Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI'mma be real...This Cavs trade make a nigga think the NBA fixed.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2643256
2643256, I'mma be real...This Cavs trade make a nigga think the NBA fixed.
Posted by Basaglia, Tue Feb-13-18 09:25 AM

Rodney and Hill for Crowder, Washed Rose, Injured Shump, 2nd rounder, some cash and 40 year-old Joe Johnson?

How the fuck you get the two best players in a 3 team deal? Shump and Crowder not even expiring.

Clarkson and Nance? Now that was a fair deal. Cleveland sent their own first and took on salary. And if you wanna say IT is an all-star...FINE. But I also think it's a ruse to distract a muhfucka from that 3-team monstrosity of competitive ethics.

It's just hitting me, but the league can't afford to not have Bron back in the Finals. Too much momentum right now.

And The Brooklyn pick bout to be somebody. Somebody good.
2643260, they did the same thing a few years ago when they got Mosgov, JR & Shump...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Feb-13-18 09:43 AM
at the trade deadline for Dion and a bag of dildos
2643263, of course its fixed. get the cavs back right
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Feb-13-18 09:48 AM
get the lakers out of cap hell to get some stars our way.

silver still running off stern's blueprint. it's just got a little more gloss on it.
2643268, RE: of course its fixed. get the cavs back right
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Feb-13-18 10:04 AM
>get the lakers out of cap hell to get some stars our way.
>
>silver still running off stern's blueprint. it's just got a
>little more gloss on it.

The league has never been about helping the Lakers, see Chris Paul trade
2643269, that was then. we were too poppin.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Feb-13-18 10:07 AM
now they want us poppin again.
2643267, Too many perennially shitty franchises
Posted by falafel stand pimpin, Tue Feb-13-18 10:03 AM
who every season give away players for pennies on the dollar
2643273, one thing, man...didn't you party on that pick several times...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Feb-13-18 10:28 AM
earlier in the year? Asking for the sake of dat 'tegrity.
2643274, RE: one thing, man...didn't you party on that pick several times...
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Tue Feb-13-18 10:37 AM
the pick imo will still be slotted for the 6-10 range.

The nets are slumping but its only a few games separation up and down.

Theyve been struggling since RHJ and then Caris went out. Theyre the team that wont tank down the stretch so theyll bump a few wins and be right in the mix again as long as Caris and RHJ arent out long after the AS break
2643283, Yeah but anything in the top 8 can bounce top 3
Posted by auragin_boi, Tue Feb-13-18 11:08 AM
I was JUST looking this up and surprisingly, the only year since 2000 that the draft lottery went as expected was 2016. Every other year, 1-3 teams jumped slots.

And even then, if BKN stays top 6-7, that's still a shot at somebody like Porter Jr. O_o
2643289, i'd still be partying if i wasn't sure they gon cheat and make it top 3.
Posted by Basaglia, Tue Feb-13-18 11:16 AM
2643275, I don't think the NBA loses anything with the Cavs missing out
Posted by pretentious username, Tue Feb-13-18 10:38 AM
they had their trilogy of Warriors-Cavs match-ups, which was very exciting and never happened before, but I don't think a 4th one is all that intriguing compared to a new match-up for the Warriors (or a new match-up altogether). Also if Bron misses out it will become a redemption storyline for him for next season.
2643280, Lebron is still the most popular player in the league, nobody wants to...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Feb-13-18 11:04 AM
see the Raptors in the Finals outside of Canada.

The Celtics would probably get smoked worse than the Cavs did last year.
2643293, I don't think they want the Raptors in
Posted by pretentious username, Tue Feb-13-18 11:25 AM
>see the Raptors in the Finals outside of Canada.
>
>The Celtics would probably get smoked worse than the Cavs did
>last year.

But Boston's a big market and a fresh match-up. I'm not talking about series outcome (Cavs probably get smoked too tbh), I just think a 4th of the same series won't have as much interest.
2643653, and there it is..
Posted by LegacyNS, Wed Feb-14-18 06:40 PM
>nobody wants to...
>see the Raptors in the Finals outside of Canada.
>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================
2643286, Hm. I think you are wrong.
Posted by Tiger Woods, Tue Feb-13-18 11:09 AM
2643291, nah they need either the cavs or the celtics
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Feb-13-18 11:18 AM
like we know the champion will be out the west, but at least one of those 2 adds some intrigue. nobody cares about the raptors or anyone else.
2643292, If fully healthy
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Feb-13-18 11:23 AM
the Rockets would be quite fun to watch, especially if Harden goes gonzo in the Finals. To be honest, I'd rather watch them than the Warriors just to switch things up a bit.
2643295, I want to see the CP3 2nd round curse continue.
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Feb-13-18 11:27 AM
2643287, Gasol for Kwame Brown is 10x worse.
Posted by Tiger Woods, Tue Feb-13-18 11:10 AM
2643375, Great trade for the Grizz. Got a huge expiring contract and a future AS
Posted by theeraser, Tue Feb-13-18 04:13 PM
2643595, Grizz got Marc Gasol's draft rights..
Posted by LegacyNS, Wed Feb-14-18 02:43 PM
And don't give me no BS about how Pau was so much further along than Marc. No one said that when the Cavs traded Wiggins for Love.. lol
<---- 5....

