be questioned by the national media immediately after your "shift".

Its a little more than sorting mail at the post office lol.
2647471, Yeah, getting paid millions to do so
Posted by auragin_boi, Mon Mar-19-18 01:04 PM
and having the BEST player in the league to do it with.

So yeah, it comes with expectations. His ass wasn't exhausted and stressed when he took over halfway through a season and won a title? He wasn't exhausted and stressed when they got to the finals last year and lost?

For every con you listed, there's a pro that counters it. Lue cares about the job, I get it but if it's to this point, maybe he needs to leave coaching alone because that IS the job.

>its a job that you perform on national tv every night coaching
>a team with the best player in the world and his future on
>that team in part directly relates how you perform at that job
>and every night you have be questioned by the national media
>immediately after your "shift".
>
>Its a little more than sorting mail at the post office lol.

If Bron leaves, Lue still gonna coach, as an assistant or HC. He won a f*cking title. The world will go on. There are coaches who have done it for decades and never needed a 'stress' break right before the damn playoffs. Lue still gonna be rich. That won't change. Every individual is different and again, I ain't trying to minimize any health issues but the optics don't feel 100 on this.

Even you know that...that's why you linked up the video below with a similar insinuation.
2647490, Bruh, those millions are part of the pressure
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Mar-19-18 02:37 PM
You don’t get paid that type of money and just chill.

Dude prolly thinks every phone call is that call.

His job is basically to stress all damn day about worst case scenarios.

2647494, right plus people forget these dudes still have regular lives away from...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Mar-19-18 02:51 PM
basketball.

He was just dealing with his mother and grandmother battling cancer at the same time a couple of years ago, who knows if that hasn't come back up....

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/top-stories-sports/after-keeping-quiet-for-months-cavs-coach-tyronn-lue-opens-up-about-mother-s-and-grandmother-s-cancer-crises
2647499, Legit but...
Posted by auragin_boi, Mon Mar-19-18 05:11 PM
>You don’t get paid that type of money and just chill.
>
>Dude prolly thinks every phone call is that call.

Contracts exists. The $$$ ain't going nowhere even if he gets the call. And nobody chills at that level but they can put things in perspective. It ain't like it's life or death.

>His job is basically to stress all damn day about worst case
>scenarios.

For a basketball team. Not the NSA or CIA. I know worry can lead to these things, but again, perspective. Gotta know when to turn it 'off'. I applaud him for taking the break for his health but I don't think that's all too it.

2647508, You sound mad insensitive bruh
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Mar-19-18 07:51 PM
Some folks can’t turn it on and off.

Everyone can’t be as cool as you.
2647532, That's fair...but I didn't ignore his health issue
Posted by auragin_boi, Tue Mar-20-18 08:12 AM
>Some folks can’t turn it on and off.
>
>Everyone can’t be as cool as you.

lol c'mon legs, I appreciate you keeping it 100 but we all don't see things exactly the same (hence the 'becky' slur thing in GD). Sometimes at the risk of sounding insensitive.

But you're right, some folks can't turn it on and off. I think it's best for people to learn that early on...you have to compartmentalize your work and balance it with your life. Maybe it's something Lue (and possibly other coaches) struggle with.

But working in HR, I've also seen people make hella 'excuses' as to why they can't do their job. Even if some of it is rooted in legitimacy. But for the sake of letting this breathe, I'll chalk this up as me being a little insensitive.
2647539, Cool
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Mar-20-18 08:57 AM
and trust me, internally I feel exactly like you do.

It’s just work, chill out

Unfortunately some folks can’t turn that shit off. Then again, some folks have jobs where they have to take it home with them.

Some folks work is their life. It’s unhealthy as hell but when I talk to those people they tell me they wish they could turn it off but they can’t.
2647525, RE: Legit but...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Mar-20-18 06:46 AM
He's trying to return in a week.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22833775/cleveland-cavaliers-coach-ty-lue-steps-back-focus-health

Cleveland Cavaliers coach Tyronn Lue is stepping away from coaching to focus on his health, the team said Monday.

Lue told ESPN's Rachel Nichols via text message that his goal is to return in about a week.

Lue, 40, left Saturday night's 114-109 victory against the Chicago Bulls with an illness, marking the third time this season that his health has kept him from coaching an entire game.

"After many conversations with our doctors and Koby and much thought given to what is best for the team and my health, I need to step back from coaching for the time being and focus on trying to establish a stronger and healthier foundation from which to coach for the rest of the season," Lue said in a statement.

"I have had chest pains and other troubling symptoms, compounded by a loss of sleep, throughout the year. Despite a battery of tests, there have been no conclusions as to what the exact issue is."
Ty Lue replaced David Blatt as Cavaliers coach in January 2016. Brad Rempel/USA TODAY Sports

Lue has also been coughing up blood, team sources told ESPN's Dave McMenamin.

Associate head coach Larry Drew will take over in the interim.

" texted me about 1:30 this morning and just told me, 'It's your show,'" Drew said Monday. "He wants me to go out there and just kind of do what I do.

"We'll tweak some things, we'll add some things, but for the most part we'll do what we've been doing. I don't want to confuse the guys."

Lue pushed to return to Saturday's game, league sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, only to be persuaded by staff to stay in the locker room and let Drew finish the game.

The team "shut him down," one source familiar with what happened told McMenamin. "The only way it was going to happen was if they did it," the source said. "He never wanted to be perceived as letting his team down. They took the decision out of his hands."

Lue is hoping to reset his health with a new personal chef, regular exercise, rest and medication.

