Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectthe Ralph Gracie / Flavio Almeida thing highlighted a lot of issues
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2639991&mesg_id=2689246
2689246, the Ralph Gracie / Flavio Almeida thing highlighted a lot of issues
Posted by T Reynolds, Thu Feb-28-19 09:33 AM
in BJJ

territorialism, greed, vigilantism

and that's the thing with lineage. I went to a Dave Camarillo seminar at my academy and heard nothing but good things about Professor Camarillo, but then when I look up his lineage and I see he is under Ralph Gracie, it kind of made me stop and think. Just like black belts are careful who they give the black belt to because of the way their actions can reflect on their instructor, same can happen when someone formerly respected with tons of students turns serious heel.

Sidenote: not sure if you heard, 10th Planet is opening a location in NYC. They are opening with Eddie Bravo seminar this weekend which funny enough will be hosted at my JKD school. The shared space will be their temporary home, with the 10p brown belts Rey Deleon and Cece Mena teaching classes. I definitely look forward to training a little in the 10p system, the guy Rey's closed guard that I've seen in comp (specifically against Mike Davila) is ridiculous.