2643632, You can't forget how important expirings were in that cap environment
Posted by theeraser, Wed Feb-14-18 05:15 PM
2643782, that trade wasn't bad at all in hindsight
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu Feb-15-18 05:26 PM
and i give credit to my pops for saying on the day they made it it wasn't that bad, he also called that marc would be the centerpiece of the deal although he did think crittendon wasn't totally washed (like most people).

at the time i thought it was awful but mainly because i had only seen marc play a little and thought he was just a banger. i never thought the KG trade was a bad one.
2643374, Stern openly intervened to stop Kobe from passing MJ
Posted by theeraser, Tue Feb-13-18 04:12 PM
2643596, chuch
Posted by LegacyNS, Wed Feb-14-18 02:43 PM

<---- 5....

2643376, The Cavs got the #1 pick 3 years out of 4, NOW you realize it's fixed?
Posted by theeraser, Tue Feb-13-18 04:14 PM
2643378, I always go back to one thing when thinking about this topic:
Posted by pretentious username, Tue Feb-13-18 04:20 PM
the 2007 draft lottery.

like why in tf would they let Portland and Seattle have those picks when everyone thought Oden and Durant were the best things since sliced bread? I can ALMOST buy into NBA conspiracy theories until I think about that. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I just can't wrap my mind around that one.

Also I was watching the lottery live and some Celts fan in a bar had already made a #20 Oden jersey when we had like a 1 in 5 chance of getting that pick. I'll never stop laughing at that guy.
2643406, in 2013, getting the #1 pick was a L no matter how you sliced it
Posted by Dr Claw, Tue Feb-13-18 08:08 PM
2643409, I don't know if I trust the Nets pick
Posted by Dr Claw, Tue Feb-13-18 08:12 PM
2643410, I've heard some fascinating arguments as to how/why the NBA is fixed
Posted by Vex_id, Tue Feb-13-18 08:16 PM
Don't think this is one of them. If the NBA wanted to fix something like this - wouldn't they put some more stars on the team instead of good role players? This doesn't guarantee anything and people are getting too syced off one game. Though I think this trade is great for CLE they still have to gel in limited time.

The storyline of Ky toppling Bron is huge for the NBA - and at some point they need to transition to a new narrative - so I think that they would be far more blatant in pairing Bron with multi-stars (to be on-par w/ GSW) if they wanted to 'fix" this.

That said - this dude is wild AF but sometimes he does make me contemplate some things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUO2RyUlQog

-->
2643601, Agreed on the Lakers trade (win/win) but that other ish? come THE fuck on..
Posted by LegacyNS, Wed Feb-14-18 02:55 PM
lol
<---- 5....

2643617, Then look harder - the 3 way deal was about salaries
Posted by LA2Philly, Wed Feb-14-18 04:29 PM
Cleveland willing to take on Hill’s big deal and take on Hood who will likely get a nice offer sheet this summer.

In exchange, Utah gets a cost controlled player in Crowder (signed through 2020 on about 7.5 million per year) and Sacramento gets a total of 17 million off their books

Looks like you’ve been listening to Kyrie too much. Conspiracies are what make stupid people feel smart.
2643654, right? like...this is easy to figure out.
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Feb-14-18 07:13 PM
and allllll of the deals had been previously rumored as possibilities.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
2643655, cost-controlled? more like sorry-controlled.
Posted by Basaglia, Wed Feb-14-18 07:32 PM

utah could have gotten a rotation player and first rounder for hood, who's valued far more by NBA scouts and coaches than by fans and media. for them to only get back crowder is BS.

sac got joe, zach, barnes, tolliver, afflalo and vince coming off the books for nearly 40m this year, so don't act like george hill was killing them. besides, what top FA they signing? who they making room for again?

looks like you been listening to oatmeal face rap too much.
2643656, exactly... the fuck I want Crowder for.. lolololol
Posted by LegacyNS, Wed Feb-14-18 07:38 PM

<---- 5....