"While I have tried to work through it, the last thing I want is for it to affect the team," Lue said in the statement. "I am going to use this time to focus on a prescribed routine and medication, which has previously been difficult to start in the midst of a season. My goal is to come out of it a stronger and healthier version of myself so I can continue to lead this team to the Championship we are all working towards."

Said Altman: "We know how difficult these circumstances are for Coach Lue and we support him totally in this focused approach to addressing his health issues."

"It's probably well overdue," forward LeBron James told reporters Monday. "He's been going through a lot this season."

"I think players understand that coaches go through just like players do," Drew said Monday. "What T. Lue has shown is shown the warrior that he is. If you would have left it up to him he'd be sitting in this chair right now instead of me, that's just who he is.

"He wants to be with the team, but there comes a point where you have to take a step back and you really have to assess things ... this thing has kind of been lingering just a little bit too long. He needs to really just step away and allow himself to heal before rejoining the team."

Lue had to leave a loss to the Orlando Magic on Feb. 6 because he was not feeling well. He also missed a game Dec. 21 against the Bulls with an undisclosed illness, needing to stay in the locker room after arriving at the arena and going through his pregame media duties.

Lue was shaken when Charlotte Hornets coach Steve Clifford missed 21 games earlier this season because of headaches caused by sleep deprivation. At the time, Clifford said doctors told him he needed to change his lifestyle and work habits dramatically.

Clifford reached out to Lue on Monday but hadn't yet connected with him, Clifford told ESPN.

Clifford coached Lue as part of staffs in Orlando and Houston and has enjoyed a strong relationship with him.

"I feel for Ty," said Warriors coach Steve Kerr. "We've been in contact and we -- health is everything. This game is fun, and it's exciting, and we all love our jobs. But we just want to be healthy. We just want everyone to be healthy: the players, the coaches. So we're thinking about Ty and hoping he can recover quickly and find some answers and get back on the sidelines because he's a great guy. He's a great representative for their team and for the league."

When asked what might contribute to health-related issues for NBA coaches, Kerr said, "I think sleep is a big deal.

"There's a lot of recovery that goes on when you're resting, and you need that. You need to eat well; you need to stay hydrated. But things happen. That's what I've learned. Stuff happens, unexpected stuff. And you've got to just deal with it and do the best you can."

Lue considered stepping away earlier in the season due to his health issues, but he resisted during the team's early-season free fall because he didn't want to give the appearance that he was leaving the team during a losing streak. He resisted stepping away again after February's trade deadline roster overhaul because he wanted to help integrate the new players into Cleveland's lineup, league sources told Wojnarowski.

"Now you guys understand what coaches have to go through," Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek said. "It's hard. ... It's tough. It's a stressful job. And it's hard because all the coaches work extremely long hours. There's always a game to watch, always another film to watch. You want to be as best prepared as you can and sometimes you fail to realize what your health is doing with lack of sleep and stuff like that."

ESPN's Michael C. Wright, Nick Friedell, Ian Begley and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
2647507, Maybe he really doesn't have any more in the tank.
Posted by B.J.S.301, Mon Mar-19-18 07:34 PM
I mean, even if your statement happens to be true, maybe he ain't got no more in the tank to handle even that type of stress. I think he might just be throwing in the towel and just saying he can't go no more.
2647552, Smh. This kinda dumbshit is why more ppl don't speak up
Posted by LA2Philly, Tue Mar-20-18 11:31 AM
2647454, It's interesting, this just happened a few days ago:
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Mar-19-18 11:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faqS4crP0pE

Now as a black man a few years older that Ty Lue that has dealt with similar issues and hypertension and my job is nowhere near as stressful as his, it could all be related...

Or it could be Bron letting him down easy, or maybe Lue just decided that he had enough, who knows...
2647458, lol funniest part of that is that lue looked like he knew he messed up
Posted by Cenario, Mon Mar-19-18 11:33 AM
after too.
2647459, Lue later said Lebron had asked for a sub and Lue didn't hear him...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Mar-19-18 11:52 AM
https://youtu.be/woMjcqIZ_W0?t=101
2647477, Glad dude is taking care of himself and getting time to get better
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Mar-19-18 01:09 PM
Shit, it could be severe anxiety issues (which I imagine are frequent for an NBA coach).

No matter what it is, he's making the right decision by taking the time off to get right.
2647482, Chronic stress is a serial & insidious killer
Posted by LA2Philly, Mon Mar-19-18 01:44 PM
And that's just for the average person...now imagine going through the level of stress that an NBA coach has to deal with, especially one on a time with championship level expectations.

Being able to mitigate and handle stress is one of the key things for any coach. Glad Coach Lue made this difficult choice and stepped away, at least for the short term.
2647488, Dayum...Lue is only 40Y.O...Cavs HC job aged him like Obama
Posted by bentagain, Mon Mar-19-18 02:25 PM
2647498, Glad he made that move before he had a Gerard Houllier-type incident
Posted by magilla vanilla, Mon Mar-19-18 04:06 PM
2647546, I'm here.
Posted by Dr Claw, Tue Mar-20-18 11:19 AM
and .... yeah, no comment other than "BShelly is right"

without reading all of the other comments
2660360, Ty Lue reveals he is being treated for anxiety...
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Jun-01-18 08:11 AM
guess that's REAL enough. Changed up his diet and is on medication.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23659954/cleveland-cavaliers-coach-tyronn-lue-reveals-being-treated-anxiety
2660364, good for him
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Jun-01-18 08:18 AM