2643657, he tried to make that shit sound reasonable.
Posted by Basaglia, Wed Feb-14-18 07:41 PM
2643658, it almost worked lol
Posted by isaaaa, Wed Feb-14-18 07:59 PM

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com
2643661, Bias has them blinders on ya
Posted by Premiere, Wed Feb-14-18 09:21 PM
Wasn't anyone in the world giving up a first-rounder for Hood, much less a decent player on a decent contract and a first-rounder. I think they sold low too, but they want to stay relevant, and Crowder clearly can help them do that (see his two games back since getting traded).

Hood's gonna cost 20 million this summer if he plays anything like he's capable of, even in this market. Utah knew it wasn't resigning him, so they got something rather than nothing. Don't forget Utah also got off Joe Johnson's money in that deal as well.
2643663, crowder is pure ass. fuck them two games.
Posted by Basaglia, Wed Feb-14-18 09:49 PM
2643662, Lol, do better than this
Posted by LA2Philly, Wed Feb-14-18 09:41 PM
Let's start with Hood.

Hood is a RFA - I'll hold your hand like a child because you don't seem to understand what that implies here. No team is giving up a rotational player + a 1st when they can sign him to an offer sheet in the summer and potentially get him without giving up any assets. To think that a team would give up those assets just for the right to match his contract is dumb

Now let's move onto Sac's cap.

You're just flat wrong on Sacramento's cap. They have 20 million coming off the cap.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/SAC.html

That woulda taken you 10 seconds, tops, to check....or wait, let me guess - there's another conspiracy theory in which the NBA is going to create a 1 time rule for guys named Zach to renege on their deals and force Koufos and Temple to not take their player options.

Taking the least probable scenarios - that Utah had a better offer but turned it down, that Sac would just shrug their shoulders at saving 17million bc they already have money coming off the books - and attributing it to some conspiracy theory is the realm of idiots.
2643664, why you so pressed to defend this trash trade and name call?
Posted by Basaglia, Wed Feb-14-18 09:50 PM
that's what i wanna know.

it's always the "above it all" nigga who been retaining so much hate that the shit comes out over something as benign as a philosophical disagreement about perceived player value in a 3-way trade.

2643667, Bc we have enough stupidity in the world man
Posted by LA2Philly, Wed Feb-14-18 09:57 PM
Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's a conspiracy. Take the time to look at the details and understand the context of why things happen.

edit: to respond to your edit, this isn't about player value - as I already wrote in the subject of my first reply - "this deal was about the salaries". If you want to reply to stuff, try reading it in the first place. You being called out on your ignorance of NBA trade and financial dynamics and then trying to attribute it to some irrational factor isn't hate, it's simply calling it for what it is: idiocy.
2643668, bro, MAYBE i just didn't have the information...
Posted by Basaglia, Wed Feb-14-18 10:01 PM
i used hoopshype...

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/sacramento_kings/

it's a little different than basketball reference.

and giving up a 1st (and a rotation player) for a potential all-star caliber guy has been done before...EVEN for just the right to match.

lonzo sorry.

edit: take the time to understand why stern shoved his dick in y'all ass over that paul deal.
2643669, Ah, hoopshype has way too many errors these days
Posted by LA2Philly, Wed Feb-14-18 10:07 PM
As for Hood - it's been done before but if you look at the NBA cap situation this summer, it's extremely limited (only 10 teams have over 10 million in space) so that really limits his trade market...the other 20 teams will have to go into the penalty to sign him whereas the other 10 know they can potentially sign him to an offer sheet that wouldn't be worth going into the penalty for.

edit: Because that team's cost was being shared by all the NBA owners and Stern's primary job was to get the Hornets sold to a new owner. He knew that a non-leveraged (low salary) team with a high draft pick is far more attractive than a highly-leveraged (high salary) middling team.

Now if you want to talk about conspiracies - the Clippers (the only other suitors for CP3 at the time) coincidentally being the highest-bidder for Chauncey (after the Knicks used the amnesty on him) which gave them a replacement for Eric Gordon (over whom trade talks had previously broken down) resulting in that deal going through raises a few eyebrows.
2643670, hadn't heard that before about the paul deal. thanks for the info.
Posted by Basaglia, Wed Feb-14-18 10:22 PM

had no dog in the fight, but wanting to keep kobe from getting 6 sounded much better.
2643698, 29 other teams to make a deal with.... had to be Hood to CLE tho... ok
Posted by LegacyNS, Thu Feb-15-18 08:29 AM

<---- 5....

2643707, smh
Posted by LA2Philly, Thu Feb-15-18 09:30 AM
2643675, ^^ now even more worried celts might have to play philly 1st round
Posted by Riot, Wed Feb-14-18 11:21 PM
2643677, like i give a fuck. let me repeat: kyrie got a ring.
Posted by Basaglia, Wed Feb-14-18 11:28 PM

i don't understand why y'all keep tryna get that train rolling again. i will ignore all postseason kyrie slander like it's the ugly bitch in a group of 3.